Extraordinary Form Vespers
  • I'm sure it's right under my nose, but can anyone direct me to a guide for singing EF Vespers 1 for the evening before All Saint's Day? I'm specifically looking for a format that has the psalms written out in chant notation so the choir will have an easy time singing them from a handout. Many thanks!
  • I have never seen a format with the psalms written out in notation- chant or otherwise. The psalms found in the Liber Usualis of course are pointed (bolded, italicized, etc.) and are very easy to sing once one knows the psalm tone (the first verse or two is always written out in chant notation, then the text follows). I would be happy to be proved wrong for your sake! I really hope you find what you are looking for. By the way, you deserve high praise for singing Vespers in your parish!
  • lautzef
    I haven't ever seen the psalms totally written out either. We aren't singing vespers regularly any more, but over the 25 or so years when we did, I made up cut-and-paste sheets for each Sunday and most of the big feast days. All of the little bits were in there, so people could just sing right off the page without all that page turning and fumbling (there's a lot of that if you are not used to it), but the psalms were just out of the Liber. Do you want me to see whether I did a set for 1st vespers of All Saints when I get home from work? Give me your email address and I can let you know tomorrow.
  • Your choir simply must learn to read the pointing. It allows for a more natural means of singing the psalms with more focus on the text. I have a First Vespers for All Saints that I compiled in which I Photoshopped in all the proper endings to the psalm tones and laid everything out for my schola. The forum won't allow me to attach it, though. Too big, I guess. Contact me at moconnor09 at gmail dot com.
  • Mark P.
    Wow Richard! This is very impressive.
  • ... despite my relatively primitive (and apparently passe) chant engraving method? I appreciate the feedback, Mark. Please look for errors, when you get a chance.
  • Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I figured a cut-and-paste program would be the way to go but I wanted to see what was out there. Richard your pdf is a wonder. Many thanks. May I have your permission to print it off and distribute it at my parish?
  • Certainly, David. Let me know if you need a different format.
  • RobertRobert
    Richard, you are the master of the Meinrad font! It will never be passe as long as you're showing us all what it's capable of.
  • I appreciate that, Robert.
  • Richard, your work is certainly more elegant than mine. I can't imagine how long that took, having some experience with that font. My version is simply downloading the relevant pages from the Liber and Photoshopping in the proper endings for the first verse of the psalm. It's a bit quicker and once I have all the Gloria Patris and such saved, it's just a matter of selecting files. Now when I had to do a ferial Vespers for a conference, I did go to the Festa Dies font and had to figure out the psalm tone formulas. All in the service of the Traditional Roman Office!
  • Michael was kind enough to send me an email with his Vespers attached and it too is excellent; the antiphons and pointed psalm texts are easy to read and the format is very clear. I never thought of photoshopping to get the right psalm endings. This is better than downloading Liber pages and cutting and pasting at the copy machine. Thanks again to all. Anything we can do to promote community singing of the Liturgy of the Hours is a great service to the church in my book.
  • Along with the cut and paste in PS I also liberally use the white paintbrush to make things look as if they had been printed that way. Good luck David. Wish I could be there to sing with you. Stay on top of your singers. My guess is that they won't even look at the notes of the psalm tone after the second verse. All you need is the syllables to change pitch, usually at the cadence.
  • unfatmatt
    Does anyone have EF vespers? I looked at the LU, but there are no psalm tones included. I've never sung EF vespers before so I can use all the help I can get.
  • MarkThompson
    I looked at the LU, but there are no psalm tones included.

You should find them in the section headed "The Ordinary Chants of the Office."
  • unfatmatt
    Can you have EF vespers (or OF vespers) led by a lay person?

Basically, here's my ordeal. Someone asked me to lead EF vespers, which I have never done before. I haven't even attended EF vespers. I don't even know where to start or what to do. Any ideas?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Yes vespers (EF or OF) can be led by a layperson; the dialogues "Dominus vobsicum/Et cum spiritu tuo" are replace with "Domine exaudi orationem meam/Et clamor meus ad te veniat". Everything else remains the same. In the OF there is a different 'blessing' that takes the place of the sacerdotal blessing ("May almighty God...").
  • MarkThompson
    I don't even know where to start or what to do. Any ideas?

Yes: do them by yourself in the privacy of your own home as many times as possible before trying to lead other people in them. You can use DivinumOfficium.com to see the order of service. At the bottom of the page, select "All," "Rubrics 1960," "regular," and "English," then click "Vesperae" above. Then get very familiar with the index to your LU.
  • unfatmatt
    DivinumOfficium.com does not include music with the text. I'm looking to do sung vespers.
  • MarkThompson
    Right, that's why you also need your LU. I don't think there's any source (yet!) that will give you all the texts of the day, in order, laid out with the music. (That would be a fun project for somebody so inclined.) You get the order from DivinumOfficium and then will have to find the corresponding music in your Liber. That will take a lot of hunting around, at least until you get used to the book -- which is why I suggest getting used to it in advance.
  • Bumping this up to see if the document mentioned here is still available and/or if other sources have become available in the last couple of years. I'm very interested in written out versions of the Sunday Vespers psalms for Lent (EF) and Maundy Thursday Tenebrae.
  • asbloomf.github.io