First Use of “Fertilizing” in a Hymn?
  • ronkrisman
    I cannot locate my copy of Routley’s 1979 A Panorama of Christian Hymnody, but this is what the revised and expanded Routley/Richardson (2005) gives as the original Andrew Reed hymn, “Spirit Divine, Attend Our Prayers,” published in 1829.

I wonder if chemical fertilizers were in use in 1829, or just the natural variety?

Perhaps this is a good Pentecost/Holy Spirit hymn to discuss?

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
    and make this house thy home;
    descend with all thy gracious powers,
    O come, great Spirit, come!

Come as the light – to us reveal
    our emptiness and woe;
    and lead us in the paths of life
    where all the righteous go.

Come as the fire – and purge our hearts
    like sacrificial flame;
    let our whole soul an offering be
    to our Redeemer's name.

Come as the dew, and sweetly bless
    this consecrated hour;
    may barrenness rejoice to own
    thy fertilizing power.

Come as the dove – and spread thy wings,
    the wings of peaceful love;
    and let thy Church on earth become
    blest as the Church above.

Come as the wind – with rushing sound
    And Pentecostal grace;
    That all of woman born may see
    The glory of thy face.

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
    make a lost world thy home;
    descend with all thy gracious powers;

Words: Andrew Reed
    Evangelical Magazine, June, 1829
    (as published in A Panorama of Christian Hymnody, Erik Routley, Edited and Expanded by Paul A. Richardson, © 2005, 1979, GIA Publications, Inc.)

Worship II (1975) used stanzas 1, 2, 3, 5, 7
    The only variation from what is above is in the last two lines of stanza 2:
    and lead us in those paths of life
    whereon the righteous go.

Worship III (1986)
    Changed “thou/thy” to “you/your”
    Changed “attend” in the first and final stanzas to “accept”

Worship III

Spirit divine, accept our prayers,
    and make this house your home;
    descend with all your gracious powers,

Come as the light; to us reveal
    our emptiness and woe;

Come as the fire, and purge our hearts
    like sacrificial flame;
    let our whole soul an offering be
    to our Redeemer's name.

Come as the dove, and spread your wings,
    the wings of peaceful love;
    and let your Church on earth become

Spirit divine, accept our prayers,
    make a lost world your home;
    descend with all your gracious powers;

Worship IV
    GIA's English Text Review Committee discussed this hymn on Jan. 21, 2010
    Reconsidered restoring “attend” in the first and final stanzas, but thought it better to ask the Spirit to “inspire” our prayer in the first stanza, and “accept” it in the final. (The use of “inspire” is from the 1992 Brethren/Mennonite Hymnal: A Worship Book.)
    Removed the “s” from “prayer” and “pow’r” in the first and last stanzas (as WLP has it in its hymnals)
    The alterations made in stanza 3 (“fire”) are basically those included in the 1992 Brethren/Mennonite Hymnal: A Worship Book.

What some may see as the most significant alteration is the final line of the first and last stanzas: Come, Holy Spirit, come! The ETRC felt strongly that “Holy Spirit” should be used in this hymn, rather than “great Spirit.”
    There is also a tune consideration. Try singing this “CM” text to the “CM” tunes AZMON, LAND OF REST, McKEE, MORNING SONG, and a host of others. The opening “Spirit” does not work, and the second word in stanzas 2-5 (“as”) falls on a downbeat – not good. What this demonstrates is the fact that a number of basically iambic tunes and texts substitute a trochee for the initial iamb: DIADEMATA is a fine example. But the tune GRÄEFENBURG seems to call for this trochee and iamb combination both for its first and last musical phrases, and “Cóme, Holy, Spír-” works better than “Ó come, great Spír-”

Worship IV

Spirit divine, inspire our prayer,
    and make this house your home;
    descend with all your gracious pow’r,
    Come, Holy Spirit, come!

Come as the light; to us reveal
    our emptiness and woe;

Come as the fire and cleanse our hearts
    with purifying flame;
    let all our lives an offering be
    to our Redeemer's name.

