Tucker v. Flowerday
  • Todd Flowerday of Catholic Sensibility and I will be debating/discussing issues of music and liturgy Saturday (11am Eastern) on Blog Talk Radio with Commander Craig. You can listen in.

We've done this once before and really enjoyed talking, musician to musician. We come from different perspectives--you can use whatever terms you want, because they are all inaccurate. Essentially he is more friendly to the postconciliar reform reality than I am. My longings are clearly different from his, and we have different strategies.

However, when we talked last time, we found also that we have lots in common on all practical issues of what we are going to program this week. We have limits in terms of singers and rehearsal time, pastors to deal with, people with their expectations, and many other issues, along with the conviction that we must adhere as closely as possible to the letter and spirit of the documents--however we interpret those terms. We both desire to serve.

I really look forward to this. He is an honest debater and is far more learned theologically than I am, so I am sure that I will learn something.

• GavinGavin
    Let's have him weigh in on whether one can do the sequence in the OF Requiem.
  • Essentially he is more friendly to the postconciliar reform reality than I am.

Jeffrey,

(to quote a line from one of my favorite episodes of "Cadfael"):

"You, brother, are well-schooled in understatement."
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    David Andrew,

May I please ask a huge favor? Can you please E-mail me?

jeff@ostrowski.cc
  • G
    That's a relief! the thread title had me suspecting something like that clay-mation Celebrity Death-Match was about to ensue ...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • I was wondering the same thing, G. How many rounds will they go? Is Vegas laying odds yet?
  • chonakchonak
    "[Todd] is an honest debater..."
    "Jeffrey is an honorable and professional colleague."

Why do I feel as if I were hearing John McCain start a response with "My friend ...."
  • Jeff Ostrowski,

I sent you an e-mail, wanted to make sure you got it.

BTW, my e-mail address appears on the member list.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    David,

I apologize. I am responding this instant. You should receive my E-mail in the next 5 minutes. THANKS!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    OK, David, it is sent.
  • Hope you listened! It was a fun and interesting discussion. We talked about music trends, Summorum, translations, problems in Church music, challenges musicians face, and much more. The hour flew by.
  • francis
    Is it possible to get an mp3 or hear this somewhere on the web?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Yes. Go to the "commander craig" link that Jeffrey provided on his first post, above. Look for the show (it's the most recent one... the second great liturgical debate) and click either 'play' or 'download.'
  • francis
    duh! i shoulda read more carefully. thnx, mark.
  • I listened live. Here's the rundown from my POV-
    Jeffrey and Todd represent charity and respect as much as their respective interpretations of principles. Would that we all could conduct our differences as well as similarities with such courtesy.
    One hour is drastically insufficient if you want to debate macro topics.
    Craig, with respect to his bailywick, wastes far too much time setting up topics; He really should presume that folks tuning into such an internet program are fairly attuned and knowledgeable. This isn't EWTN taking calls from all comers.
    He doesn't need to summarize (as he did for the first fiftenn minutes) the history, ramifications and updates of SumPon. for this audience.
    What I miss that is provided in Craig's forum is a live chat room. Back, back, back in the old AOL and even NPM days there was serious discourse in real time. Trouble is, nutjobs can log in and logjam the discussion.
    I really appreciate the acknowledgement that the major impediment to most aspects of reform2, whether OF/EF oriented, is the two-pronged apathy and disaffection by both priests and the faithful. I am officially, as of today, disillusioned and disheartened; similar to the attitudes expressed by others here and in the blogs elsewhere of late.
    I cannot "don't worry, be happy" when my vision of Catholic worship that I believe is aligned with that of the universal Church, its documents and the Magisterium is so far from what is proffered deliberately or benignly by my priests and deacons and purposefully emulates the lack of decorum of evangelical Protestantism.
    Joy, true joy is to be found if and when we reclaim our ritual focus and center; and that stuff cannnot be made up or on the fly. Off the box now. Sorry for the downer.
  • Charles, this is why I attend a Mass w/o music. One is obligated to attend, but I am surrounded by the worst offenses to church music (in attitude, not necessarily practice) and cannot keep my mind focused on the divine sacrifice. It's sad, but the local reality. Even our local TLM -- local! it's an hour's drive, one way -- has a dedicated but "developing" group. In any case, that's too much driving when I have so much to get ready for Monday morning.
  • Thanks for saying this. I very much enjoy being on the show with Todd. If you read our writings, you would get the sense that would be at each other's throats, but the truth is that he has respect for What the Church intends, and knows the documents well. He is not among the crude boosters of the anything-but-chant school of days gone by. We have different perspectives to be sure, but our disagreements are reduced in importance once we start talking about the practical details of what we are going to sing this Sunday and how we are going to get there in the real world.

