A parish liturgist?
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Questions for interviewing an organist.
  • ghmus7
    This reminds me once about when our parish was hiring a liturgist. I thought a good question was: When is the Gloria sung and not sung during the liturgical year?
    The committee thought this was a ridiculous question. They were more interested in pastoral questions.
  • francis
    That is because a parish that hires a liturgist is rediculous to begin with. The liturgist IS the pastor and the priest. Period! And if they encourage or allow a 'liturgist' to be hired, it shows how far afield they are from their own vocation.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That is because a parish that hires a liturgist is rediculous to begin with. The liturgist IS the pastor and the priest. Period! And if they encourage or allow a 'liturgist' to be hired, it shows how far afield they are from their own vocation.

I suppose this depends on your definition of the term liturgist.

I think many parishes could benefit by a full-time liturgical person / Master of Ceremonies, especially in parishes where the liturgy is celebrated faithfully and fully, and especially in parishes where there is only one priest.
  • kenstb
    A well trained liturgist is a great help to all of the liturgical ministries. Often we need someone to ask questions of before mass. It is true that the pastor is the one from whom that authority flows, but I like having a liturgist because in a parish such as mine, (where folks other than the choir don't like to practice) it puts an obstacle between confused people and the priest immediately prior to his celebrating the mass. I have spent many years chasing people away from the sacristy prior to mass, since they are seemingly unaware that the priest is vesting and praying. I tell my folks that if we are bothering the priest within 20 minutes of mass, we have already started off on the wrong foot.
  • francis
    Yes. It totally depends on the definition of the word 'liturgist'. A good MOC is indispensable. However, I have worked under 'liturgy committees' that truly represent the perfect descent into ignorance.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • kenstb
    I think the important thing is that they be "well trained". While I have had to introduce a few liturgists and clergy to the GIRM and other documents, I have never had to deal with a liturgy committee. I don't see what the use of a committee is if I am the liturgical musician in the parish, trained in both music and the liturgy of the catholic church. What does a liturgy committee do? If they don't compose music or rehearse singers or play an instrument, why would I listen to anything that they have to say? In my mind, I am either qualified to do this work or I am not. If I'm not, then I shouldn't be employed. If I am, then I should be allowed to do the work without the interference of folks who couldn't do my job if they had to.
  • BenBen

I actually don't see anything wrong with having someone who handles liturgy for the priest and helps him plan things, because in many situations, it is actually needed, or at the very least, helpful for him.

But that's not called a "liturgist," that's called a Master of Ceremonies, and always works in concert with the priest to make life easier for him. As MC, I help him organizing the servers, and even turning the pages of the missal, leaving him to simply pray and not worry about what has to happen next, where to switch to in the missal, which proper prayers are used for the octave in the canon, etc.

I point, he prays. I guide him, when needed, if something different is happening. I instruct the servers to any changes, and keep up with the liturgical calendar and the missal so I see them in advance, and if there's something coming up, I meet (or more likely, Facebook chat) with him to figure out details so that I can get the needed things together, going through the missal, GIRM, as well as the old rite (for continuity sake), after which I coordinate with the servers and music director. My pastor is very busy, and I do this in my parish, which works wonderfully.

For the first few weeks, it was an adjustment having me stand next to him at the altar and do things for him (another example, from my parish's Easter Sunday Mass), but once he got used to it, he likes it much better. That's how it's typically done in the Roman rite when the priest needs assistance, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.
  • Well said, Ben. And we should note that you are talking about a master of ceremonies, not a so-called liturgist. With a priest, acolyte master, master of ceremonies, and choirmaster who know what they are doing, one of these 'liturgists' is neither needed nor even dreamed of.
  • CharlesW
    Our liturgy committee doesn't do much with the actual liturgy. They don't deal with music or the prescribed order of the mass. The committee handles the practical things such as altar flowers, ordering candles, altar linens, and the like. It is probably misnamed but that is what it has always done.
  • francis
    CharlesW

Yes, misnamed. That is an altar guild and more aptly describes the responsibilities of such. The liturgy committees I have worked with have been given carte blanche to call the shots on every account for content in the liturgy, usually comprised of lay parishioners, have no knowledge of liturgy at all, and love to innovate to their hearts content. True name, Formal Abuse Committee.

