1974 Graduale now online for free as PDF
  • jczarn
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/feb/17/1974-graduale-romanum-now-online/

Wow, can't believe this finally happened. I was under the impression that it probably wouldn't ever be available online per this discussion: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6083/graduale-online/p1

I didn't realize that the 1974 Graduale was literally a (rearranged) photocopy of the 1908 edition. Some interesting legal/copyright justifications on page 2 of the PDF download.

• Forgive the question, but I'm a newbie to EF: what is the difference between the GR and Liber Usualis? Every time I hear someone mention using the GR for something. I realize the exact same can be found in the Liber Usualis.
  • The GR only has mass propers.
  • BenBen
    The GR is great if you just want the Mass. It's much smaller than the liber.
  • Thank you, guys! So, I'm ok with my Liber and I don't need another book, yes?
  • Also, the 1974, posted above, is the postconciliar calendar and propers. The Liber isn't.
  • BenBen
    If you are doing the EF, this book won't do you much good anyways. This is the OF's gradual. Used like the liber, but at the OF.

If you had a 1962 graduale romanum, that would be everything you needed for Mass. Or you can just use the liber you have, it also has everything you need for Mass, and some things you don't. :)
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • The GR (for the EF) has larger print than the Liber, and it stays open better, which is why I prefer it. I think they weigh about the same.
  • chonakchonak
    There's also the Liber Brevior, which is in the style of the Liber Usualis (i.e., smallish scores), but omits the readings and most of the Office material, so it's more compact than the Graduale.
  • BenBen
    The brevior also only contains sunday materials, if I recall. This suits most situations. My schola uses the brevior and I'd recommend it for beginning EF scholae, assuming you normally sing in Sundays.
  • Thanks to J. Ostrowski for making this available. Although he has prefaced the pdf file with an explanation of its copyright status there remains much unclear. Understandably, the explanation concerns the US copyright only. What is the legal situation with using this pdf in EU remains a mystery. Leaving aside the question of typographical signs as such, we know that Solesmes (or Desclee) claims copyright of the rhythmic interpretation (placement of episemes and dots) and on 'their' melodies.

This new pdf has the original copyright notice deleted, but the in the GR of 1961 we read: "Omnia jura vindicabimus, tam in universam nostram excogitandi scribendique rhythmi rationem quam in carmina quae non inveniuntur in vaticana editione sed ex
    Solesmensibus libris excerpta sunt. DESCLEE & Socii." It would mean that the melodies and placement of rhythmic signs of the neo-gregorian pieces which have not been printed any Vatican edition could be still under copyright.

In EU, the copyright expires after 70 years. It would mean that all the new pieces composed after 1944, e.g., introit Signum magnum (Assumption), are still copyrighted.

It is even a bigger problem for the traditional Mass than for the Novus ordo, since it contains more texts for which neo-gregorian chants were composed in the 40s and 50s. Any thoughts?
  • BenBen
    Any thoughts?

Download it quickly. :D
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Graduale Simplex, Gregorian Missal, and Graduale Romanum are now online....

When will the Triplex join the party?
    Thanked by 2Ben jczarn
  • BenBen
    Don't forget about the offertroriale. That's also online.