May Processions and Crownings of the Virgin
  • kevinfkevinf
    Greetings all,

Having just finished a May procession, I am curious as to what any of you might do. Ours is a school function, so kids do all the work.
    We sing the Regina Caeli and chant the Magnificat, but also sing some real schmaltz (Bring Flowers of the Rarest and Immaculate Mary).

What are other experiences

From the bourbon lands...
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Alright, I confess: I love the old-fashioned May Crowning hymns myself. I know they're sentimental and a bit schlocky but nothing beats them for a May Crowning with little girls and baskets of flowers and the whole nine yards.

There are so many lovely memories wound around them from my own childhood and my children's that I almost feel obligated to continue the tradition.

At our Latin Mass we sang Bring Flowers of the Rarest after the Last Gospel as our three First Communicants brought flowers to Our Lady's statue, and then Father processed out the door to a rousing rendition of Hail Holy Queen with SATB choir. Good stuff.
  • We did the May Crowning this past Sunday after the Homily at the 10:00 AM Missa Cantata. During the Crowning the Choir sang the "Ave Maria" a 4 now thought to be by Gallus, once attributed erroneously to de Victoria. Otherwise, all music was of the Mass of Easter VI.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We flanked Wendy's solo (one verse only) of "Bring flowers..." by preceding it with Dufay AVE REGINA CAELORUM and Arcadelt (arr. Jones?) AVE MARIA @dismissal. Nice to use the AM as a "recessional," as the exiting hordes at least stopped their yapping.
  • Marc Cerisier
    We do ours straight from the rite--the version in the context of a liturgy of the word. We do the 7-verse version of Immaculate Mary for the entrance procession, use the Chepponis Magnificat as the response to the first reading, the mode 6 alleluia for the Gospel acclamation, sing Hail, Holy Queen at the actual crowning, sing the litany and have an instrumental recessional. No sentimental or trite music. Works well.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • jpal
    Very low-key. Second graders, having received their first communion on Saturday, brought flowers to the Blessed Virgin just before the 10:45 Mass on Sunday, accompanied by an organ improvisation on Salve Regina. If they want more next year, I hope they tell me earlier than five minutes before it happens...
  • We have a semi-big deal, I suppose. The school children (2nd-graders in First Communion clothes) process in with flowers for Mary prior to Mass (while I improvise a processional-like thing) and when all the lower grades are assembled and the 8th-graders are ready to process in with the chosen May queen, we all sing "Bring Flow'rs of the Fairest (rarest?)" until Mary is crowned by said queen. Then we proceed immediately with Mass. Easter readings and Easter hymns.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Marc, out of curiosity, which rite? I know that the CDW issued a document in the late 80'scalling for the devotion, but am unawares of a formal ritual that occurs within the framework of Mass?
    And no one ever mentions the May Crowning to me personally, but I figure first Sunday in May I'm going to see Catholic Daughters in robes at a morning Mass and plan something like I mentioned above.
    Talk about not being told stuff, I just yesterday learned we have a fourth confirmation on May 18. No one thought to let music ministry know. Nice.
  • kevinfkevinf
    In the Masses for the Blessed Virgin, there is a rite of crowning, within and outside of Mass. Its a blue book (it really is.).
    Thanked by 2melofluent JulieColl
  • SalieriSalieri
    MeloCharles: "Does this shock You?"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not at all, I asked in all honesty. I'm glad to know the answer thanks to Kevin.
    Of course, friend Salieri, if your question concerned the confirmation cross wire, no that doesn't shock Me either, sad to say.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    There is an Order for the Crowning of an Image of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It can be done within Mass, within a Celebration of the Word of God, or within Vespers. I think, strictly speaking, it is meant for miraculous images or images that have a great devotion. The local bishop is the celebrant. It's also got an appendix full of chants. We've used it at our little parish, though.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Chrism
    One could try singing this Cantiga "Welcome to the Month of May" by Alfonso X the Wise, but I'm not sure how well it would be received:

Cantiga 406: Benvennas mayo by Joel Cohen & Camerata Mediterranea on Grooveshark
  • The May crowning at my little parish has always been a rather big deal and the school children always look forward to it. It used to occur outside after mass. The priest would lead the procession followed by altar servers, a thurifer and second grade children in their First Communion clothes. During the procession we would all say the rosary. Once the procession reached the status of Our Lady, the hymns would start ("Bring flowers of the rarest", Immaculate Mary, Hail Holy Queen, On This Day, etc.). When the new pastor took over, the crowning was moved to inside the church and done immediately after the homily at the children's mass, but it still involved all the school children bringing their gifts of flowers to the Virgin and the First Communion children in their finery. It's always a special time. This year I also included several chants while the children were setting their flowers at the Marian altar.....Ave Maria, Regina Caeli and Salve Regina.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There is an order for crowning published by the USCCB copyright 1987. I scanned the pertinent pages for crowning within Mass, which is what we follow with our school liturgy.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    That's the Order of which I was speaking. The Latin edition has all the chants.