Now, that being said, I have been on a liturgy committee that comprised all the priests and deacons, the DRE (who was more knowedgeable about liturgy than the clergy) and myself. That was really quite a good experience and our liturgies were quite beautiful, sacred and honorable.
    Thanked by 2kenstb Jenny
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Yes, YMMV on Liturgy Committees.

I do find the anti-intellectualism of the sentiment that professional Liturgists are not needed to be a bit scary though.

The clergy don't know everything. Unless they seek out more liturgical formation on their own, their seminary training on the subject is often lacking.

Of course I'm operating on the assumption that a liturgist so employed would be trained in an orthodox manner and be interested in promoting orthodox liturgies.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • kevinfkevinf
    There are liturgy committees and then there are "liturgy committees." It all depends on the pastor and his willingness (or naivete) to allow the innovation,etc. Although, sometimes the pastor is the creator of innovation and nuttiness. The worship committee where I am at is more of mechanics and logistics, making sure there are ministers in their proper roles and appropriately trained.

I also find the beating down of liturgists very disconcerting. I do consider myself a liturgist, having spent years poring over ritual books and rubrics (I have a liturgical theological education). I am counted on to bring those to the attention of my pastor. I also abhor many of my musical confreres who have no understanding of the rituals or rubrics and could frankly, care less.
  • francis
    Of course I'm operating on the assumption that a liturgist so employed would be trained in an orthodox manner and be interested in promoting orthodox liturgies.
    Well, now, that's a novel idea! I have never met such a person with the title of Liturgist.

Kevin, we need more 'liturgists' like you. Do you bear the title also?
    Thanked by 1kenstb
    Beyond the usual mud slinging and name calling, there is a real legitimate tension between the academic side of liturgy and the practice of it.

I subscribe to "Worship," the academic peer-reviewed liturgy journal. I just read an article in it before Holy Week about the origins of the foot washing ritual on Holy Thursday. The author made a very good and academic case, appealing to history, for why the foot washing should include everyone and not be limited to a small number, with their feet washed by the priest.

Of course we know that the current rubrics require. I would not take his idea and actually implement it because it is not currently lawful to do so.

But where is the line between academic study (which can inform bishops, who can in turn lobby for official change thus making a practice lawful) and practice? It can be a very thin line.

And the normal hysteria (i.e. "I know liturgy professors who just think that liturgists should be creative and make it up because they're sooooo libbbbbberal and hate orthodoxy") is not at all helpful nor genuine.
  • kevinfkevinf
    While I,too read Worship and yes, it is a peer-reviewed journal, please consider the source. Collegeville is not a hotbed of traditionalism.
    Thanked by 3Ben francis melofluent
    What would you say about other liturgy intensive places such as Notre Dame? I believe that there is an inherent "liberalism," i.e. open mindedness that must correspond to academic inquiry.

Of course, as I said, the purpose of study is to inform rubrics, not to change them on our own authority.
  • BenBen
    Here's what I would say: stay far away from anything that comes from Collegeville. Open mindedness and disobedience/dissidence are two different things, and Collegeville typically tends towards the latter.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Ally

Well, now, that's a novel idea! I have never met such a person with the title of Liturgist.

You all should come visit the Liturgical Institute. Joyful and faithful! I do bear the title of liturgist, am trained in an orthodox manner (have only 2 courses left in the master's program there), and am interested in promoting orthodox liturgies, and I know many other people who would fit that description.

I second the call to end the beat-down of liturgists...really quite unhelpful to the promotion of good liturgy. Instead, why not support, promote, and seek out the right people?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW G
  • kevinfkevinf
    Be careful. There are lots of good and faithful people at Collegeville.

Notre Dame Has been moving toward "pragmatic orthodoxy" for some time. While it is complicated, I have many dear friends at ND.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • kenstb
    I don't think that those of us who have had bad experiences with liturgists are inflicting a "beat-down" on all liturgists. Just the ones who haven't made sense. It is important to us to have legitimate and licit advice when we put together the liturgy for the faithful, and although a particular school may be dear to one of us, schools do have reputations in the relevant community and that helps people like me to make better decisions in interviewing and hiring prospective colleagues.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Some of us bear the title 'liturgist' because our diocese could never afford to pay on par w/ union musicians' wages.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    These days if you want to do church music any justice you must train yourself in liturgy in all its aspects. In my own case I am a member of the local Guild of St Stephen. I'm glad that most clergy whom I have worked for have been largely keen on my advice when it comes to liturgy.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I think this thread was just the thing to start my day at the office. I had to chuckle a little since my title is Director of Sacred Liturgy at my parish. I may share how that came about with any of you coming to the colloquium. :)
  • There is a reason that there is a work of fiction called The Death of a Liturgist. (No, I'm not going to suggest which reasons might cause it to exist.)

