What is the purpose of hymnody in the Roman Rite Mass (OF)?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sure that's true.
    But still...

I have tried to use silence as such.
    I have usually found it to be much more solemn to have some instrumental music or a meditative song.
  • Salieri, thanks for starting a valuable, thought-provoking thread.
    When I first encountered CMAA, and began wrestling my experiences in parish life and liturgical tradition (meaning centuries, not 1-2 generations) I had a lot to learn about the use of hymns. Many of us have "been there".

One teeny-tiny request-
    "Roman" Catholic originated as, and is still often used as, a derogatory term. In my area, this is unfortunately still the case. I don't know why Catholics adopted it, and I don't want to derail a good thread. Suffice it to say that is not a term the Church Herself has historically used.
    We are Catholics, and we have a Catholic Mass. No need to worry about confusing "Catholic Mass" with the public worship of our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters. They do not use the word "Mass", as it derives from Latin.
  • CharlesW
    In fact, we easterners refer to the westerners as "Latins." We often call ourselves, "Greek Catholics, or Byzantines." BTW, the Byzantines of the Empire called themselves, "Romans."
  • SalieriSalieri
    I was very specific about using the word ROMAN in this thread, and perhaps I should have been more specific. Latin-Rite-Catholics-who-use-the-Roman-Missal-of-Paul-VI-in-the-Third-typical-edition-of-John-Paul-II-translated-by-the-International-Commission-on-English-in-the-Liturgy just didn't sound right...

My main concern was not with confusing the Latin Rite Mass with Eastern Rite Divine Liturgies; rather with confusion between the rubrics of the Missale Romanum/Roman Missal 1969/2002/2011, and even earlier customs and traditions (small 't') associated with the Roman Missal 1962, and with the traditions of other Latin Rite Uses, in particular the Anglican Tradition and the Book of Divine Worship, which function under their own rubrics and traditions, distinct from those of the Novus Ordo Roman Missal.

• "...perhaps I should have been more specific. Latin-Rite-Catholics-who-use-the-Roman-Missal-of-Paul-VI-in-the-Third-typical-edition-of-John-Paul-II-translated-by-the-International-Commission-on-English-in-the-Liturgy just didn't sound right"

Hee hee. :)
    "Ordinary Form" would avoid both a derogatory connotation as well as the AU confusion.
    Again, I am most grateful that you started this thread at all. It is a necessary question.
  • Yes, Charles, that is what my Eastern friends call us- Latins. Fine with me. Doesn't come with the same baggage.
    Within 15 miles, we have Copt, Maronite, Byzantine, Chaldean, Ukrainian churches in San Diego. Talk about diversity, and an embarrassment of riches! I treasure going to festivals and liturgies at all of them when I can. For the food, for the prayers!
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, MHI brought this up the other day: in England and the US, "Roman Catholic" has been a term used to stigmatize Catholics as foreign, or a term used as part of the spurious "branch theory" ecclesiology proposed by certain Anglicans/Episcopalians.

But I propose we take the initiative and accept the term ourselves as a simple shorthand for "Roman-rite Catholics", in contrast to "Eastern Catholics". The handful of people who use the term with invidious or polemical intentions only hurt themselves by their distortions.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Having been out of the fray of late due to recital practice, I ask simply:

We have models of hymnody used in the low mass model, various cultural traditions and circumstances to numerous to name. BUT:

We sure spend a lot of time going on about hymnody when we argue going beyond option 4 in so many other places.

Are we not trying here to go beyond option 4 to options 1-3? The hymn model is a transitional one to me. I want to look to a deeper recognition of the tradition. Hymnbooks for me are transitional items and necessary in the interim, but are not the ultimate objectives something greater than hymns, "the hymn du jour" proposed by GIA and the hymn sandwich offered up. I am "moving on up" to paraphrase the TV sitcom.

We have a book for singing at Mass: the GR. If we cannot use it, look to it for what it is and emulate it in a form where we are. That will take different possibilities for different places. You know the options. We have them. We did not have these possibilities 10 or 20 years ago.

Exhausted from all the discussion of hymns. Tired of using hymns also....
    Thanked by 3rich_enough Ted francis
  • francis
    Well said, Kevin.

