Schema for Baptismal rite (EF)
  • First of all, my appologies if this is not in the right category, but it seemed to me the closest option.

We are currently in the process of "planning" a traditional Baptism. As the rite allows for the inclusion of hymns/psalms, we have come up with this little schema. Naturally, as this is our first time, we would like some feedback for our choice:

1 - Before rite starts: Psalm 8 or Psalm 27(26)
    2 - Procession to the baptistry: Si consurrexistis cum Christo
    3 - At the baptistry gate: Psalm 100 (99)
    4 - Apostle's Creed & Pater Noster
    5 - Before the Renunciation of Satan [based on its position in the Easter Vigil Mass]: abbreviated form of Litany of the Saints
    6 - At the end of the rite: Omnes qui in Christo

• MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1Ora_et_Labora
  • Protasius
    The Baptism of an Adult has antiphons and psalms to be recited at specific places (cf. the Rituale); I haven't thus far been successful in finding the music for them however (I'll write an e-Mail to the ICK, they solemnly baptised an Adult a few years ago).
  • MHIMHI
  • As pertains to antiphons for the psalms I mentioned in the schema, are there prescribed antiphons or can one "adapt" scripture verses to that effect?
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • Thanks.
    I was looking through my missal just now, at the Easter Vigil Mass, and saw that it also provides antiphons for the psalms sung during the Vigil. So, there's actually a very wide range of antiphons to chose from :-)
  • Protasius
    The antiphon Effundam super vos can be found here: http://laudatedominum.net/files/freddofrog.pdf on page 20.
    Thanked by 2Ora_et_Labora MHI
  • In the end, here's how the schema turned out:

- Before the begining of the ceremonies, at the church door - Psalm 8 [Domine, Dominus noster, quam admirabile est] w/ antiphon Vitricem manum tuam
    - Before entering the church - Psalm 105 [Confitemini Domino] up to verse 4 with antiphon Si consurrexisti cum Christo
    - While processing to the baptistry - Symbolum Apostolorum & Pater Noster
    - Before priest cleanses the senses with saliva - Lutum fecit
    - Before Renunciation - Abbreviated form of Litany of the Saints up to Propitius esto
    - After Renunciation - Rest of the Litany starting from Propitius esto
    - Before the Profession of Faith - Psalm 100 [Jubilate Deo, omnis terra] with antiphon Venite, benidicte Patris mei
    - Before the Baptism - Cum santificatus fuero
    - After the farewell - Psalm 105 [Confitemini Domino] verses 5 to 10 with antiphon Omnes qui in Christo