Parish hires non-musician to run music
  • G
    Arlene can organize and accomplish ANYTHING.
    And she's a terrific chant master.
    As can a good many people who are part of the CMAA.
    If I had any money and any pull with my parish or diocese, I would try to engage Fr Samuel Weber to give a musicians' retreat.
    Or a Precious Blood mission, (but only if Fr Keyes were handling it, because some of the CPPS theology and liturgical sensibility can be a bit squirrelly (sp?))

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    To find out about the summer colloquium, start by looking over the description at http://musicasacra.com/colloquium

And to see scenes from the event a few years back when it was held in Chicago, watch the very nice TV documentary Sacred, Beautiful, and Universal.

• Steve, I'm in San Diego and I'd be open to coming to give a workshop.

You might want to talk also with Prof. Mahrt, and get his ideas about people to ask. He comments here under "mahrt". Might be worth a private message to him.
  • Steve,

Her thinking is that we need to provide a little something for everyone. It reminds me of the Protestants "blended" that has gone out of style a while ago. It's neither fish nor foul.

The problem with soy-based turducken is that it is in your expression "a little something for everyone". What is needed is the solid teaching of the Church on the subject of sacred music.

Every time I read about how the older form of the Mass is only for old people, I think of the college students who drive 30 minutes to come to Mass, and the young families, and others with teens who drive, sometimes, as long as 40 minutes to attend Mass. Some of them, perhaps, are fleeing the "little something for everyone" attitudes in their local parishes, but some - even most - of them have a genuine love for praying the way the Church has always prayed.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Every time I read about how the older form of the Mass is only for old people

I've never heard this expressed by anybody younger than 50.

(Just sayin')

a little something for everyone.

Personally, I think there is a version of this that can work.

But I find that the skill set and liturgical understanding needed to pull it off is exceptionally rare. I've more or less stopped advocating it and talking about it publicly because I don't want to encourage people to justify their bad taste with "it's just like that article in Chant Cafe said."

• Thanks for the referrals. I'll contact them.

I would love to do a musicians retreat and have one of those referrals as the keynote speaker. I'm walking a fine line here, in that while I know what the Church documents say about sacred music and liturgy etc...I would be labeled as one of those E.Fer's or whatever a sensible Catholic musician is called. Then my credibility goes out the window.

IF there is someone that can speak to Church teachings without getting too far off center, that would be best. Example: When the docs say that Latin and Gregorian chant are preferred in the Roman Rite...then says "all things being equal"...what the heck does that really mean? (My explanation has been that music that organically comes out of Gregorian chant would be equal. i.e Plainsong, Anglican chant, contemporary (NOT 70's, 80's 90's junk) chant, from good modern composers...like what we find on ccwatershed, Illuminaire, etc...). What about explaining the loopholes and what we should be doing to fill those loopholes?

I think it would be helpful if some facts and figures were presented that demonstrate that young people (Millenials?) are flocking to the EF and for what reasons.

Another issue that should be addressed is the sing-ability of congregational music. Some of the nonsense that have eighth rests, 2 - 4 measures of silence before the next verse, lots of syncopation etc...is not singable by 500-1000 amateur's.

So....is there anyone out there who is middle of the road enough? And now, for the $64,000. Question....What should we expect to pay for such expertise?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What exactly is "middle of the road?"
  • Road kill
  • ha ha ha...cgz! Ironically I just saw a flattened coyote on the road....exactly in the middle!
  • Steve,

As it happens, I can't claim any originality here. I credit as my source (but there may be others) as the late Senator Jesse Helms. Like or dislike the man, he made you laugh.
  • The best experiences I've had in teaching classes and offering day workshops is when the focus is all together on learning how to sing Gregorian chants as a group that is praying together.

I personally steer clear of much if any discussion on which type of music is best/ most sacred in these settings. When discussing why we chant, one can verbally offer attendees a brief mention of the unique attributes of Gregorian chant and the overarching reasons sung liturgy has been used by Christians through the ages. Get people excited about by enabling them to actually do it. Negativity is to be avoided at all times and as much as possible. One needs to be evangelical about the cause of sacred music, and beautiful liturgy in general.

Typically a workshop is just that- and people are there to work toward a goal. A conference, on the other hand, often incorporates more talks and Q & A sessions.

Thanked by 1kenstb
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I've never heard this expressed by anybody younger than 50.

^^This, and I think overall in the Church, situations like Padster's are going to get worse before they get better. The older generation is still in charge and opting for a kind of scorched-earth policy toward liturgy as they shuffle off the stage. Keep sowing good seed and know it will produce even if it is unlikely you will see the harvest anytime soon if ever.
  • Padster
    I wasn't aware I had a situation....

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Everybody has a situation.
  • Padster
    I don't.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • Carl DCarl D
    It's greatly freeing to not worry about whether there will be a bountiful harvest while you're there. Or even during your lifetime.

God has a longer view.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't think this comes as news, but I've lost control of my situation.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Adam is right: we all have a situation.
  • G
    Some of us are looking for a situation...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • I'm included. I had a SITUATION GRANDE yesterday, when I bought a new car and somehow forgot to tell my wife! Now that's situation!!

Thank You Mary Ann. Very good information.

