New Hymnal
  • The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will soon debut its new hymnal, entitled “Glory to God.” The chair of the hymnal editorial committee, Mary Louise Bringle, has written an article explaining some of the issues faced by the committee. The article is somewhat lengthy, but those who are “into” hymnals might find it interesting, as some (though admittedly, not all) of the issues are faced by editors of Catholic hymnals as well:

http://www.christiancentury.org/article/2013-04/debating-hymns

A second article by the same author deals more with hymnals in general:

http://www.christiancentury.org/article/2013-04/singing-one-book

It is also interesting to read the comments at the end of the articles, mainly from non-Catholics, as some of the views expressed echo similar reactions to editorial decisions made for Catholic hymnals! So, it’s not just here at the CMAA forum that people have strong opinions about hymns and hymnals!

I really respect the comment Bringle made about the hymnal committee when she says: “We will inevitably have made some wrong decisions as a hymnal committee; but to the best of my knowledge we made no careless or cavalier ones.”
  • CharlesW
    I knew someone on a Protestant hymnal committee some years ago. He said the best way to make enemies for life was to be on a hymnal committee. He also said that the inclusion of hymns that some would question, came down to politics. One member might have a favorite hymn, while another member had a different one. It became a case of, "I will support your hymn if you support mine." I think political correctness enters in entirely too much these days, with so-called inclusive texts. I chalk it up to the nuttiness of our times.

I have a copy of the Presbyterian 1990 hymnal. It's not bad as hymnals go. The older Episcopal hymnals were also very good. The problem with some Catholic hymnals, is that they were never much good to begin with. It is not so hard to improve on something that was inferior from the start. Since Catholics don't have a denominational publishing house, we are sometimes at the mercy of competing publishers with their own agendas. That could be either good or bad, depending on the quality of the product.
  • hartleymartin
    The problem with too many hymn committees is that they start with "what do people like/what do we like?" rather than "what is liturgically appropriate."

In my opinion, hymns should pertain to certain liturgical seasons and occasions. Here are 10 hymn, and why I keep them in my gig folder.

egs:

1.) Gabriel's Message - "The Angel Gabriel from heaven came"
    - Annunciation March 25th
    - Advent Carols
    - Advent IV (Gospel Year B in particular)
    - Feast of the Angels (at a pinch)

2.) Firmly I Believe and Truly
    - Trinity Sunday
    - Ad Libitum for Divine Office

3.) Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
    - General Communion Hymn
    - Adoration Hymn
    - Offertory on Feast Sts Philip and James
    (Has origins as offertory hymn in the Liturgy of St James - yes the same James!)

4.) Anima Christi/Soul of My Saviour
    - Thanksgiving hymn (following Communion Chant)
    - Corpus Christ (moved to following Sunday in many places)

5.) All People That On Earth Do Dwell (Old Hundreth)
    - Ad Libitum Lauds Hymn
    - Thematically appropriate to replace introit on Laetare/Gaudete Sundays.

6.) Holy God We Praise Thy Name
    - Adaption of Te Deum
    - Suitable as a recessional on Feasts and celebratory occasions.

7.) By All Your Saints Still Striving
    - Has various additional verses for various Saint's Days
    - Solemnity of All Saints
    - Also useful as a general hymn of praise
    (makes excellent references to communion of saints)

8.) Abide With Me
    - Night Prayer Hymn
    - Appropriate for Requiem/Funeral

9.) Lord Jesus, Think on Me
    - Seasonal Hymn for Lent
    - Useful also for Reconciliation

10.) Hail Queen of Heaven
    - Solemnities and Feasts of the Blessed Virgin Mary
    - Advent IV
    - Recessional
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Denominations and national churches (and so forth) shouldn't publish official hymnals. Though often derided, I consider it a good thing that the USCCB/ICEL/whoever has never published an official hymnal, leaving it to the market to do so.
    Thanked by 2Salieri jpal
  • SalieriSalieri
    Yes, because we'd be at the mercy of the same USCCB/ICEL/whoever, whose ideas about good hymnody will change every time new people are elected to said committee.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood