Silly Wabbit, "Tenure's not for kids!" How long, O Lord?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    FNJ's maxim:
    You'll be excited/depressed to know that the average RC choir director/director of music who is hired to reform the music lasts 4 years, though certain situations rapidly fizzle and fall apart quicker and some, like Dr. Mahrt stay together for years.

Out of curiosity, longest tenure at one place and when?

Salamunovich- since Trent was convened at St. Charles Borromeo, Hollywood, five centuries and counting.
    Mahrt, I'm guessing 45 in Palo Alto.
    Me- 21 years, current joint in CenCA.
    You?
  • TCJ
    2 years (out of my four years altogether) is the longest I've been anywhere so far. The unexpected change of pastor cut that way shorter than I had anticipated.
  • CharlesW
    Twelve years in my current position. Five in the last Protestant church where I worked.
  • canadashcanadash
    Ten years! And this is my first "choir" job! :)
  • I know an organist who has been serving the same Parish for 65 years.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Jani
    15 years, 1 month. OTJ training ;-)
  • At Temple Church in London, where John Stanley had been organist, George Thalben-Ball, a brilliant young organist at the Royal College, was offered the post as Acting Organist under Davies. It was 6th March 1919 and, at the age of twenty-three, the beloved ‘Doctor’, as G.T.B. later also became known, was secured for the Temple where he was to serve for sixty-two distinguished years.
  • My organ teacher is serving my parish since it was built in 1955. In the first years there wasn't even an organ but a pedal harmonium.
  • SalieriSalieri
    One of my Predecessors (Stanley L. Sojka) served the parish for 59 years - from 1921 thru 1980.

I have been Director of Music for 6 years, and sub-organist for 3 years before that.
  • I was at my first parish for 13 years.

I've been at my current parish for 5 months, and even though things are going very well, I just got the news yesterday that the parish cannot sustain itself with the current demographic/population/ethnic mix. The inheritance that's been underwriting the red ink will be gone in two years and the parish may be closed.

Our contracts are up Jan. 31, 2013 and starting next week, Father will stop using the church during week so he doesn't have to turn on the heat. Daily mass will be in a classroom. :(

My question? Why does the archdiocese continue to collect a "tax" from such parishes? If the 60 K that the Cardinal bills the parish for every year was wiped away or at least reduced, the parish might recover (from 15 years of neglect by the Archdiocese). We'd be breaking even! The Archdiocese is forcing this parish into debt - and when it closes, who will be there to pick up the pieces of a congregation that has lost it's spiritual home?

Am I ranting? No. Just very sad. We have such a nice music program in a lovely church - where the congregation is treated to violin/viola at every mass. The church has the best acoustics of anywhere I've every worked (except the Crypt church at the National Shrine). More people are starting to come every week. Last week, the church was actually crowded. We just need more time. I have four young students working for me for peanuts...and they pray every mass while they are working. They are so beautiful and I'm so sad to lose this. (But, I'm not going without a fight. FYI...time to look under rocks for some spare change.... )
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    More people are starting to come every week. Last week, the church was actually crowded. We just need more time.

And some transparency with the congregation so they know they need to cough up.

(not saying it applies here, but...)
    Typical church logic goes like:
    1. Never talk about money or sacrifice or tithing.
    2. Provide no clear information the cost of doing business and the management of funds.
    3. Complain when people don't know that running a church costs money and think that the Catholic Church is "rich."
  • This is my second time at the same parish. First stint was 7 years, and 6 years into this stint. In between was 6 years at an Episcopal church while working on my graduate degree.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I see those guitars in the corner, CC. You got versatitlity!
  • marajoymarajoy
    How long? 1 year, 5 years, now going on 8 months. Gosh, I am such a Gen X-er....
  • In my 42nd year on the same organ bench.
  • Wow! Joseph. Impressive.

Adam - yes, you are right. The last Pastor never spoke about money and left a mess. The current Pastor -brought in to try to save the Parish - but is a one-man band. And is doing a great job. After only being there for 1 1/2 years - just did a beautiful job with an outreach - envelopes given out during his homily - Gospel was, coincidentally, the poor widow giving her last penny. He also explained that the parish is in trouble, asked gently but directly, revamped all the masses to attract more people with $$$$ and that's why he brought me in. It's going so well....except for the "filthy lucre."

Well, didn't mean to derail the thread. Hopefully, I can say I've been there for a year in July 2013. Prayers gratefully accepted. ;) thank you!
  • I believe that Widor was a "temporary" employee throughout his >60 years as organist at Saint-Sulpice.
  • @R J Stove - you are correct. I did a research paper on Widor in college and mentioned that in my writing.
  • TeresaH
    22 years, 12 of them paid.
  • dad29
    20 years in first paid assignment, (hiatus), 10 years in next one, (hiatus), 5 years (same as #2 assignment), (hiatus), 5 years in current. Working on irascibility to reduce length of assignments.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • 2 years in my current parish, but pianist for 6 years prior to that at same parish.
  • In my 8th year currently at my first parish out of college.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Spriggo
    24 years at the same place.
    Thanked by 1melofluent