I do believe a paradigm shift has and will continue to occur. The cat is out of the bag, so to speak, and we are all chasing it for sure. I pray that we can all work to bring about the new (old?) (renewed?) practice of actually singing the Mass. Pax.
  • Kevin, I certainly see where you're coming from, believe me.
    Vernacular hymns constitute <10% of the music at my parish any given Sunday. Why oh why do we discuss them so much?

Because not every parish has the freedom to break away from dependence on hymns yet. And not every Catholic sacred musician understands why they should. I assure you, this thread has opened the eyes for some people considering "why are we using this model, anyway? What's the difference between liturgical and devotional? If sung liturgy is what the Council called for, how did we get to this"? It's good and healthy for people to process this.

Chonak, with great respect, I disagree. I do not wish to appropriate a term that is inaccurate and derogatory. Like so many, lots of my ancestors paid a dear price for remaining loyal to the Church. Others abandoned the faith and lived a life of luxury and showed great arrogance toward Catholics. Sadly, I see this divide in my own family today. Both my grandmothers were converts. One came from a very prominent Episcopalian family. Her parents were tolerant, but extended family remains hostile, perhaps more outwardly so given recent social/cultural divides between Catholics and Episcopalians.
    Call me Catholic, call me Western, call me Latin.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • francis
    MCW, You Latinist! I Love it!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've always liked the phrase "Roman Popery"

Thanked by 3jpal Salieri Kathy
  • SalieriSalieri
    I was going to mention it earlier that I believe that hymns should be a stepping stone to the propers, and thus why it is important to underline the word liturgical in the new translation of the GIRM.

The reason why, to me, much of the hymnody used at Mass today does not fit the bill of option four is because of its non-liturgical character. For example, I think we can all agree that "Mother Dear, O pray for me", is not a liturgical chant, in any manner of speaking, right? Now, if that song was what was meant by option four, it would be difficult for people to wrap their 'eads round option three: antiphons and psalms from another collection.

Why? Because people need to be taught the language of the liturgy. This, in a way, is why a few/some/many people dislike the new translation: it uses a sacred liturgical language that is not part of everyday usage. The Psalter and the other liturgical books contain phrases, speach patterns, analogies, juxtapositions, etc. that are often not encountered in many hymn-texts, particularly those from about 1920 on. The first step to grasping the language of the scriptures would be through the langauge of liturgical hymnody, via Aquinas, Ambrose, Gregory, Abelard, and other writers who digested the whole Psalter on a weekly basis, and whose texts, consequently are embued with scriptural language.

The proper implementation of option four would whet peoples' appetites, and would be more readily accepting of options three through one.

To me the same thing went wrong with the four options of GIRM 48, as with Pius XII's "10-step-program" for making a high Mass. What were intended to be a progressive way to get from A to Zed turned into the monster we know today as 'progressive solemnity'. (insert wretching sound here)

In other words, to return to the orginal idea: If you're singing "Mother Dear, O pray for me", you won't likely be getting to "Salva Sancta parens" anytime soon. "Ave Maris stella" (a liturgical hymn from the divine office) is the stepping stone you need to get from singing hymnody at Mass to singing the propers of the Mass.
  • SalieriSalieri
    On a lighter note, perhaps we could have some bumper-stickers made up:

PAPIST AND PROUD
  • jpal
    Salieri: done.
  • Salieri, your line of thinking is really compelling. I especially like this:
    "In other words, to return to the orginal idea: If you're singing "Mother Dear, O pray for me", you won't likely be getting to "Salva Sancta parens" anytime soon. "Ave Maris stella" (a liturgical hymn from the divine office) is the stepping stone you need to get from singing hymnody at Mass to singing the propers of the Mass."

Makes so much sense.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    jpal: I love it!
  • Adam, jpal-
    Now that's funny. Humor cures so many things!
  • kevinfkevinf
    A well made point Salieri,especially what MaryAnn found compelling.

Perhaps someday we shall have a hymnal that will make that transition that Salieri speaks of. This is the conversation that needs to happen, not another regurgitation of WI-W4.
    Thanked by 3Kathy Salieri CHGiffen
  • Blaise

"Latin Church" is the official term used by the Code of Canon Law (1983) to distinguish those of us formally enrolled in the western Church. No offense there. Likewise, "Roman Missal" holds our chief form of worship. No offense there either.

Unfortunately, "Roman Catholic" is used by Protestants to emphasize their own claims to being in the church "Catholic".