I'm not one of these "let's all get together and talk" kind of people, and I'm not interested in compromised positions that come with phony "dialogue."However, it turns out to be a good and productive thing for us to offer our perspectives on all this. those of us involved in this struggle need to become much better at presenting the sacred-music perspective in a compelling way, honing in on what really matters so that we can use our intellectual capital efficiently, and part of that requires a thorough understanding of the practical issues that people outside of our "movement" face. This can't but improve our programs and strategies and clarify our thinking. In any case, I have to say that I've benefited from these discussions.
  • GavinGavin
    I'm downloading this now. As of this second, I have an acute cold which is impairing my cognitive faculties, but I'll give a bit of what I'm hoping for. What disappointed me in the last one WAS the lack of heat. I'm not talking screaming of "MODERNIST!!!" "OLD CHURCHER!!" but there was a bit much "agree to disagree" which covered up the divide between the two approaches. I really wanted to know HOW Todd can read the positive and negative musical legislation and program the Haas Gloria, or (presumably) not use Gloria XV. I want Jeff to tell why he (from what we heard in the program) doesn't do much with instrumental music at his parish. And I don't mean that as an attack on either, I just want to know the mindsets of these two knowledgeable liturgists read the same documents and come to such VERY different programs. I wanted, and needed at the time, a discussion on how the attitudes, prejudices, and traditions of the congregation impact what each sees as the ideal (or if they truly see the same ideal?)

In short, what I'm hoping for going into this is a good side-by-side presentation of the attitudes driving each program. One doesn't have to be "right" and the other "wrong", just bring out the contrast. I'm optimistic, because I'm sure a lot more good stuff can be said in an hour than a half!
  • kevinfkevinf
    I would agree with Gavin. I found the conversations rather "accommodating" in their dialectic. Neither side made a strong case for their experience, though I would say that I found Mr. Flowerday somewhat suspicious of tradition. But I believe that is a charge made of much of the post-conciliar church.

By and large, it was friendly. Maybe that is okay. But I grow weary of the post-conciliar attitudes toward excellence in anything of liturgical matters. As one who started out "there", I want to move on. Sadly, where I work is stuck in a 1980's liturgical mentality where anything goes as long as "the community" can do it. It seems to me that continuity with tradition carries with it an intellectual and theological heft that crumbles the general present state of liturgy in America. Benedict has already shown that to be possible.

I think it high time to begin to assail what is truly wrong, that is, a denial of continuity with tradition. A lowest common denominator attitude and a fear of "the sacred".

Okay, off my high horse now.

Kevin
  • Oh there is lots more to talk about. the topics the moderator chose to address elicited lots of agreement this time. The thing is that Todd is not one of these industrial-strength commercial-pop proponents. I would say that his bias is that he wants authentic music that grows from the community in an organic way, and that does not exclude plainsong, which is praise worthy. Where we depart is his emphasis on the gathered, whereas I have a stronger eye on universals. That's how I would size it up anyway. I hope we have more time to discuss this.

The near absence of instruments in our liturgical structure is really rooted in the conviction that singing is better without crutches. There is something wonderful that takes place when people realize that their voices ARE the music.
  • I'm convinced we shut down the "dialectic" entirely here, there and everywhere for a prescribed time (to be determined by a panel of the young Marini, Dr. Paul Ford and Rev. Joncas!)
    Then, Jeffrey and Todd can set up an internet protocol "gateway" that can determine whether an prospective entrant has read Rev. Ruff's tome a requisite three times, having highlighted his/her salient passages the second time, and scribbled (thanks, BMP) their own liner notes the third.
    We seem to keep covering our own tracks over and over again, time after time, same issues after same issues.
    I figure once we get the point that we're not reinventing the wheel here, we can get down to brass tacks.
    No sense deliberating Bugnini/Dobszay if we haven't Ruffed up.
    PS for Mike, music's fine, mon ami. It's, ahem, clerical indifference to what one could reasonably presume to be their function- the efficacy of the "source and summit of our being"- that's driven me bonkers beyond my normal quotient. This is/was supposed to be my last career, Mike, before keeling over during an anicrusis (sp?) Damn, I don't want to go back to teaching high school choir, ya know?
  • kevinfkevinf
    In other words, his emphasis is on the horizontal, as opposed to the vertical dimension of the liturgy. Not surprised, given that is the prevalent notion of the American church.

The vertical dimension is what is missing. Or in the words of my illustrious spiritual director, "What has God got to do with it".
  • I'm with you on Ruff. It's all in there. I don't agree with his answers, but he provides most all the data to drive the debate.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I had a chance to listen to the recording today. Thank you!

