Lætáre Sunday - what did you see/hear?
  • I wonder if I might challenge you to try another draft that avoids a few of the more cliched expressions, "let us proclaim" and "in one accord."

Jerusalem, rejoice!
    May all her friends be blest.
    The babe who weeps finds consolation
    At her breast.

Lift up your heart, lift up your voice! Rejoice, again, I say, rejoice!

Rejoice to hear the call
    To come before the Lord!
    We come in sorrow, then exult,
    Our joy restored.

All glory be to God:
    The Father and the Son
    And Holy Spirit, Lord of Love,
    The Three-in-One.

Proposed Text: Douglas Spangler, alt., based on that of Charles Wesley, 1707-1788, alt.
    © 2014 Douglas R. Spangler
    Tune: DARWALL'S 148TH 66 66 88; John Darwall, 1731-1789
  • Kathy
    Yes! Excellent.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ronkrisman
    Douglas, I find much to admire about your latest text, particularly that you removed the cliched rhymes which Kathy spotted. And the text reads like it was written today, not in the 1880's.

Your first reworking of the text to fit DARWALL'S 148TH eliminated one problem I had with the original CM text, namely, the rhyme scheme of stanza 3. With CM meter one ordinarily has an ABCB or ABAB rhyme scheme, but not both. You had two stanzas of ABCB, then one with ABAB, the latter containing the one rhyme to be avoided at all cost: love-above or love-Dove.

I'm glad your reworking began with: Jerusalem, rejoice! Many folks might follow the lead of the antiphon text in the 2012 Gregorian Missal and use: Rejoice, Jerusalem! But that would put an unacceptable musical stress on -lem!

What I don't like about your third attempt is that you've now busted out of the metrical restraints of the tune: 6 6 6 6 8 8. If you would check the many texts set to this tune at

I don't think you will find a single one that does this:
    The babe who weeps finds con-
    solation at her breast.

These couplets may be somewhat more acceptable:
    We come in sorrow, then
    exult, our joy restored.

And Holy Spirit, Lord
    of Love, the Three-in-One.

However, I would opt to stay strictly with the meter: 666688 or 66664444.
    Thanked by 1Douglas_Spangler
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the one rhyme to be avoided at all cost: love-above or love-Dove.

How do you expect anyone to write MEANINGFUL AND RELEVANT Contemporary Worship songs with this sort of draconian restriction?
  • Kathy
    I once sent a batch of texts to an excellent hymn writer for comment, and he pointed out I'd used one of the standard cliches (strife/life) three separate times.
  • ronkrisman
    the one rhyme to be avoided at all cost: love-above or love-Dove.

How do you expect anyone to write MEANINGFUL AND RELEVANT Contemporary Worship songs with this sort of draconian restriction?

Perhaps you're correct, Adam. I was too restrictive. New principle:
    Every hymn writer is allowed to use the "love-above" rhyme one time in his or her life's opera.
  • Kathy Pluth was very kind to revise my version of the Laetare Introit paraphrase to DARWALL's 148th. Kathy improved it dramatically (of course). Here it is attached.
    Thanked by 2Heath CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I opened this with fear
    Because I had forgot
    If I had used "in one accord"
    Or if I'd not...
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • ronkrisman
    Some of the same problems with regard to the 666688 meter. Plus two awkward "Jerusalem's."
  • Kathy, Not to worry!
    Also, your disclaimer/plausible deniability is that you were simply improving what I put forth, which placed great limitations on your craft. :)
    Richard
  • Kathy
    Richard,

Good thinking, and good excuse! ;)

Fr. Ron,

I actually wouldn't mind throwing in yet another Jerusalem, which appears in the Psalm, if extended.

Perhaps the "awkward"ness is heard in the weak accent on syllable 4. This is a problem with English words longer than 3 syllables, but not, in my opinion, enough of a reason to use only short words.

I concede the caesura problem, but imho (in my humble opinion) it's not really a problem. We're not English professors, you and I, and these are sung poetry.
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy,

You are absolutely correct about the "awkward"ness of the word "Jerusalem." But, IMO, Douglas handles it better by having "-lem" fall on beat 3 instead of on the downbeat.

And, surely, hymn texts are prayers in poetry. But the metrical strictures contribute to the artistic quality of the text. (They also insure the interchangeability of tunes.) Again, that's my opinion, but an opinion supported by no less an expert than Friend 2 in the Essurance commercial, who said, "That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works."
  • Kathy
    Fr.,

How do metrical structures contribute to the artistic quality of the text? By their sound.

