Parish hires non-musician to run music
  • Padster
    A learned musician should not be taking orders (musically speaking) from someone who has no training in the field of music. It is as simple as that. Would we let someone with no Air Traffic Control experience direct an Airbus A380 and its passengers to the ground safely? Of course not, it is ridiculous. We should not have tolerate such shoddy standards because we are Christians. The lady must get her backside down the road apiece.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Well, of course that analogy is ridiculous because we would NEVER allow certain people to fill certain positions. In the case of music ministry, however, I stand firm that we are called to be servant leaders. Case closed. The lady in question definitely needs to be put down a peg, but by somebody who will be diplomatic enough to get their point across without causing problems. No, we should NOT have to tolerate "shoddy standards", BUT, we do have to be careful in how we approach things. My predecessor was hired because the former pastor heard her sing at a secular event and hired her on the spot. She had absolutely NO formal musical training, let alone a music degree (and, actually, she didn't hold ANY degree). No, I didn't like her P&W style, but the people did. I was the one with the MM and should have been able to tell her exactly what was wrong on many occasions, but I held back when I tried that several times and was told, in no uncertain terms, that SHE was the director. Eating that dreaded piece of pie, however, got me the job when she left (and, btw, I did not apply for it, it was given to me).

Sometimes it DOES take a piece of humble pie to do our jobs. Being humble does not mean succumbing to "shoddy standards". It means knowing the people and using our God-given talent to educate. I say this through experience. I tried taking the "I'm the educated musician so listen to me" approach and was knocked off my self-made pedestal. But, through love and SERVICE to the people and to the music, I now have PIP's singing hymnody and beginning chants.

We are in service to the people. If we truly felt called to this ministry, we would accept it with open hearts and minds and with a prayerful attitude that, with patience and love, we can bring sacred music into our parishes (even if that means standing aside while somebody else is given control because by the power of the Holy Spirit, things will eventually turn around). Too many church musicians are there because the secular world has rejected them. If we are in the churches for a means to a performing end, then we should re-evaluate why we are there. And if this lady is using her "power" in the parish to do what she thinks is right without humbling herself to those more educated, then shame on her.
  • CharlesW
    Dear Musicteacher56, you are a dear, sweet, forgiving and saintly person. Unfortunately, I am not. Wish I were, but can't pull it off. I can put up with so much, then the explosion occurs and that's the end.
  • How humble is it to betray our talent and the church's law for the sake of peace?
  • chonakchonak
    Not every disagreement is a matter of obligation in conscience -- at least if one's conscience is formed correctly.
    Thanked by 1G
  • Padster
    Well said, cgz. I thoroughly detest this 'I am a church musician, so feel free to treat me like a doormat' attitude.
    And, dear musicteacher, you deserve everything you get if you stood by and allowed someone with absolutely NO FORMAL MUSIC TRAINING to direct you. After 27 years hard slog studying music, I simply could not allow that to happen to myself.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Our talent came from God and the ability and resources to nurture that talent through our music education also comes from Him. And, yes, it is through disagreement and discussion that we learn from each other. If the bottom line is to produce the best we can and do it with proper conscience, then we will succeed on our mission. But proper conscience also assumes patience and tolerance
  • Padster, I think we all share your opinion that we should not be treated as a doormat;however, working for the church does bring with it a certain element of service that is not found outside the church. We all know what we face when we sign up for this gig.
  • Everyone! STOP refering to our sacred music making as a 'gig', whatever that is! Playing at a night club, a pub, a public gathering, etc., may be one of these things, but providing music for holy mass is fulfilling a sacred vocation with God-given talent... it is NOT a 'gig'. The very word sounds crass, cheap, thoughtless, careless, and degenerate... and irreverent and disrespectful...
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • Padster
    What do we sign up for? To have our hard-earned ability usurped by some rank beginner who might be 'good with people' but is totally clueless about music? It wouldn't happen with a symphony orchestra, but it seems 'anything will do' for church to avoid conflict. It is the same liberal attitude which has done so much damage in our society.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, a "gig" usually pays well. Sacred music making doesn't always.
  • Well then, Charles, based on your observation, playing for mass Couldn't be one of those 'G' word things, could it!
  • Padster,

I couldn't agree with you more. No symphony board would hire a non or exceptionally poor conductor for their orchestra....especially if the former conductor had already raised the orchestra's level of performance and repertorie. Why would they want to reverse direction? The same applies to ballet companies, hiring music faculty at a univ. or conservatory of music. The attitude is to continue to raise standards to attract new talented musicians of a symphony, dancers for a ballet co., and voice/piano/organ/brass/string faculty in an academic setting.