Based on my own experience, both the idea of a layman serving as Director of Liturgy and a cabbal of lay(wo)men serving as a liturgy committee are bad. Is it possible that such limbs could be good? I suppose, but I've never seen it be so, and I have seen both.

"Sentire cum ecclesia", or "instaurare Omnia in Christo" or something similar should be the only question in an interview for either post.

• kevinfkevinf
    @cgz; The problem with your argument is that the pastor may or may not "think" with the Church. Thats how we got into this mess in the first place, owing to the notion that the local "church" knows better than the Church and that clerics dismiss the larger Church's "thinking", settling to a group in the parish to make decisions who are ill-formed or not at all.. But then, now we are into ecclesiology, which has been my gripe all along. After all, who "gave" these people the power to form and create
    "liturgy" committees.

And by the way, my title does include the blasphemy word "liturgist."
    Thanked by 1Ally
    I can think of about 1000 legitimate activities for a liturgist to do that do not have anything to do with making things up.

And creativity in liturgists isn't a bad thing either. How about someone who can figure out an entrance rite incorporating the propers that won't make the people in the pews go nuts? Might take some creativity.
  • francis
    I can think of about 1000 legitimate activities for a liturgist to do that do not have anything to do with making things up.

Unfortunately, for the most part they have ignored the legitimate activities and have focused on making things up.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, this has been most instructive. Just think when you hear/read the word "liturgist" of its real definition: "liturgical coordinator." There, done, problem solved. Next?

francis, you must have uncanny powers of bi-location like P.Pio and other saints to have such first hand information on the practices of thousands of individuals and parishes! Wow.
    Or maybe you're a secretive Rosicrucian? (I won't tell if you won't)
  • Ally
    Instaurare Omnia in Christo

Ah! The motto of the Liturgical Institute. Thank you, St. Pius X.

I'm sure we all have negative experiences of "liturgists" just as we all have negative experiences of "organists" and "conductors", etc. I'd like to propose that there are legit liturgists, though, who could actually be lay women, and that might be ok! (Not all laywomen involved in church stuff want to be priests or something...there is a healthy way of seeing the feminine genius in leadership without being all crazy). I also have an excellent prayer and worship committee that assists me in organizing, preparing, etc the liturgy so that the pastor doesn't have to worry about the details (we make sure we carry out what he wants, we don't "invent"). They also train the various other liturgical volunteers (lectors, EMHCs, servers) so that we know everyone is trained properly. Members of my committee are required to know the GIRM and to read SC, at the very least. If you are required to have a committee (like this diocese says), then make the best of it! Sometimes they mean well, don't know any better, but they are open to knowing!

I'd like to propose that positive experiences in this regard *are* possible.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • I honestly don't believe in having an entire committee for the Sacred Liturgy. Though my title has Liturgy in it, my primary function is to coordinate with the priest on how to execute the Liturgy in a way that is faithful to Holy Mother Church. Basically, he says, "I want to do this action on this particular feast. I have this idea for how to make it possible. Can you get the people to do it? If you can't, can you think of another way to make it happen?"

Too many chiefs and not enough indians is never a good senario. I think if you have a faithful priest who employs an individual to help educate the laity in how to faithfully participate in the Liturgy, then you've got plenty of manpower to get the job done.
  • SalieriSalieri
    In the ideal world every parish would have a parish liturgist/MC; and they'd either be a clone of Don Guido Marini or Bill Riccio.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW

Francis a Rosicrucian? HAHAHAHA ROFL
  • francis
    francis, you must have uncanny powers of bi-location like P.Pio and other saints to have such first hand information on the practices of thousands of individuals and parishes! Wow.

melo:

I still haven't got that bi-lo thing happening yet. Please pray for me. {BLACK}

As for Rosicrucianism, no I am part of the OTO and am the Liturgist of the Gnostic Mass. {DEEP PURPLE and BOLD ITALIC} Alister Crowley was the one who made up that 'mess', but he had deeper resources.