When I was at Baylor, a professor (Protestant), remarking on St. Ignatius' remark, "where the bishop is, there is the Catholic church", said, "not just the Roman Catholic church". This is coming from a Baptist, I think he was, whose communities don't have bishops. *shrug*

Now, as for hymns.....
  • Blaise
    CharlesW,

Speaking of the Romans, Monsignor Appleyard in his book "Light of the East" states that if you go to the East today and ask for a "Roman" church you will be shown a Byzantine church. If you want a western church, you have to ask for a "Latin" church.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Because the Roman Empire didn't fall until 1917.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Not making any commitments or promises, but, would this be a topic of interest for a paper in Sacred Music, or have we basically exhausted everything right here?
  • Kathy
    Write it!
    Thanked by 1elaine60
  • ronkrisman
    "Latin Church" is the official term used by the Code of Canon Law (1983) to distinguish those of us formally enrolled in the western Church. No offense there. Likewise, "Roman Missal" holds our chief form of worship. No offense there either.

Paul, you are correct.

A little more info to develop your point that the "'Roman Missal' holds our chief form of worship": The Latin Church is a single Church sui iuris. But it has three rites - Roman, Ambrosian, Mozarabic, and each of these rites has its own missal. I believe I am correct in saying that all the other churches sui iuris have but a single rite each; indeed, many of the churches sui iuris share the same rite, the Byzantine Rite. The Latin Church also has some variant "usages" in the Roman rite.
  • Blaise
    Thank you, Father Krisman, for the reminder on the Ambrosian and Mozarabic rites. As for myself, I attend an Anglican Use (Pastoral Provision decree of Pope John Paul II) parish which uses the Book of Divine Worship as our main liturgical book (used for one Low Mass and two sung Masses each Sunday and all holy days of obligation as well as other special days), with the Ordinary Form (Roman Missal) in Latin being used for the evening Mass each Sunday, except on Easter Sunday.

While we are on the Eastern Catholics, I also attend a Ruthenian Byzantine community (not officially a mission, let alone a parish) and during the summer, also a Maronite parish. Since this thread is about hymns, I should also mention that some of the OCP quality songs tend to make their way into the Qurbono (Maronite Divine Liturgy, or Mass) at our parish.

(As an aside, at my home parish, the AU one, with the exception of the Low Mass, the responses are sung through and through, as well as the Gospel except on Palm Sunday and, with occasional exceptions, the intentions.....as well as for the BDW Masses, the hymns. Good ones.)
  • Blaise
    Now, to the OP: I was reading the Fall 2008 edition of Sacred Music, published by CMAA, and found a commentary which you may be interested in by Dr. Helen Harrison on the place of hymns in the Mass.
  • chonakchonak
    Here it is. (page 40)
  • hartleymartin
    I'm moving in the direction that hymns should act primarily as a supplement to the proper liturgical music. For example, this Sunday (Trinity) we will sing "Firmly I Believe and Truly" to Drakes Broughton after the communion chant. (We're also singing Palestrina's O Beata Trinitas at the offertory).
  • Blaise
    We sang "Firmly I Believe and Truly" to the tune of Nashotah House for our parochial vicar's ordination to the Catholic priesthood in 2010.
  • Blaise
    At my parish, there is time to do minor propers, sung by the low voices of the choir, at least one choral anthem or motet, often two, sung by the choir, and a postcommunion hymn sung by all of the worshippers, with organ filling in as needed between the singing.
  • chonakchonak
    @francis: does that post belong as a topic of its own?
  • francis
    chonak:

I understand where you are going, but you cannot disconnect the problem of American Catholic hymnals with the deeper root problem, AmChurch, one and the same philosophical issue. Catholics in America, and in cahoots with our present cadre of longstanding hymnal publishers, compose their own tangential theology to that of the Church. It is why we have the constant liturgical carnage in our parishes. It is also why we can constantly 'spin' out new theology and insert it into the Mass at four different points throughout (the hymn sandwich). Our hymnals, in a sense, are the trojan horses that hijack the liturgy en masse.

You are what you eat, and you believe what you sing. That is a LARGE reason why Catholics today don't even know their faith and even less how to defend it against corruption, and why our hymnals are 'full of it', and bereft of authentic sacred liturgical music.