Regrettably, the Catholic church in many respects, (there are exceptions) are content with feel-good music, and dumbing liturgical music down to the lowest common denominator. I spent over 14 yrs. as organist/music dir. in the Catholic church fighting the "lowest common denomiator" issue. I'm happy to be away from it now. I'm content singing in an Episcopal church choir who's repertorie covers Gregorian Chant - 20th C. music of first rate composers.
  • CharlesW
    No, it isn't. I have usually heard the word, "Gig" used, for example, with symphony musicians hired to work for a specific musical event. It is not a full-time or ongoing job.

BTW, in this area those gigs pay union scale - generally more than the average church musicians get.
  • I certainly didn't mean any disrespect in using the "g" word. Sorry if it offended any one. I think my comments certainly show my true feelings.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The nomenclature of what "we do" is irrelevant, as is conflating that with airs of nobility and self-righteousness.
    If we "get" and accept the call to be fellow servants of the servants, then it is "honor" enough to be "the help," no matter what connotation of that ensues.
    None of us are granted the authority to issue imperatives to anyone else about anything. The only imperatives we are obliged to first follow are to be found in Christ's response to the clerical foes' disingenuous questions about the law, and both of His answers are founded upon love in action as well as word.
    In that light, it could also be quite "noble" to, as the Jules Styne song says, "Make someone happy. Make just one someone happy."
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • Padster
    See, this is why we can never have a decent discussion about these matters because someone always brings Christ into it to bolster their position. A bit like the proverbial political football.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • Thank you, Melo, for your usual eloquent post. God bless you. Love in action and words. Yes, isn't that what it's all about? If I can touch one life in my life, then I feel I will have fulfilled my purpose in God giving me this talent, even if that means letting go of pride and always remembering that it IS an honor to be "the help". Jules Styne had it right.
  • CharlesW
    Next he's going to start singing that song about lighting one little candle...LOL
  • Well as long as it is not kumbaya
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Padster, taking you at your word as your statement wasn't in purple prose, may I remind you I don't nor have I had a position to bolster in this arena. You can further a "decent" conversation as much as you'd like. I just don't agee with pomposity well. My bad I suppose.
  • What does all the purple mean? I must be missing something unless it is meant to be the language color of a secret society.
  • BenBen
    it's a joke color or sarcasm font.
  • Thanks...next question...how do you find purple?
  • I couldn't agree with you more. No symphony board would hire a non or exceptionally poor conductor for their orchestra....especially if the former conductor had already raised the orchestra's level of performance and repertorie.

Happens all the time. Symphony boards are the lay people in your church on the parish council - I've worked in that realm and it ain't pretty. Money, and only money, not musicianship, talks.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Type:
    <font color=purple>This text is purple.</font>
    to get:
    This text is purple.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The font color=purple code isn't found in the perhaps the most logical place to look first, but once you notice a box at the upper right that is labeled "search" the rest is really not that hard.
  • Padster
    Love also means doing something to the best of your ability, spending years studying it and spending money funding it. It is putting in hours of practice perfecting your art. It is realising, as one elderly Holocaust survivor said recently, that Music is God (note the absence of the word 'our', lest anyone get the wrong end of the stick and assume us musicians have our priorities wrong.) Love is NOT fetching up at a church with no musical training whatsoever, and proceeding to direct trained musicians.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • this is a test.
  • chonakchonak
    The font color=purple code isn't found in the perhaps the most logical place to look first,
    Because I don't want to encourage the practice. I think it is unclear to new readers. There are more straightforward and commonly recognized ways to indicate that one is writing with humorous or ironic intent, such as these:

:-)

[/sarcasm]

