Advent polyphony and motets
  • charchar
    Any recommendations for polyphony and motets for Advent? Nothing too difficult. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Vox clamantis in deserto – Diego de las Muelas
    http://www.solovoces.com/e107_files/downloads/sv204.pdf

Did this with my very small, amateur choir that does not do much polyphony. Was very beautiful.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The above suggestion was first brought to my attention in this thread:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/3518/advent-and-christmas/p1
  • melofluentmelofluent
    ADVENT MESSAGE G.F. Handel
    DIXIT MARIA Hassler
    more to follow when I'm at office
  • hartleymartin
    Ad te levavi by Franz xaver Witt. Very simple harmony. It is also the correct text for the offertory on Advent Sunday I. If you need to lengthen it, chant some psalm verses from the 1935 Offertoriale.
  • hartleymartin
    It should be on cpdl. I'd post a link but im posting from my phone.
  • rich_enough
    Ad te levavi - Franz Xaver Witt (as suggested by hartleymartin) - Introit and Offertory of 1st Sunday of Advent

Conditor Alme Siderum – Michael Praetorius

Ecce concipies - Jacob Handl

Gaudete quia vobis - Charles Wood

Rorate Caeli - Christopher Tye (attached) - Introit of 4th Sunday of Advent

Some easier settings of Alma Redemptoris Mater, the proper Marian antiphon for Advent and Christmas. These are a bit longer, but well worth learning:
    Juan Garcia de Salazar

Palestrina

Francesco Soriano

and Marian motets, some of which you can use at other times of the year
    Dixit Maria - Hans Leo Hassler

Ave Maria – Cornelius Verdonck

Sicut Lilium Inter Spinas – Antoine Brumel - for Immaculate Conception

More ideas at Aristotle Esguerra's site.

Of all of these, I'd recommend Rorate Caeli (Tye), Dixit Maria (Hassler), and Ave Maria (Verdonck).
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, Sam's done shut de door on this thread! At least I got to Hassler first!
  • rich_enough
    I sure hope not! My list is limited to the selections I'm familiar with, plus stuff I've happened to come across on cpdl - a very small batch considering all that's out there.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Did Batch write any Advent motets?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JS Batch or one of his sons?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Unda_Maris
    There is also a setting of "Ad Te Levavi" - Rheinberger (Introit - Advent I)
    "Sleepers Wake A Voice Is Calling" -- F. Mendelssohn (from oratorio "St. Paul")
    Thanked by 1char
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Alma Redemptoris Mater by Palestrina
    Veni, O Sapientia (Traditional)
    Rorate Caeli by Leo Nestor
    Veni, Jesu by Luigi Cherubini
    Thanked by 1char
  • Protasius
    The Alma redemptoris by Bernabei is also quite nice.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    PDQ Bach, Adam.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • charchar
    Thanks everyone! This helps so much!!!
  • About the Hassler Dixit Maria, I have two different editions. Does anyone know whether the tenor's first B is a b-flat or b-natural? The editions I have differ on this point.
  • I use the b-natural, but I know those who would use the b-flat.

Edit: a number of higher-end serious (non-church choir) groups that I've sung with in the past have all used the b-natural version. Although I know one or two who would go with the flat, I find the natural to create the tension that then is resolved in the following passages. I'm wondering if the flat is a more modern version... I am pretty decrepit!
  • Heath
    Personally, I think it's the most gratifying to sing the B-flat first, though that's not a scholarly opinion, just a musical one. : )
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, the initial B-flat on the ascending passage (on "an-") is much more traditional (and in keeping with Renaissance performance practice), while musica ficta raising the B-flat to B-natural (on "-ge-") is wholly in keeping with period practice. It is the same (but explicitly written out) with the Cantus (soprano) part four measures later and then the Bass part another two measures later.

The Raf Ornes score at CPDL is a model of correctness.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Charles,

I'm confused. How can both practices be "in keeping with period practice"?
  • Schönbergian
    The B-flat first, and then the B-natural on the following note.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I didn't say "both practices" ... the one note that gets the raised half degree is leading tone to a cadence, but the first B-flat plays no such role. Hassler even wrote out the raised cadencial half degree in the Soprano and Bass iterations of the same figure. In no case is the first B-flat of the figure raised to a B-natural. In two of three cases, the second B-flat is explicitly raised to B-natural in the original edition, and the one remaining case (in the Tenor part), one assumes either that Hassler overlooked raising the B-flat a half step, or it was a copyist error, or (most likely) Hassler intended to leave the B-flat alone, leaving it to performers to make a decision. It's important to note that the other two instances of the B-natural are pretty much required by the harmonic context of the other three parts (there is more ambiguity in the case of the Tenor part, because not all parts have entered the texture).

I'm attaching the appropriate pages from the partbooks of Hassler's Cantiones Sacrae for comparison (they are available at IMSLP). Incidentally, these show the correctness of the Ornes edition at CPDL.