Pentecost Sequence, English Plainchant
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does anyone happen to have already the Pentecost Sequence in English (Come O Holy Spirit Come, and from thy celestial home...) set to the original plainsong melody?

"O Most Blessed Light Divine, shine within these hearts of yours..."
    ARE THESE PEOPLE INSANE?!
    Thanked by 2Chris Hebard Ignoto
  • BenBen
    1) I would assume it's in BFW? Maybe Dr. Ford can post it here, like he occasionally does...
  • Andrew Motyka
    There's a good one up at CC Watershed.
  • Several versions in English (and Latin) that might fit your requirements are here.
    Thanked by 3Ben Adam Wood Ignoto
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard J. Clark's? We're doin' it Sunday with schola.
  • CharlesW
    I am having to do the one in Ritual Song, #981, set to Mode I. The congregation will not have copies, since it is only in the choir hymnals, not the pew hymnals. The music setting in the WLP missalette is a really bad paraphrase. The pastor saw that one and said don't even bother with it.
  • gregpgregp
    "O Most Blessed Light Divine, shine within these hearts of yours..."
    ARE THESE PEOPLE INSANE?!

Yes. Yes, they are. They probably also sing, "My country, tis of you, sweet land of ____"?

You fill it in, poets laureate.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    PoJo: THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

MeloCharl: Love, love, love RJC's version, but I needed plainchant.

gregp: "Mountain Dew."
  • CharlesW
    That settles it. It's the CC Watershed version that we will use. It actually has the correct text!
  • francis
    Liberpoo? At least it has Latin roots!
  • Adam Schwend
    Here are the propers from the Lumen Christi Missal...the sequence is on pages 4 and 5.

http://illuminarepublications.com/downloads/lumen-christi-gradual/pentecost-sunday_mass-during-the-day.pdf
    Thanked by 1Ioannes Andreades
  • Paul F. Ford
    Here is the version from By Flowing Waters.
  • ScottKChicago
    Yes. Yes, they are. They probably also sing, "My country, tis of you, sweet land of ____"?

You fill it in, poets laureate.

My favorite modernization is that of the first line of Charles Wood's choral work, "O Thou, the Central Orb"..."Hey You, the Middle Ball." :)
    Thanked by 3Heath Salieri Spriggo
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Yes. Yes, they are. They probably also sing, "My country, tis of you, sweet land of ____"?
    You fill it in, poets laureate." Mssr.GP

This is a job for......MeloMan, mealier than runny polenta, ....

Sweet land of:
    Mountain Dew (registered trademark)
    Empty suits
    Lash LaRue
    Pricey shoes
    "No can do"
    Poor au jus (spelling?)
    blaming you
    false is true
    red or blue
    fake Kung fu

I can hear the "Catholic Choirbook" whimpering in the loft, "Make him stop, please. Make him stop!" Just for thee, FNJ
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • SalieriSalieri
    Noel, I think it's time to move him again!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Hi, I am new to MusicaSacra. A friend suggested this forum to me. I'm new to Catholic Music. I am a convert of four years. Grew up in church music in a protestant church, and have been a church pianist before. I am currently playing for the second mass in a mission. My exposure since coming to the Church has been primarily mostly contemporary music. My musical point of view is traditional, and I do have a lot to learn. I read and study a lot to catch up. I have been trying to blend traditional with some of the contemporary to assist the choir/congregation in moving towards more traditional form of music.

I started practicing the Sequence in the Breaking Bread in February with another soprano voice. Following a pattern of what I had heard before, I was planning having the congregation respond "Veni Sancte Spiritus" after each of two verses (cantor/response style).

I also prepared a missalette insert that has an appropriate black/white drawing of the apostles and Mary in the upper room with the descent of the Holy Spirit (traditional drawing rather than modern). On the inside of the insert are the verses to the Sequence with marked places for the congregational response.

The reason I prepared the folded insert is that the Breaking Bread Sequence makes it hard to follow the verses. Also, it was my thinking that the words are lovely, and it would be helpful for the congregation to be able to follow along as we sing? (Would love to sing it in Latin instead of English -- but that is the plan for NEXT year).

So what do you think?
  • Ignoto
    Darla, I defer to others' opinions, but the pattern you mention of having a Veni Sancte Spiritus refrain sounds similar to what we will be doing (Alstott's ODE TO JOY setting of Come O Holy Spirit, Come--that similarly contains a recurring phrase).

The CCWatershed version that was mentioned is the best presentation I've seen for the English plainchant version! Having it all written out without repeats is really helpful.

As for the idea of "the correct text," however, the origin of this sequence is extremely confusing to me.

1) Many sources, including the CCW version, cite Edward Caswall as the translator, giving the source as Lyra Catholica, 1849, p. 234. But when I go to the Google Book digitized version of the 1849 Lyra Catholica, the first line is "Holy Spirit, Lord of Light," (which is also the first line of the BFW version that was posted):

http://books.google.com/books?id=RykPAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA234

It's the same way in the 1851 version of Lyra Catholica.

2) I found some information in the Dictionary of Hymnology (John Julian, ed.) that says on page 1214:

4) Holy Spirit, Lord of Light. By E. Caswall, in his Lyra Catholica, 1849, p. 234, and his Hymns and Poems, 1873, p. 123. It is found in several hymn-books in its full and unaltered form, and also altered and abridged as: --

1) Come, Thou Holy Spirit, come. This arrangement was given in the trial ed. of H. A. & M., 1859, and again in the 1st ed., 1861. The numerous alterations therein are added to in the revised ed. of 1875.

3) The Hymns Ancient and Modern 1861 edition is edited by Wm. Henry Monk. http://books.google.com/books?id=sJM9AAAAcAAJ&dq=hymns, ancient and modern&pg=PA128-IA1

If "the correct text" refers to what is in the current Lectionary, I think that is copyright 1964 USCCB (or the 1960s equivalent)? But that text looks pretty much the same to me as the Caswall/Monk 1861 version, save the modernized pronouns that disrupted the poetry. Perhaps I wasn't comparing the texts closely enough, however. Any clarification would be appreciated. And does anyone know when the you/your change was made? I heard 1998 but so far have been unable to verify that.