• canadashcanadash
    On another thread there is a discussion as to the omission of the Kyrie on Ash Wednesday. In my opinion, this is the time to graciously consult the new music director and ask her what to do. A "go to" person can sometimes be a good thing... ;)
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, we don't have any bone to bark over, Padster, as I concur with your thoughtful reflections upon the implications of love's meaning. But, I am still surprised at what is perceived as my intent to derail discussion or mitigate it by bringing Christ into the equation. Perhaps if you could consider such reflections as integral (as your response illumines the meaning of love further) rather than disruptive to discussion, we could dispense with defensiveness. Just asking.
  • Chonak,

I didn't mean to suggest that every disagreement was a matter of conscience. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Rather, peace at the expense of what the Church tells us we should do is rarely a real peace, and can not be chosen as a regular course of action: disobedience to the directives of the Church can not be virtuous.

Cheers,

Chris
  • ronkrisman
    disobedience to the directives of the Church can not be virtuous.

Actually, it could be, if it is a legitimate consuetudo contra ius.

In the Church it is best never to say never.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Sometimes one must just let God work his will, and trust that it will all work out. To put it into some perspective: A “parish hiring a non-musician to run music” can be very distressing, but spending a week in the hospital with a loved one makes it less important ..if it happens to be you. I have lately come to a new appreciation for volunteer Eucharistic ministers who visit the sick. They may not be musically inclined, but their work can bring peace to the soul.
  • Padster
    Eucharistic ministers do great work in hospitals, there is no argument against that. I have been visited by them myself following a kidney transplant and they are kind and good people. Sadly, many so-called Christians turn them away whilst in hospital, so they have a lot of rejection to deal with. But comparing their work with that of a musician is like comparing chalk with cheese, and bringing emotive subjects into the discussion is unhelpful. If we are going to use music in church then lets do it properly. A non-musician should not be directing other musicians, whether they be a choir and organist or a music group. It can only lead to poor standards.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1eileenhaas
  • CharlesW
    There's a huge difference in skill sets, training, and talent between trained musicians and EMs. That is not to take anything away from EMs, but there is no comparison between those jobs.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Just out of curiosity, how old is this non-musician director?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm also curious on whether the Pastor knew HOW the message would be delivered.

It's not hard to imagine a Pastor saying "OK, so you go to this meeting and just make it clear that your in charge, don't let them walk over you. Tell them that we're going to go in this direction. I'll send the deacon to be there for support."

And maybe the Pastor thought that the new musician would assert herself and say "Well, the Pastor has chosen me to lead this in a new direction."

He might have never dreamed that what would come out of the new musician's mouth would be "I'm in charge now. If you don't like the way I do things, quit."
  • It seems the question is not whether my skills and training are being employed and appreciated at the level they deserve, but can I still serve and do good in this situation. The OP indicated he sees an opportunity to serve and accomplish good even under an untrained director. Bravo!
  • G
    A Dilbert cartoon this weekend caught my eye.
    Supervisor: Do you have any great ideas?
    Worker: How would I know?
    Supervisor: You could tell me your ideas and I'll judge them.
    Worker: That would be like asking a chipmunk to judge algebra.
    Supervisor: Are you comparing me to algebra?
    Worker: Sure, let's go with that.

But since the different skill set require by different ministers was brought into the conversation, may I also say that a greater insistence on training and expertise for Extraodinary ministers would not go amiss in many places.
    I was shocked and saddened last week to see an EMHC wipe out a ciborium with a paper-towel over the waste basket, because she had been told, "Make sure there are no crumbs left in there."
    (I should note, so as not to add to my reputation as a... well, as a whatever, that I must have delivered what I had to say charitably, as she was pleased and happy to be admonished.)
    Her job is inarguably more important, and a misstep is inarguably more an affront to the Lord than one of us programming "Here I Am, Lord," or singing an "Alleluia" in Lent.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    How about both doing their jobs well? Is this an either/or between EMHCs and musicians?
  • Holy Moly! This turned into a very good discussion. Here are some answers and more insight to what's going on.

New DoM is 76 years old. Pastor hired her for a 1 year term to start. She has been DoM in several area parishes and has already shaped up the choir (according to my sources), and has recruited 5 more choir members. It is greatly needed since many of them have been in the choir for more than 30 years. You can imagine what age has done to some of their voices....think "vibrato in search of a pitch" and "vibratos that you could drive a truck through". So far so good.