Your reasoning about Jerusalem, for example, is indeed sound.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Friend 2 in the Essurance commercial, who said, "That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works."

OMG I LOVE THAT LINE!!
  • Kathy
    I should watch more TV.
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy, I wrote "strictures" instead of "structures," but I think I should have written, "Adherence to metrical strictures..."

And, yes, the art is in the sound but also, and to a lesser degree, even in the way the text appears on a page, in its very form.
  • Liam
    This, btw, has turned into one of the best CMAA threads ever. This is a lightning-fast example of how hymn texts would classically ripen (and that modern copyright resists by preservation in amber). It's different, btw, from the subtractive process typically (but NOT always) used in inclusive rendering of preexisting texts.
  • Kathy
    the art is in the sound but also, and to a lesser degree, even in the way the text appears on a page, in its very form.

No, Fr. Krisman, it really isn't. That is a silly rule and only detracts from judgments that really matter.
  • Kathy
    Real judgments would prevent tragedies like this.
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy,

In my opinion adherence to the meter is necessary in strophic hymn writing. And I think my opinion is shared by hymnal committees from every Christian denomination: they simply do not choose texts for their hymnals which do not rigidly conform to the meter. Perhaps a less strict adherence gets by in internet publishing, but not in denominational hymnal publishing.
  • Kathy
    Fr.,

I'm not arguing for lower standards, but higher ones.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • Kathy
    To strain the gnat and swallow
    The camel, and to follow
    The editors of others--
    Our separated brothers--
    Without a due attention
    To Catholic intention,
    The artists of the ages,
    Our poets and our sages,
    Makes hymnals far less sweeter
    Than slightly altered meter.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

>>strict adherence
    >>art

Pick one.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Fr K is absolutely correct about metre. John Mason Neale was scrupulous about preserving the metre of his originals of whatever language.

And, tangentially, here is what he said in his prefeace to Joys and Glories of Paradise (1865): '...I feel that a hymn, whether original or translated, ought, the moment it is published, to become the common property of Christendom; the author retaining no private right in it whatever'. I 'throw this in' because of the occasional concerns on this forum about the mendacity of copyright policies on the part of publishers.

Neale also expresses great displeasure at those editors who alter his work, the common substitution of 'crimson' for 'roseate' in his translation of Ad Coenam Agni Providi being one example. He points out that the blood of those near or passed death has become, actually, more a pale rose than crimson - adding that 'rosea' translates more nearly to 'roseate' than to 'crimson'. (In another vein, he also writes of the desirablilty of 'weaning' children from the strains of Isaac Watts.)

As for changing metre or syllabification, one of my pet peeves is the frequently encountered translation (or alternate text) set to Adoro Te which does not match the original in metre or syllabification, putting two syllables where there should only be one under a podatus, for example. Such sloppiness is evident, also, in other hymns (most usually, sad to say, in Catholic hymnals). This is not great talent's poetic license, it is literary and musical incompetence. (This goes, also, for the reckless manner in which words and syllables are strewn in the cadences of psalm tones in a selection of Catholic hymnals I have seen, utterly ignorant or careless about putting the wrong number of syllables to podati, or stretching several puncta over one syllable when there should be a syllable to every punctum. These people have not learned the lessons that Anglicans long ago did about setting English to the Gregorian pslam tones. [This is really not 'off topic' because it is relevant to metre and its relationship to melody].)

(I see that Adam has slipped in a false dichotomy e're I clicked 'send'. There is not, in translating poetry, a necessary choice between 'strict adherence' and 'art'. Au contraire, a part of the translator's art IS in preserving metre and other elements of his original, a matter of which Neale and others have been dutiful masters. A more recent example is the masterful translation of Jesu meine Fruede which our anonymous MHI supplied here last summer, in which he preserved not only the metre but the complicated rhyme scheme of the original German. Perhaps 'faithfulness' would be a kinder signifer than the legalistic-sounding 'strict adherence'. And, faithfulness requires rare literary gifts and linguistic ingenuity. It requires that true art which unfaithfulness lacks.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Some people seem to be running on a "pet peeve" theory of hymn editing. Perhaps I started that, with my scruples about overused expressions. But that at least has the force of meaning behind it. Cliches are usually best avoided, because they are imprecise.

These little bugabears, they are not entirely without merit. But, they don't have very MUCH merit.

The questions you should ask about hymns are: is it true? Does it leap off the page and into the voice? Does it sing? Does it sound like something I wish I'd said in prayer? Is there Bible in it? Is it fun? Is there any vigor to it?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Strict adherence to rules is my issue. (Willful ignorance of rules is also quite bad.)

Rules represent a rational description of perceived commonalities among works of sublime excellence and quality. They are not a sieve.
  • The answers to the questions you have suggested that I should ask is 'no' to the degree to which a translation is not faithful to its original in meaning, mood, rhyme and metre. The task is to translate poetry to poetry, preserving as much as is literarily possible the objective and subjective substance of the original language. I am really addressing translation, not original poetry, in which there are not the constraints and obligations to literary faithfulness.

Adam, we don't ordinarily disagree: perhaps this is a matter of semantics: I would not say, exactly (or inexactly), that what I am calling faithfulnes is a sieve: it is an invitation to a very near approximation in one language of a mind's creation in another language. This applies to both Form and to Substance. A sieve, for that matter, would deny admittance to that which was not faithful art.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, we don't ordinarily disagree

Happily!

perhaps this is a matter of semantics

Most things are.

it is an invitation to a very near approximation in one language of a mind's creation in another language.

Yes, but the text at issue here is not a metrical translation of a metrical text. It is a metrical paraphrase of a Psalm, set to an existing tune. I think the "rules" are different.

As for the semantics of "rules" and "opinions" -

I think it is fine to not like something, and then use a "rule" or common practice to point out what might be causing the problem.

"This seems weird. Perhaps my issue is your use of parallel 5ths in measure 7."

But I think that using a set of deterministic rules to mechanically separate good from bad is problematic. I don't know if that is what is happening here - it seems like Fr RK's opinions lean in that direction.
  • Kathy
    Jackson,

Have you looked carefully at all of these factors? Could it be that both meaning and mood--very hard to capture, by the way--may be very well rendered in a translation that you might have rejected carte blanche for metrical reasons?
  • Dear Kathy -

I will grant that there is often merit in that which doesn't adhere as closely as I would wish to both the form and substance of an original; although a translation which does not sing to the original's music very well is not meritorius. I will, though, reserve the epithet 'meisterstucke' for those who, like Neale and our friend MHI, actually pulled off the translation of all the factors of the original poems. (By the way: I am an admirer of your original hymns and the greater part of your translations. I have the greatest respect for your literary gifts.)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    This thread reminded me of a piece I wrote, one of the last before learning that my wife had cancer --- ten, or almost eleven, years ago. Predates the 'intonalism' science, but I still like parts of it. I don't believe it has been used by anyone. "Laetatus sum", I was glad.

Shortly after finishing it I was not glad again for a long long time.

William
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • ronkrisman
    I have found from experience, Adam, that the ability to adhere to the chosen meter, or the demonstrative lack of such ability, usually does separate the good from the bad in hymn writing. To put it another way, a hymn writer or translator who cannot stick to the form will usually fall short in another area (or areas).

Douglas seems to know what he is doing. If he accepts what I've written about metrical adherence, he may well have already completed his fourth draft!
  • Here is a proposed hymn text, revised according to Fr. Krisman's insightful recommendations. Any thoughts?

Jerusalem, rejoice!
    The hungry and oppressed,
    Like babes, are satisfied
    At her consoling breast.

Rejoice to hear the call
    To go before the Lord!
    We come in all our need,
    And find our joy restored.

All glory be to God,
    The Father and the Son
    Who with the Spirit reign
    For ever, Three-in-One.

Proposed Text: Douglas Spangler, alt.,
    based in part on the text of Charles Wesley, 1707-1788, alt.
    © 2014 Douglas R. Spangler
    Tune: DARWALL'S 148TH 66 66 88; John Darwall, 1731-1789
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Claire H
  • Wow, love that text, it's beautiful.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Krisman,

Perhaps what is interesting is how thoroughly you've failed to notice the falling-short of hymn texts that have actually passed through your measures. The problem is not that your standards are too finely gauged, but too coarsely.

I could resurrect many other threads that show really awful hymn texts, some of which you brought forward as good examples, and which may conform to the rules of verse, but are prosaic at best.