Come as the dove and spread your wings,
    the wings of peace and love;
    and let your Church on earth become

Come as the wind, with rushing sound
    And Pentecostal grace,
    That all the human race may see
    The glory of your face.

Spirit divine, accept our prayer,
    And make this world your home;
    descend with all your gracious pow’r,
    Come, Holy Spirit, come!

• noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Here's how you make a church VIBRANT!

You take everything the way that people decided years, if not centuries, ago was appropriate, fine and even holy and change it.

The vibrations are not the sound of the walls reflecting sound and reverberating the voices of the people as they pray and sing, it's the sound of the doors slamming as they leave, never to come back.

The actions of these priests and people in dumbing down the words of the hymns and the Mass are pure....pure fertilizer. At least they have to eventually answer to a higher authority, just like Hebrew National.

Non-kosher hot dogs have anything that resembles meat that can't be sold as a cut of meat - lips, snouts, muscle scrapings from bones, whey powder, odd animals.

And musically - in both music and text - that's what we have today in almost every church. What are they doing about it? Trying to give excuses instead of admitting error.
  • ronkrisman
    There was some fine discussion of "Hail the Day" yesterday. I'm hoping that posting this text of "Spirit Divine, Inspire Our Prayer" may lead to a similar fruitful exchange.

A warning. I can't stay around. My jury duty yesterday, it turns out, was not a one-day affair!
  • Liam
    Well, the shift from "great Spirit" to "Holy Spirit" is a big plus that goes against the expected direction in this area. I don't waste energy getting outraged over shifts in second person pronouns so long as they don't unduly disrupt the author's poetic scheme (that is, I wouldn't tend to put energy into making such changes, but by the same token I won't use energy to object too much either).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    you have to have fertilizer if you're going to grow where you're planted
  • Kathy
    Julian mentions that Reed's hymn originally in Evangelical Magazine is reprinted in his Hymn Book. The Hymn Book is available online for free download, if you would want to confirm Routley's text. Some numbers of Evangelical Magazine are online as well, and I'm sure with a little research one could be sure that the Hymn Book and Evangelical Magazine match, and that one begins with the precisely correct original.

Once again to focus on just one of the hymn's words, when "attend" was changed to "accept," the hymn lost its resonance with the Lenten hymn Attende, Domine. Wouldn't it be nice to have that resonance again? The Liturgy provides these interesting bookend experience (one thinks of the use of Psalm 104 at both the Easter Vigil and at Pentecost), and here we've lost one.

"Inspire" is very weak indeed. It is cognate with Spirit, so here we have the redundancy, "Spirit, inspire," which is basically tautological, at least in the economic order. It redirects the hymn from something directed TO the third Person of the Trinity, a prayer form rare enough, to something rather vaguely prayerful. The hymn originally asked, "Hear our prayers, xyz." Now the first line is simply one of a list of requests. It used to function rather like an invitatory before praying; now it is one of a series of petitions. It is also an extremely unoriginal term in hymns about the Holy Spirit. Because "fire" and "inspire" rhyme, using "inspire" for the action of the Holy Spirit has become rather a cliche. Thinking of Romans 8, and the way St. Paul speaks vigorously about the way the Holy Spirit works in us to effect our prayer, one realizes how relatively vacant the word "inspire" is.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    The change from "powers" to "power" likewise weakens the text. The Holy Spirit has powers, such as His gifts and fruits. Obviously He has power, too, but why the change? Following other hymnals cannot be a sufficient justification. We've lost and not gained.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Because "fire" and "inspire" rhyme, using "inspire" for the action of the Holy Spirit has become rather a cliche.

oh, Kathy, you too easily tire.
    these simple rhymes should not raise your ire
    sometimes a poet's deadline has come down to the wire
    and they just don't have time to worry too much about perfecting the rhythm and meter of every single line
  • Kathy
    but Adam, we must aspire
    when these are sung by the choir
    unless the situation is dire
    a lot of times we could think of something else to make it come out just fine.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Here's a question: faced with a hymnal compilation choice of including the original text, not including it, or only modifying "great Spirit" to "Holy Spirit", what would you choose?
  • Kathy
    "Holy Spirit" is better, and since the hymn isn't likely to be remembered, because its use is infrequent, I would change it.

