Feast of Visitation
  • Does anybody have any good hymn suggestions for this feast day? I would prefer to not use JMT's "Holy is His Name". Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, there is a metrical adaptation of the Magnificat as "Tell out, my soul".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ji4y9Q-K0
  • The Gospel for the May 31st Feast of the Visitation, Luke 1:39-56, has two main sections, in a sense. The first consists of verses 39-45, and is the actual story of the Visitation. The second consists of verses 46-56, and is the Magnificat. So, as Richard Chonak mentioned above, "Tell Out, My Soul" or another version of a sung Magnificat could be appropriate.

The first part of this Gospel is also used on the Fourth Sunday of Advent, Cycle C. You might get some ideas for other appropriate hymns by consulting liturgical planning guides for this Sunday, provided the suggestions are not specific to Advent.

The Worship IV hymnal has a "hymn of the day" about the Visitation story at #898, "When to Mary, the Word." The text was written by Patricia Blaze Clark, and the tune used is MIDDLEBURY.
  • chonakchonak
    And we shouldn't neglect to mention Fr. Chepponis' own setting of the Magnificat ("Proclaim the greatness of God...").
  • BenBen
    Yes, Fr. Chepponis' setting is certainly one to consider, if you're going english & metrical.
    Thanked by 1Fr. Jim Chepponis
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • Ave maris stella?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    um... aren't there Propers for this?
  • Aaron
    I am actually looking for accompanied settings of the Vesper antiphons in English for this feast. Any ideas where to look? Also, my pastor has asked for a metrical setting of the Magnificat, but no refrain, and closer to the real text than some of the other metrical adaptations in the hymnals. Any suggestions?
  • Liam
    "Tell Out My Soul" is set to Gibbons' "Song 22" tune in HP&SC. A lovely match.
  • Aaron
    Anyone willing to compose monophonic setting of the English antiphons for Vespers? We are using the St. Meinrad psalm tones for the verses and I would prefer to sing the antiphons to something other than the psalm tone. If possible the antiphon for Psalm 122 in Mode 2, Psalm 127 in Mode 8, and Ephesians in Mode 4 to match the tones we are singing on the verses. Thanks!
  • hartleymartin
    Is there a metrical hymn setting of the magnificat other than the one set to the same tune as "Amazing Grace?" Preferably something in CC or PD.
  • BenBen
    Here is what we are doing for the feast (which is incidentally also the graduation Mass for the homeschool group, but we are not really taking that into account, liturgically).

Schola Doc
  • Thanks for sharing, Ben.
  • Chrism
    (which is incidentally also the graduation Mass for the homeschool group, but we are not really taking that into account, liturgically

Which is your choice, as there is a tradition to take precisely that sort of event into account. See RGMR 1960, #370, b), for the II Class Votive Mass "for the beginning and end of the scholastic year" for "schools, colleges, seminaries, and other institutions of this kind".
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks Ben, You've just done 80% of the work I had to do for tomorrow's mass for me!
  • BenBen
    No problem! I assume the extra 20% would be finding graduates to graduate? :D
  • BenBen
    Note that the ave maria is the unrevised version. His new version was better, but we picked the old one for some other reasons.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Yes, thanks to Ben, this was very helpful!