Douglas,

You've done the near-impossible: rendering the "consoling breasts" language in a way that can easily be sung by congregations, without being embarrassing.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    As to Douglas' first verse, why not drop two commas:

..................oppressed
    Are satisfied like babes
    At her ...
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Perhaps, second verse, if we deserve it:

we come in meed and need

Being critical, don't like the rhyme Lord and restored: why is joy 'restored' anyway?
  • Kathy
    Jackson,

I'd wager you know enough Latin to read the original of Adoro Te. If you have time, and are willing to overlook for the sake of argument the metrical issue that you've raised quite a few times, I wonder if you might read my translation again side-by-side with the Latin, looking in particular for the mood of quiet contemplation that is in the original.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Aside from questions of theology, what is a "good hymn" often comes down to matters of taste.
  • Kathy
    Btw, in this article I explain my thoughts on hymn translation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    why is joy 'restored' anyway?

gaudete cum laetitia, qui in tristitia fuistis

rejoice with joy, you that have been in sorrow

I read "have been" as a temporary state of sorrow, joy being the natural way of things. (I think this is supported based on the scriptural context.)
  • Kathy
    Aside from questions of theology, what is a "good hymn" often comes down to matters of taste.

Paix, somehow I'm guessing that you are talking about texts rather than about music. About music, I would guess that you have definite ideas about better and worse that you would say appeal to standards beyond taste.

Could be wrong.

I would say that the same trans-taste standards exist among hymn texts, but that it is a different field and not one that is usually considered as carefully by musicians as music is.
  • ronkrisman
    Douglas, great job.

To use Liam's image, made ripe in but a single day.
  • Kathy
    I'm honestly not picking on you, Douglas, but I would agree with others that verse 2 is not as compellingly excellent as verse 1. The last two lines sort of seem to be just placeholders, not having much to do with either the antiphon nor with Psalm 121.
  • Kathy -
    You have a beautiful and rare gift of word-craft. This is beyond dispute. That your version of Adoro Te is moving, deeply spiritual, even attaining the quality of a verbal icon, is also unquestioned. Still, though, it doesn't do what it is supposed to do in relation to the original metre and its customary tune. I greatly appreciate the parallelism of thought and reverence you have achieved, and find it fruitful for personal meditation; but I would never sing it at liturgy to Adoro Te because it doesn't fit. Perhaps it needs it's own tune. There are other translations of other hymns in Catholic hymnals that, likewise, I would never sing because they require oversight of, among other things, that metre which is A defining quality of hymnody, Gregorian or otherwise. Back to Adoro Te, I like studying your version. I also like GM Hopkins'. But, I shall ever think that there is none like unto the one in the 1940 taken from Canon Winfred Douglas' Monastic Diurnal of 1930 (which features, if I remember correctly, the entire text).
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Liam
    As another aside, I see too many contemporary hymn texts today that are unripe. The exigencies of the industrial production model inherent in modern publishing vitiate proper ripening.
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But, I shall ever think that there is none like unto the one in the 1940 taken from Canon Winfred Douglas' Monastic Diurnal of 1930 (which features, if I remember correctly, the entire text).

Indeed.
  • BruceL
    We use GM Hopkins' ADORO TE here, but I'm beginning to find it very grating. No offense to the great poet.
  • Bruce -
    Grating?
    Perhaps.
    Hopkins can be rather emotionally arid and intellectually acute in the same breath.

Liam -
    That which is rotten
    can never ripen,
    e'en though from a publisher
    it may get a stipend!
  • Thank you to all of you who have offered critical feedback! It has been very helpful to have your opinions and suggestions. They have served as useful parameters in my attempt to make a hymn paraphrase of a proper antiphon that might potentially be worthy of the liturgy.

In response to William's post:
    As to Douglas' first verse, why not drop two commas:

..................oppressed
    Are satisfied like babes
    At her ...

William, thank you for your suggestion. It has merit from the point of view of simplicity and readability. However, I think that if we sing "Are satisfied like babes" to the melody of DARWALL'S 148TH, then the third syllable of "satisfied" tends to sound unnaturally "punched." Avoiding this "punched sound" would be my main reason for keeping the commas and the current word order.

In response to Kathy's post:
    I'm honestly not picking on you, Douglas, but I would agree with others that verse 2 is not as compellingly excellent as verse 1. The last two lines sort of seem to be just placeholders, not having much to do with either the antiphon nor with Psalm 121.

Kathy, you are correct in observing that verse 2 wanders from the text of the antiphon verse. This gets to the very heart of the question I asked in my first post:
    I am curious to know whether you think the lyrics should include more exact phrases/words from the antiphon or if you think it is okay to convey the general concepts of the antiphon.

For what it is worth, I was attempting to show, in the current iteration of verse 2, that there is a relationship between the infant being fed/consoled by its mother in verse 1 and those who are singing the opening hymn at Mass. (We, in a sense, come to Holy Mother Church to be consoled and nourished by the Word and the Eucharist.)

Please know that I will be rethinking verse 2 based on the wonderful feedback I have received from the members of this forum!

I welcome any further suggestions or thoughts that anyone may have.