(just read about that one... wow... look it up... it's quite blantantly Satanic.) BTW... have you ever read the encyclical on Rosicrucianism? (AMORC).

Other than that, I have never met a liturgist (yet) that has that title and did what needed to be done. So I guess my only experience is to have been scared, scarred, and scrapped by them. This does not mean that there aren't good ones. Ally and Kevin promise us that this is the case. I guess we are all 'liturgists' in some capacity. I prefer the title 'choirmaster and organist' myself.

But this begs the question: How long has the official position of 'RC Liturgist' been around and where can I read about this position as it has served the church throughout history? In my book (usually all printed before 1960), the bishop and his priests were it. Correct me if I am wrong.
    It's that whole Vatican II thing about the Universal Call to Holiness and legitimate ministries of the laity. Not everything recent is bad.

Contrary to what some here think, Vatican II was not meant to just let everything continue exactly as it was with only a few new minor changes in personal outlook. It really was meant to change things. The empowerment of the laity is one way it did just that.

Besides, the average parish today doesn't have a Pastor and 4 associate priests who could do a lot of things. More lay involvement is needed as a practical matter.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As in what seems all things Vaticana, there are provisos and options that "grant" faculties of some sort and dimension to various "enactors." I was recently discussing with our new pastor how one of our celebrants has more or less revived the very real office as a "commentator." Our pastor knew the Italian term for it. He acknowledged that as a specifically different role than of a MoCeremonies, but.......also (without endorsing the necessity of this office) noted that the IGRM is quite specific about at which moments a commentator can "embolize" the rites, AND that all remarks are to be kept to a bare minimum. I don't personally have a problem with a celebrant functioning in that manner, but I would with a deacon or lay minister.
    And as per usual, the multiple and prolific use and growth of ad libitum commentary has led to the worst sort of ritual abuse, its own obfuscation by those ordained to enact it.
  • G
    And the normal hysteria (i.e. "I know liturgy professors who just think that liturgists should be creative and make it up because they're sooooo libbbbbberal and hate orthodoxy") is not at all helpful nor genuine.
    I don't know that I would call that "hysteria", but some do have very strong antipathy toward, whether you believe in their existence or not, people in positions of liturgical authority in parishes and dioceses who do "make it up."
    It may not be "helpful" to you, but for anyone to assert that someone else's reaction is not "genuine" strikes me as presumptuous and even arrogant.

I know I've told the story here before of one LitCommie who complained about my contributions to meetings, "I hate it, she always has some REASON."
    But another with whom I often locked horns became a very good friend, since we were never disagreeable in our disagreements, and because she came to realize that she could get the straight dope from me -- she had been dependent for information from a diocesan hack who never met an innovation or piece of silly music he didn't like, and never did "have a reason."
    Many very well-intentioned people have just been dragooned into serving on parish committees but never been given the tools for making decisions, or even for finding primary sources.

Ally, congratulations on your soon-to-be Masters, the Liturgical Institute, (ad multos annos, Fr Martis Dr McN, Linda Cerabona et al!) is a jewel in Chicago's crown.
    The Liturgical Institute is itself a "restorative" to some of the liturgical silliness that has gone on in the area.
    I met a young priest over lunch at a workshop there once. The morning session had more or less been about rubrics, and he told how it had taken him a while to appreciate the importance of careful celebration, since when just out of the seminary, older priests kept telling him things like, "Oh, we don't bother with the ablutions here..."
    Another priest at the table said that he could top that, he had finished seminary and been ordained without having once been assigned to so much as look at the General Instruction and he wasn't even sure what it covered.
    Anyway, you parish is fortunate to have you!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    ablutions!

GESUNDHEIT!
  • francis
    Contrary to what some here think, Vatican II was not meant to just let everything continue exactly as it was with only a few new minor changes in personal outlook. It really was meant to change things. The empowerment of the laity is one way it did just that.

I totally agree that VII was meant to change everything. I also agree that the empowerment of the laity was one of the things it accomplished.