I've known this lady for close to 15 years when she was DoM at another parish that purchased a new organ from me in 2006. (I'm no longer in the "business"). She has always been and is, very honest and fair in her dealings. She also has a knack for dealing with the clergy by getting them to cough up much needed funds for a music program and new instruments. Another good thing with possibilities. (While we have a unit pipe organ, it's small and not versatile at all. The builders' specialty is building symphonic organs. While large ones, with their myriad of color stops are vey useful in RC liturgies, this one is only 19 ranks, scaled and voiced very big. It was never completed as originally spec'd out). Oh....and the parish paid $200,000 for this in 1985!!

Current Pastor has been here for 13 years, one year longer than allowed. I believe that he just doesn't want to deal with anything at this point since he'll be leaving in June. Once we get a new administrator things may change for the better. Please, Lord let this be the case!

So, while I absolutely loathe some of the music she has selected, I have to remember that I'm just hired help. Her selections include everything from the "gospel-swing" mass setting to traditional metrical hymns. Her thinking is that we need to provide a little something for everyone. It reminds me of the Protestants "blended" worship that has gone out of style a while ago. It's neither fish nor foul.

The irritating thing is that I have put my heart and soul into improving the music for the mass I play for and the people like it very much. I also hired a tenor as my cantor, who has a M.M. and is on the same page as I am regarding the music and direction that I was taking.

Bottom line is that I'll simply do as I'm told to the best of my abilities. Frankly, I'm just no good at the Country, Pop, Swing, Reggae, or other styles along this line. My training, from age 5, through a major conservatory has always been classical. Maybe it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks! In any event, I'll just grit my teeth and bear it. (for now)!

• Padster
    I don't get it. So this DoM non-musician has been DoM elsewhere? How is this possible? Are you absolutely sure she is a non-musician because she seems to have achieved the impossible.

I wonder.....I quite like France as a country. I think I'll get a job over there teaching French schoolkids how to speak French. I can't understand the lingo myself, but if our DoM can pull it off there's no reason I can't.

This tells you all you need to know about the current state of music in Catholic churches.

Steve, you have my utmost sympathies.
    Best wishes,
    Padster

• Thanks, Padster. I've seen and heard about many other parishes with a DoM or coordinator with no musical training. Maybe it's normal for our Archdiocese. Perhaps, she's sung with a decent director and pulled a few pointers from that. She does have a piano in her living room, suggesting that she plays. I dunno.

I've already talked about the Propers and what's going on in some RC parishes i.e. improving liturgy and music and the success it's having. I don't believe that she or the deacon supervisor/liturgy director or our pastor have a clue. I hope that I can at least educate them. Whether it does any good is anyone's guess.

On a purely selfish note, I can really use her to push for updating the organ!

I hope I can last until next year.

Taking a very deep breath and perhaps imbibing in some liquid refreshment,

Steve

• PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    This keeps getting more confusing.

So, how do you KNOW she has no musical training? She's told you that?

The non-musician types don't usually push for new organs or get choirs singing better.

You also left out some details when this all started - like the fact that you had a prior knowledge and relationship with her - which would have changed at least MY advice to you, and probably that of others as well.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Perhaps give her some video examples of the propers being sung within the context of the Mass so she can see what you're talking about.
  • G
    Well, I for one can see an advantage to having a 76 year old to play bad cop if it is necessary to ease some long time choristers out of too audible a role in music ministry, (likely a quondam soloist would take it better from her than from some young whipper-snappe in his 40s or 50s ;oP)
    I think you need to persuade her to go to the Colloquium, or help organize a parish workshop with someone from CMAA.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • OK, Paix...here's the deal. She told all of us at last weeks meeting about the lack of training. Although I've known her for some time, it hasn't colored my thinking or position. After re-reading the previous posts, I really don't believe that anything said would have been different. I heartily agree with the majority. Some of them are already in my ammunition locker, just in case they're needed in the future.

Now that I don't have to select the music and arrange for cantors, this gives me more free time and a monetary increase. (Less time spent, + same pay rate = increase).

Hope this clears things up.
  • A CMAA workshop may be just the ticket. Who should I be talking with?