Colloquium workshop: Leading and energizing volunteers
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've been talking with Arlene, and am planning to lead a workshop at the Colloquium around best practices in leading an enthusiastic choir of volunteers. I know that many of us are choir or schola directors, and sometimes we're challenged to create the kind of environment which attracts and keeps the people who want to make great contributions.

I'm planning to lead a relatively unstructured sharing of best practices on this topic, scheduled over dinner on Wednesday June 19th. We all have something to share, and something to learn!

But first, I'm hoping to gauge the level of interest for this topic. Is this something that you would find useful?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My lecture last year was full of such discussion, so much so that I had to cut off the discussion to have enough time to rush through the remaining points in my paper. I think you'd find lots of folks who would love to talk about it, and it would be helpful if I could mention that such a discussion would be taking place to keep my lecture on point Wednesday morning. However, you may have to be a careful moderator to keep things from turning into Horror Stories from the Loft.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I agree, MJ, that's the challenge. We all have horror stories, I suppose, but people want to hear about what WORKS, and be inspired to become a better leader.
  • I just hope somebody will kindly post the "proceedings" of this conference here afterward, or on the Café.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'd be glad to do that!
  • YMMVBach
    I will join. Thanks!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I want to thank the 42 (!!) people who made this a fun, energetic, and useful discussion tonight. Believe me, you are helping not only yourselves, but the next generation of leaders who will follow us.

And many thanks to Arlene for helping pull this together at the last minute. My apologies for pulling this on you; I promise to do better next year.

I will attempt to type in the notes and publish them, probably next week. Send me an email if you would like a copy: carl@dierschow.com.
    Thanked by 1Hilary Cesare