Verbum Domini dialogue
  • G
    I had a bit of a shock.
    I off-handedly mentioned to my pastor that since it CLEARLY solemnized the Liturgy to have him chant the preface dialogue at Midnight Mass, and the participation was so strong, maybe we could go a little further with THAT music of the Mass, maybe he could chant "the Lord be with you..." (he looked dubious,) or the dialogues after the scripture readings, (he grimaced,) in English, (he visibly relaxed," and only for "big" Masses, (he looked thoughtful.)
    "When?"
    Well, maybe the Paschal Triduum and Pentecost?
    "Okay, remind me of it when we get closer."

I have only heard it done with a falling 5th, so I am assuming that is the "correct" way?
    Where is it "officially" notated? Somewhere in the Sacramentary?
    And, here's the real sticking point, does it absolutely HAVE to be done my the person who did the reading, or could a cantor initiate it?

Any help appreciated.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Cantor
    Dear G,

These are notated in the Sacramentary/Missal.
  • priorstf
    The tones for the Ordinary are also found in the Graduale Romanum (page 803). There are two "Verbum Domini" tones, one falling a fifth and the other falling a third, respectively for the first and second readings. You can also find these in Jubilate Deo (page 12) at http://www.ceciliaschola.org/notes/jubilatedeo.html.

When we were still doing the Latin NO they were sung by the lectors who demonstrated bravery under fire by doing so. I can't say it's required but I've not seen it done otherwise. The annotation merely calls for this after the readings. In comparison, at the cathedral the intercessions are a team effort with the lector reciting the petitions and the cantor singing "Let us pray to the Lord."
  • Jscola30
    I have seen the verbum domini done by cantors and not the lector, in all places, St. Peter's Basilica. Here's a thought, could one of the schola memebers read that day?
  • We've done it both ways... we have two tenors who have done the readings and sung the Verbum Domini on occasion. We've also had the cantor stand ready to sing the "verbum Domini" after a regular lector has done the reading. We did find that timing is crucial... if the cantor isn't ready to sing immediately... the lector tends to get nervous and just say the words and not wait for the cantor... :)