Now let's review the fruit.
    Thanked by 2Wendi dad29
  • kenstb
    While the empowerment of the laity may have been one of the aims of Vatican II, I do not believe that they intended to give free reign to some of the novelty that ensued. I am certain that the council fathers never meant to abandon us to the whims of so-called experts who invented theories about liturgy and then produced music that lived down to those theories.
  • francis
    While the empowerment of the laity may have been one of the aims of Vatican II, I do not believe that they intended to give free reign to some of the novelty that ensued. I am certain that the council fathers never meant to abandon us to the whims of so-called experts who invented theories about liturgy and then produced music that lived down to those theories.

How certain are you, and how do you back your claims?
  • kenstb
    I am pretty certain, Francis. Are you asking me to quote the documents in support of my position? If so, then I will have to pull up the documents which lead me to the conclusions I stated above.
  • kenstb
    BTW...are you aware of any authority that opposes my position?
  • kenstb
    In Section II of Sacrosanctum Concilium, the council fathers stated, "That sound tradition may be retained, and yet the way remain open to legitimate progress careful investigation is always to be made into each part of the liturgy which is to be revised. This investigation should be theological, historical, and pastoral. Also the general laws governing the structure and meaning of the liturgy must be studied in conjunction with the experience derived from recent liturgical reforms and from the indults conceded to various places. Finally, there must be no innovations unless the good of the Church genuinely and certainly requires them; and care must be taken that any new forms adopted should in some way grow organically from forms already existing."

I think that the final sentence of that paragraph precludes some of the experimentation that came after the council. I would argue that many of the odd choices that we as musicians and catholics have decried, run contrary to these words. I don't see how things such as liturgical dance grow organically from forms already existing at the time of the council. Thoughts?

• francis
    The document itself, by its ambiguity, allowed for the wide interpretation it received and the implementation it underwent. To which documents are you referring? The key word in your statement is "they". How do you define "they"?

(Ah... you posted your last part at the same time I hit the Post button on mine. You beat me to the punch!)

Good point about liturgical dance. On what grounds was it even considered and by what authority was it ever introduced, allowed at all, or allowed to continue? And since it still exists, why is it allowed to continue to exist in the 'approval of silence'?
    Thanked by 1kenstb
    And the red herring award goes to ...

I certainly don't believe that it was an aim of the council to do the above.

However, I believe that the council DID intend to create new "ministries," yes with the idea that the laity are also called to ministry as much as the ordained, and that there is a place for a professional laity to work within the church who should be viewed and treated as ministers, not merely hired underlings paid to do what Father says when he says it - although yes, in a parish, the pastor is still to be the ultimate authority.

But yeah, clericalism is a thing. And the current Pope thinks so too. Although I know what some think of him, he is the Pope and they are not.
  • kenstb
    I had to review my posts to find the word "they". By they, I meant the Council Fathers. I say that they never intended to open the floodgates to unfettered experimentation because their language omits that possibility. Do you disagree?
  • SalieriSalieri
    What I find supremely Ironic:

Mgr Lefevre (1965): There are deliberate ambiguities in the Council.
    Response: What a crazy, disgruntled, backward looking old so-and-so.

Cardinal Kasper (2013): There are deliberate ambiguities in the Council.
    Response: Why hasn't anyone said this before?
    I had to review my posts to find the word "they". By they, I meant the Council Fathers. I say that they never intended to open the floodgates to unfettered experimentation because their language omits that possibility. Do you disagree?

No. I do not disagree.

But that point is a red herring, because it's not what was originally being spoken of.
  • kenstb
    PGA, if you see my comment as a red herring, you greatly misunderstand my point. I wasn't joking, but if you think that I would waste time by misdirection, please feel free to set me straight. I was speaking to your statement about the empowerment of the laity. I didn't drag my point out of the ether.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • francis
    I guess one example of mass confusion (pun intended) are the many liturgies that are celebrated with a bishop, or even a popes full co-operation. If the innovations were not intended or sanctioned, then why did these prelates allow these to happen in their presence over and over and never reprimand, correct or even mention that they were abberations? What is spoken in SC does not match their actions.

SC also said that Latin should be preserved and vernacular should be introduced carefully. The opposite has been sanctioned by the actions of all.