I read a book a few years ago, written by a reporter from St. Louis. It was about 3 different generations (Gen Xr's, Baby Boomers, and Millenials) and what type of liturgical music they preferred. As it turned out, the GenXr's and the Millenials preferred traditional liturgical music while the Boomers preferred "contemporary". I wish I could remember the book's name. Sorry.

I heard from a friend that the 2nd edition of "Why Catholics Can't Sing" is really very good and has some new insights. Has anyone read it? If so, what do you think?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Did someone say...SITUATION?! I really had no choice :)

• chonakchonak
    I have more of a Sitz im Leben.
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • IrishTenor....Where did you get my photo?
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    Thanked by 4G CharlesW melofluent Ben
  • Not surprisingly..."IT" just happened. We got a new pastor in July who, in a meeting with parish musicians, told us that he was going to bring in other musicians. In addition, he was going to reduce our pay. Because I was the only "classical" musician I was overridden on virtually all of my musical suggestions.

This past Friday, I received a certified letter from the new pastor thanking me for my years of service to the parish, however my services are no longer necessary and I am terminated immediately. With the "left foot of fellowship" was a check for the amount due for this month.

While I'm P.O.'d about this and the method in which it was accomplished, I am happy to be out from under this crap of a music program at this parish.

If any of you know of a parish northwest of L.A. that needs a decent organist and/or choir director, please let me know. Thanks for listening to my rants!
  • CharlesW
    The music and liturgy director at our cathedral retired very recently. Several musicians have told me she couldn't read music. Kind of like teaching English without being able to read, isn't it? Someone, somewhere probably understands this, but it isn't me. It's bad out there in far too many places.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Move to Phoenix.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Ben
  • Musicteacher 56 writes:

"I'm not sure if a pastor who is too hands off is worse than one who is too hands on. I would venture to say the former ..."

Well, leaving aside actual examples of priestly criminality (which I have mercifully been spared), I would much rather work for a sacerdotal tyrant than for a sacerdotal wimp. Give me five Captain Queegs any day of the week, in preference to one Milquetoast.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Matthew: Phoenix? Although I've heard about many good things over there, I think my wife would murder me if I even mentioned "moving" to her! :( However, if you could provide me with information on openings, I could try!

R.J.: The former pastor was totally hands off. He wouldn't make any decisions on anything. The new guy is a total dictator/micro-manager and meddles into everything.

The music lady told me that I play too slow, too loud and that my music choices are "bland". Her idea of good liturgical music is "peppy" and "upbeat" hence the crappy mass settings she likes, Mass of Glory and Mass of Christ the Savior (a.k.a. The My Little Pony Mass). I loathed the Mass of Glory so much that I played the Sanctus on a keyboard using the best B-3/Leslie I could find and pepped it up...just for her. One of our priests who is musical ordered me to never play that mass setting again.
  • I too loathe the Mass of Glory. It was our Parrish's default setting for years before I arrived.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Steve, I'd think twice, measure twice and cut once and surely when if you're thinking of gigs in the Monterrey Diocese. I like Bp. Garcia, but after decades of visiting Masses along the Cambria to Pismo stretch, there are some really funky pastors there.
    If you're interested in CenCA, Fresno Diocese, I'll make some calls.
    Charles
  • chonakchonak
    I loathed the Mass of Glory so much that I played the Sanctus on a keyboard using the best B-3/Leslie I could find and pepped it up...just for her. One of our priests who is musical ordered me to never play that mass setting again.

+1 :-)
  • CharlesW
    I have been ordered to never do the Misa Luna again. I hated it, so using it was never my decision in the first place. The bishop mandated it for a period of time after the new missal took effect. Given that hacked up Gloria, I don't see how it could ever be effective in teaching people the new translations - supposedly the point in using it. I have never heard the other two settings mentioned above, but when I saw who wrote them, they can't possibly be any good.

irishtenor, I wish I could airbrush my abs and look like that guy in the picture. Now that would be a miracle in our age!
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Misa Luna?

Moon Mass?

Yipes, on the name alone.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • TCJ
    Misa Luna

Monday Mass
  • Moon day mass
  • canadashcanadash
    "Luney" Mass.
  • Lol! The true meaning surfaces.
  • CharlesW
    Our associate pastor calls it the Misa Lunatic.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Can I be enlightened? I've never heard of this piece. Does someone have a copy?

• Curious about the Mass of Christ the Savior, or, as Steve called it, the "My Little Pony Mass" only because my six year old daughter loves My Little Pony LOL!

Sorry to hear about all of this. The DoM I work with is not formally trained, and might fall into many of the complaints aired here about "non-musician" music directors. But she has spent enough years learning, practicing, participating as a choir member before accepting the position of director, and never tries to be something she is not. As far as untrained musicians go, she's one of the best I've ever worked with and has a great program going. She also doesn't have hangups about not having a piece of paper on the wall and is open to my suggestions and anyone else's. Attitude and intentions go a long way. Best wishes to you in your new musical adventure.
  • chonakchonak
    The link between Schutte's Mass and the pony cartoon is explained here:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/feb/13/Dan-Schutte-Mass-of-Christ-The-Savior/
  • The other day, driving to work, I found myself fitting Latin text to the Gloria of the Schutte. I must be sick...
  • I'd love to move for a more centrist position, however...my dear wife just won't hear of it. As an R.N. she does very well and other areas just can't match her salary. I hope and pray that one day soon there will be an Anglican Use parish nearby. The liturgy and music are my cup of tea!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago