Choir Directors: celebrate our CMAA composers by singing their works!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    To me, whenever Chuck Giffen, Richard Rice, Peter Kwasniewski, Michael Olbash, Noel Jones, Francis Koerber, Heath Morber et al address this forum, I react as if in the old E.F. Hutton commercials, I stop everything and listen!
    I don't know if anyone here took notice of Richard's two offerings for Corpus Christi post, or Chuck's revised Ave Maria, but my response is that when they take the time and generously present us with a new work or two, those pieces go to the top of my "To Rehearse" stack.
    Richard's arrangement of this totally off-the-grid Belgiun composer Guigot's O Salutaris is elegant, yet so accessible. I'm looking at the score noticing unabated parallel fourths and trying to hear their encouchment in my head; nope, gotta sing it! And wow. And Chuck's "Ave" for S/AT/B also has both traditional and exotic traits woven beautifully that doesn't require ringers to negotiate.
    Thank you, ladies and gentlemen composers of CMAA. You honor our choirs out in the hinterlands, who then in turn honor Him.
  • BenBen
    There's so many great things coming from this forum. My best friend and I recently sang Giffen's ave maria for an exhibition, and we will for the spring graduation Mass as well. And my pariah is using one of Aristotle Esguerra's Masses as well, which I believe was harmonized by prof Kwasniewski.

So many fantastic things going on here.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And my pariah is using one of Aristotle Esguerra's Masses as well

Does this person sit way back in the pews, Ben? And how did you ostracize him/her? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • BenBen
    I hate phone keyboards ;)
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Amen and AMEN!!!
  • CharlesW
    As it is written, so let it be done! Amen, alleluia!

I use many of the works available here. This place and CPDL account for at least half of the music I do.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Heath
    As always, I'm flattered to be included in Melofluent's list o' fine composers.

What we need here, however: a repository on this site where all the new works can be easily found, ideally by liturgical year/function. Chonak, can we make this happen? There is soooo much good stuff hidden in this forum from years past that I think many would use if it was easier to find.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey lmassery
  • chonakchonak
  • Heath
    Well . . . yeah, apart from that. Sometimes someone will post a nice composition of theirs, but it's 36 comments down in a random thread about whether or not the banjo is a liturgical instrument.

I'd still love to see my "liturgical cpdl" idea come to fruition . . . but I understand that it's unlikely.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/646/x&page=1#Item_26

But Richard, I'll not complain any further . . . this forum that you've set up and maintained is a blessing to all of us. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1fp
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Let me add that I, too, am flattered by MeloCharlie's kind words and inclusion of my name in his list. But mainly this post concerns Heath's seeking a CMAA repository for works by CMAA composers that heretofore have usually just been posted here at the forum.

It occurs to me that perhaps CPDL would be a good repository for such works. Thanks so Richard Mix and others working on the cataloging aspects of maintaining CPDL's ChoralWiki, things can be tracked down fairly easily for such things as sacred music season, even individual days on the liturgical calendar, and for liturgical use.

The only downside is that one has to be careful about stating some sort of copyright status when submitting works to CPDL. CPDL has its own form of license that permits essentially any use whatsoever, although some restrictions can be added (such as for nonprofit use), and CPDL is comfortable with the Creative Commons copyrights that are not restrictive.

CPDL won't just take an uploaded PDF and make it available without some sort of assertion about copyright status or license. But otherwise, it's a good place to put new works that you don't mind being freely available (at least for nonprofit purposes).

With that caveat, I think it's worth considering. It's even possible, I'm sure, to have submissions be designated as part of a CMAA collection. And with Richard's help and thoughts about it, I'm sure we could work something out in terms of sensible cataloging.

Chuck Giffen
    President of CPDL and
    Manager of ChoralWiki
  • Heath
    Thanks, Chuck.

Only concerns:

1) There's a family atmosphere around here that obviously can't be replicated over at cpdl. Folks feel safe to post compositions, with their numerous disclaimers (guilty), and know that they won't be belittled and that they may frequently be encouraged for their efforts. A different set-up may change some of that, I guess, but knowing that friends and colleagues are the ones perusing your work and may perform it, feels better than just letting your baby loose into the juggernaut that is cpdl.

2) I tried to download a score onto cpdl a few years ago and it was a real hassle . . . and it never got up in the end. Easier now I hope?

(BTW, I love cpdl. Just want to make that clear.)

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thank you, too, Heath.

1) I appreciate the family atmosphere around here as much as anyone, I think, and it was never my thought that CPDL ... as a repository (think library) ... would be a replacement for posting scores here in the forums. The point of my suggestion and what I perceive to be the request for a repository is to have a central place where one can find scores easily, without having to search through the thousands of threads here at the forums. In fact, just about anything I post here (in final form, that is) is something that I also post at CPDL. Posting a score here gives opportunity for pretty much immediate feedback from colleagues. Depositing that score at CPDL makes it readily accessible in the future to the musician looking for a particular composer's scores, or looking for a particular title, or looking for scores for a particular feast, etc. ... all thanks to the excellent categorization and search facilities at CPDL.

2) The hassle when you tried to post to CPDL a few years ago is probably greatly ameliorated now. The five years since CPDL reorganized has seen a tremendous growth in score submissions, help facilities, and simplified self-posting process (although one can still ask an administrator for help in submission, or fill out the necessary AddWorks form and wait for a volunteer to do the posting for oneself, although that may entail some wait). It is much easier, yes.

This does not absolve the poster to CPDL of some responsibility, however, especially as regards copyright (works posted must be freely deemed freely available, at least for nonprofit purpose). And, yes, it's a little more complicated than just clicking on Browse and then Upload here at the forum. BUT ... in return for getting a considerable amount of organization and ready availability, does one really expect it to be as simple as that?

I suppose that composers/arrangers/musicians here at the forum who don't want to engage in the extra hassle won't want to post at CPDL, even with help from myself and Richard Mix and others here who have posted works at CPDL (you'll still have to upload the files and fill out the AddWorks form, or get someone to do it for you, although you'll have to supply the information requested). That's always ones legitimate right. But noncontributers will not find their works cataloged at CPDL and available for immediate download there.

Remember, I pointed out that it could even be possible for contributors of scores to designate them as part of a CMAA collection. Although such feature would not be implemented unless CMAA wants a CMAA repository at CPDL, it would probably be as simple as putting something like
    {{cat|CMAA}}
    in the Edition Notes field of the submission.

Finally, don't forget that there would be NO FINANCIAL COST to the CMAA for this service. For its part, CPDL is quite content to provide a place for such collections, because CPDL views itself as a service for providing ready access to public domain and other free choral music, as well as significant cataloging, search, and other amenities associated with such a library. And, for my part, I'm here to help facilitate making a CMAA repository at CPDL a possiblity.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know that most people are not using text-based music editors (Lilypond, Gregorio), but for those of you who are, or who have the ability to export into a text-based format (MusicXML), I've set up a CMAA GitHub account.

https://github.com/CMAA

It currently has no repositories, and I will be making a larger "announcement" with explanations about what it could be used for and how (for those of you saying... "what's a github?"), but I thought I'd go ahead and mention it here.
  • Heath
    Thanks, Chuck, for the detailed response. Maybe I'll try posting that same piece that I tried five years ago! : )
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    If you're building up a database, might I humbly request that composers put their things into pdf format? Some of us are not as computer literate as others...for example I still can't figure out how to get the finale reader to download without freezing up my ancient computer.