Nunc dimittis (Charles H. Giffen), editions in Latin and in English
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Responding to a request for a Nunc dimittis version in Latin of my English language setting, I have completed the Latin setting (SATB) and am posting it here (soon it will also be at CPDL). The English original is also attached. I have not yet prepared a sound file for the Latin version.

Edit: Today (Jan. 17th) I uploaded corrected versions (there was a wrong note in the keyboard reduction).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Attached here is an MP3 sound file of the Latin version.

I should add that the request was from someone wishing to use the Latin text on Candlemas for an EF mass.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks a bunch for the MP3! I printed this out yesterday and was playing it. It is transcendent and lovely, Charles. I love the harmonies. I am in awe yet again at your musicianship and artistry.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Lovely! I saved it for use later in the year.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Charles, I wanted to thank you also for your setting of Adorna, Sion, thalamum. We will sing it as our main hymn during our outdoor EF Candlemas procession. I wish we could sing it in parts but we only have about 10 schola members so unison will carry much better outdoors.

We'll sing it in chant/SATB verses next Sunday for our Offertory hymn so the people will get a chance to hear it before Candlemas so hopefully, they'll join in during the procession with their handouts. It's such a simple, accessible tune, they should be able to pick it up. We'll also sing a few verses before Mass on the 2nd.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Looks very good. If you care to do so, email me the midi file (not the sounds, the midi notes to run in a sequencer) and I think I could quickly give you a much better mp3 using my vocal sounds and intonation routines.

William
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Bumping for Candlemas/Feast of the Presentation. Also, here is a performance of the English language version:

width="640" height="360">
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Bumping for Candlemas/Feast of the Presentation. The MP3 file for the Latin version above is performed by Oboe d'amore, English horn, French horn, and trombone.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Glad to hear the Old Church English version!
    Now, all we need is a matching Magnificat and it would be most fitting for evensong in the Ordinariate!
    I would recommend it most heartily to our choirmaster at Walsingham.

For good measure, you could throw in some preces and suffrages.
    I can see it now! Giffen's Evening Service in Bb.
  • (From a prayer I learned as a young boy, which Jackson may still know... and it seems somewhat appropriate, given the Nunc Dimittis)

Lighten our darkness, we beseech Thee, O Lord,
    and by Thy great mercy defend from all perils and dangers of this night.....
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • That prayer, Chris, is indeed from Evensong -

A Collect for Aid against Perils:
    Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck CHGiffen
  • C. H. Giffen, Such a sublime composition you have shared!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bumping*
    Blessed Candlemas to all of you.
    Thanked by 1marymezzo