In short, what I am saying is that The Purpose of Hymnody in the Roman Rite Mass is to promote the AmChurch philosophy. It gets 1000% worse when it is superimposed on pop style music, which is ALSO considered 'hymnody'. It's the perfect ruse to present anything one wants in the name of creativity and innovation completely apart from the very authority of Rome.
  • francis
    However, I will start said subject on another thread, chonak and just refer us to there if necessary.
  • SalieriSalieri
    This has no bearing (sp?) on the topic of this thread, per se; but is apropos to the paper, regarding citation style in Sacred Music.

How would one cite a section of The Musical Shape of the Liturgy? Would one need to include the title of the chapter/paper, or just the page number? i.e.

William Peter Mahrt, The Musical Shape of the Liturgy, CMAA 2012, Chapter 9, "Commentary on Sing to the Lord," pg. 175.

or

William Peter Mahrt, The Musical Shape of the Liturgy, CMAA 2012, pg. 175.

I used to be quite good at this, but I haven't written a paper in five years; it's that 'use it or lose it' thing...
  • Ignoto
    For a definitive answer, I defer to those who would be reviewing your submission... but the Style Sheet for Submissions might be useful: http://musicasacra.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Sacred_Music_Style_Sheet.pdf

Page 3 discusses References in section VI.

Does that help?
  • SalieriSalieri
    I've looked there and couldn't find the answer. Help?!
  • chonakchonak
    There's more than one way to present references. A book like the "Chicago Manual of Style" goes into exquisite detail about it. One form, for use in footnotes, is like this:

William Peter Mahrt, The Musical Shape of the Liturgy (Richmond: Church Music Association of America, 2012), 175.
  • MarkThompson
    I've looked there and couldn't find the answer. Help?!

The answer is no. The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed., § 14.115, says:
    CHAPTER ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ELSEWHERE

When a chapter that was originally published as an article in a journal is cited, only the book version need be cited. If the original publication is of particular interest, details may be added to the entry in the bibliography after such wording as "originally published as" (see 14.190, first example).

If you wanted to cite a whole chapter, you could do that (see § 14.111, "Chapter in a single-author book"). But there is no need to cite the entire chapter or the original paper.
  • hartleymartin
    Well, Hymns can be useful for the recessional, especially in EF masses, when you know that you will have a congregation itching to sing something. (Active participation, anyone?)

Attached is "All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure", slightly adapted for a recessional for the First Friday Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Liam
    Thinking today of a great *modern* hymn: "O God Almighty Father". Written in 1948. Sounds like it is a century or two older, but it's not.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for that one, Liam. I love that hymn and haven't thought of it in a long time. Brings back great memories. I remember singing it in church as a very little girl and wondering what on earth "Undivided U-N-T" meant for the longest time until I learned to read and figured it out.

We sang "Eternal Father, strong to save" (Navy Hymn) this morning as our recessional since it mentions the Trinity and was appropriate for Memorial Day (two for the price of one!) and it was really moving in SATB.

I was happy I had found the U.S. Episcopalian (1940) version online since the second and third verses mention "peril on the land" and "peril in the air" along with "peril on the sea" in the first verse so all the armed forces were covered.
  • MHIMHI
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Our congregation absolutely sings the responses and ordinary at our EF Latin Mass. I print out customized handouts every Sunday with the Gregorian chant notation of the ordinary, responses and even some of the propers (Introit, Alleluia and Communion) so the people can get accustomed to seeing the music and will feel welcome to sing along.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • MHIMHI
  • Priestboi
    The only issue I have with hymnody at Mass is that often the people dont know any. My parish has a staple of 10 that get moved around and then 2 or 3 per season (Christmas/Easter etc.). At the end of the day the meaning behind the devotionalism is a moot point. Why? There is often little devotion. I think para-liturgical events, home cells, family scripture sharing and the like amy improve the devotional aspect and provide a home for hymnody. For now I really cant conceive good places for hymns within the liturgy unless we become like the Orthodox. I think pre-Mass as a Gathering Hymn and post Mass as an Exerunt (Dismissal Hymn or Recessional) is good.
  • hartleymartin
    I've encountered several editions of "All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure", with verses arranged in several permutations, and others with certain verses left out. The one I attached has the verses specifically arranged to be used as a recessional. On the Feast of the Sacred Heart, I would most likely use one with the other verses at communion.
    Thanked by 1MHI