If similarly good reasons suggested changing a hymn used often, in Ordinary Time, I would not change it. Hymns like that can be memorized and become part of people's prayer life, and changing them disrupts the memorization process that occurs over time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Good point.

"Fertilizing" nowadays brings humorous associations to mind. I'd suggest you replace the word with "fecundating".
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    you have to have fertilizer if you're going to grow where you're planted

There you go again, Adam, changing the orginal text. Its' "Bloom where you're planted." :)

http://www.ocp.org/products/11730#tab:contents
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    you'll forgive me for not having looked it up.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Of course. Talk about a trip down memory lane.
  • Kathy
    Actually it's bloom, bloom, bloom where you're planted.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • MarkThompson
    Let's see, a few thoughts:

ATTEND → ACCEPT: This seems like a good idea, as "attend" is not used in modern English with a direct object to mean "listen to."

ACCEPT → INSPIRE: An unnecessary, but on the whole beneficial, change. Kathy is quite wrong about any perceived tautology. Etymologically, a "Spirit" is not something that breathes, but a breath itself. The Spirit (Gr. Pneuma) is the Breath of God ("Only the penitent man will pass"). Thus, "Spirit divine, inspire" -- in addition to creating a pleasing assonance between "divine" and "inspire," petitions the Breath of God himself to breathe into us and fill us with his power. Clever; this works on a couple of levels.

GREAT SPIRIT → HOLY SPIRIT: I find the end result kind of flat, but it was probably a wise idea to get rid of the "Great Spirit," which sounds like something out of Native American lore.

PURGE → CLEANSE; SACRIFICIAL → PURIFYING; SOULS → LIVES: A classic GIA purgation ... excuse me, cleansing. For shame, ETRC, you disgrace yourselves.

PEACEFUL LOVE → PEACE AND LOVE: Is there any hymn written since 1970 that does not mention "peace'n'love"? I realize the Vietnam War was a big deal and all.... Here we had a nice, somewhat alternative, expression of the very same concepts, and someone was motivated to change it. Lame.

ALL OF WOMAN BORN → ALL THE HUMAN RACE: Now here's a change I can appreciate. As a man, I am tired of the sexist female chauvinism that says that only women can bear children. In addition, it is just to haaaaaaard to understand that everybody born of woman = everybody.

MAKE A LOST WORLD THY HOME → AND MAKE THIS WORLD YOUR HOME: It is wonderful to have the "Lost World" dinosaur reference stricken from the text. We're creationists, dagnabbit, not evolutionists. Dinosaurs, LOL.
  • ronkrisman
    Mark,

I thank you and all the others who commented.

I don't share your views on stanza 3, the "fire" stanza. The image of fire purifying is quite common: the refiner's fire; gold being purified by fire. The "sacrificial fire" in this hymn appears to refer to burnt offerings. And, if that is the case, the metaphor seems misapplied. In a burnt offering, the holocaust is consumed by fire and those who made the offering are purged of their sin. The sacrifice itself is not purged of sin; those who offer it are. So Reed's original text is, at the very least, unclear; I think the text changes that the ETRC borrowed from the 1992 Brethren/Mennonite Hymnal: A Worship Book are good ones.

I'm sorry that I cannot reconstruct the ETRC's discussion about changing "peaceful love" to "peace and love" in stanza 4. About six months ago I began to purge my home of many boxes of stuff I used in the preparation of 4 GIA hymnals over the past 5 years or so. Many if not all of my annotated agenda from ETRC meetings are long gone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sorry that I cannot reconstruct the ETRC's discussion about changing "peaceful love" to "peace and love" in stanza 4. About six months ago I began to purge my home of many boxes of stuff I used in the preparation of 4 GIA hymnals over the past 5 years or so. Many if not all of my annotated agenda from ETRC meetings are long gone.

This is a real shame, as this sort of thing would have been a valuable part of the historical record on the development in liturgical trends in this era.

(And, to continue beating the drum, another example if why Open Source processes should be adopted... the record is persistent and takes up no space.)
  • Kathy
    I defer to MarkThompson's learned knowledge of the Harrison Ford cinematic corpus. Well argued.
  • ronkrisman
    Adam, I'm not so sure my annotated minutes of ETRC meetings are that important for the "historical record." The final published text is the historical record. Our committee compared original hymn texts (as far as we were able to determine), with various edited and altered versions in Worship II, Worship III and other hymnals (most often Lutheran and Episcopal ones). The texts in Worship IV reflect the majority opinion of the 5 members of the ETRC. There were disagreements in the ETRC about certain wordings in texts, just as there inevitably will be disagreements among those who use and critique our work.

I must admit that the change of "peaceful love" to "peace and love" in stanza 4 did provoke a bit of surprise in me yesterday when I prepared the texts for this thread. I thought to myself, "Now, why did we change that?"

I still have the agenda for the various meetings of the ETRC in my computer. Usually when there was some possible change in a text that I wanted the ETRC to discuss I would note the wording in the Proposed Text for Worship IV column by bolding and underlining the proposed change. I added no such typographical indicators to the proposed change of wording from "peaceful love" to "peace and love," and I have no recollection of the ETRC discussing this change, so that makes me think that this alteration of text may have a very simple explanation: it could be the result of a typing mistake on my part.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Darn it, Jim, I'm a hymnologist, NOT a theologian!" Who is the real McCoy?
    And Mark, thanks as well for the post Vietnam pyschological prompt, as I'm going to switch out Down ampney for Elvis Costello's "What's wrong with peace, love and understanding" at the Hymn of the Day moment, aka "Preparation of the Gifts," "Procession of Bread and Wine" or for those ambered or cutting edge (how ironic!) the Offertory tomorrow.
  • Kathy
    Or you could use this http://youtu.be/wTmkHOxW2DU
  • CharlesW
    All you need is love.....
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There's nothing you can sing that can't be sung.

By the way, pleading ignorance here, what does "ambered" mean?
  • Perhaps it's sort of like being jaded?
  • chonakchonak
    I assume it means: preserved intact from ancient times, like a fossil.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Gavin
  • Liam
    Fossilized.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    Ambered waves of grain.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • Liam
    Well, that's just whiskey.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • Kathy
    Ahem, returning to the original point of this entire thread...

While not defending the use of the word "fertilizer," which obviously is lacking in the kind of diction necessary for hymns, I was struck by St. Irenaeus' use of the image of water--and even dew--making us fruitful in yesterday's (Pentecost) Patristic reading from the Liturgy of the Hours.

This was why the Lord had promised to send the Advocate: he was to prepare us as an offering to God. Like dry flour, which cannot become one lump of dough, one loaf of broad, without moisture, we who are many could not become one in Christ Jesus without the water that comes down from heaven. And like parched ground, which yields no harvest unless it receives moisture, we who were once like a waterless tree could never have lived and borne fruit without this abundant rainfall from above. Through the baptism that liberates us from change and decay we have become one in body; through the Spirit we have become one in soul... If we are not to be scorched and made unfruitful, we need the dew of God.

How did the old beer commercial go? It's the water--and a lot more.

(Shows her age)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    (Shows her age)

You're not the only one, Kathy:

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,
          From the land of pines' lofty balsams,
          Comes the beer refreshing,
          Hamm's the beer refreshing.

And, of course (wondering if the Pope Emeritus would approve):

What'll you have?
          Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Finally, for all the young'uns out there (brought to you by the Three Tenors Frogs):

Bud
                        wise
                                    err.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    The more I think of it, the more it seems likely to me that Andrew Reed was probably sitting in his study, drinking port, in a smoking jacket, with a lovely fire going, reading just this passage from Irenaeus, when he suddenly decided to write this hymn. Or at least verse 4.