Personally, I don't think that it's particularly useful to focus on the disagreements. There are many points of contention, of course, between different philosophies. We know this well.

But what developed out of the conversation was potentially a very powerful idea - to bring the church's music back within reach of us, the church. Why NOT commission the creation of first-class liturgical music, and give it away to the benefit of humanity? Why NOT promote the usage of Creative Commons as a way to recognize and reward the best music, without restricting adoption?

So I found this conversation quite exciting, and I hope it progresses forward.

Carl

"Attract people to sacred music rather than force them towards it"
  • Yes, those were excellent points of agreement and I too was excited about that. In fact, I need to write something about that. Todd has this excellent idea that the Bishops should buy copyrights and put the music in public domain. that is a very creative idea.
  • incantuincantu
    I didn't know that the discussion was televised</>.
  • "Then, Jeffrey and Todd can set up an internet protocol "gateway" that can determine whether an prospective entrant has read Rev. Ruff's tome a requisite three times, having highlighted his/her salient passages the second time, and scribbled (thanks, BMP) their own liner notes the third."

Charles:

Next time I have Todd and Jeff on the show, I'll add an extra hour so I can set up the discussion by reading Ruff's book aloud. Just kidding, of course.

I appreciate the criticism. I'm usually assuming that some listeners are finding the show via the BlogTalkRadio site itself, and may not be as up to speed on these arguments as others. I probably shouldn't have assumed so in this case.
  • Wow, the host ! good to have you here.
  • Dear Craig, sorry to have injured! Mea culpa.
    I very much appreciate your alotting ANY time to liturgical matters. It often seems that the one thing missing from "catholic culture" discussions at all levels-parish, diocesan (at least in mine), broadcast/cable media and the WorldWideInterlink (Thanks, V for Vendetta) is the, ahem, state of our WORSHIP OF ALMIGHTY GOD!
    So, I wish we had days of webcast forums! But then, as Gavin has stated, I definitely qualify as a liturgy geek. And as I was listening to Todd's voice for the first time (Jeffrey's dulcet tenor has graced my ears in close proximity already!) I also was clock-watching as I had to rush off to provide music leadership for an erzatz Youth Ministry Formation Workshop "Opening Service." That service was the subject of personal consternation for me, so I was already "funkified" and was yearning for gems of liturgical sanity from these two gentlemen. You have my gratitude for keeping their interplay going.
    BTW, the yout' gig went fine: I just channel Jesse Manibusan and Matt Maher at age 57 and (think Fred Astaire) it's "Heaven, I'm in heaven...." for the LifeTeen Crowd, some of whom are OLDER THAN ME!
    Give you an idea of our diocese: priests have a convocation inwhich all Masses utilize chant in both vernacular and Latin. Out of same convocation a list of five diocesan priorities is forged. "LITURGY" is nowhere to be found in those articulated priorities, not even by association. These priorities will soon result in a Diocesan Congress (used to simply be a mini-CCD one day gig.) The only, ONLY workshop dealing with LITURGY? How to embed LIFETEEN into your parish's worship program. Oh joy!
    I'm thinking retrogression now. To paraphrase an 80's tune: I'm thinking about "Walk like a Hassidic."
    Anyways, Craig, thanks again.
  • GavinGavin
    I enjoyed it. There wasn't the contrast I was hoping for, but I was amazed at how productive the discussion turned out to be. And I love Todd's idea of having the bishops commission works.

On a tangent, this is SUCH a huge failure of the bishops. All of them. Everyone was all too ready to whoop and cheer for Morlino banning "Gather Us In" (did that actually fix anything in his diocese or just make 2 or 3 ideologues happy?) but what has Morlino done positively? Open request of his excellence: put your money where your mouth is. Commission music worthy of the Mass and promote it ACTIVELY within your diocese. Until then, angry letters about The Issue Of The Day are just going to energize people outside your diocese and annoy everyone inside. Let me pledge right now: if I ever make it to a position in a diocese with influence, I WILL do everything I can to see such music promoted. I don't have a problem with incessantly badgering a bishop. As I used to tell priests, "I don't feel comfortable telling a priest what to do. But I DO feel comfortable hitting you with a hymnal if you don't do what I want!"

That episode was incredibly productive, and is just the sort of work I like to see out of gatherings of musicians.
  • G
    Everyone was all too ready to whoop and cheer for Morlino banning "Gather Us In" (did that actually fix anything in his diocese or just make 2 or 3 ideologues happy?) but what has Morlino done positively?

I don't know. Are you in his diocese? He said he would be issuing some specific guidelines in the future. Did he, Gavin?

Until then, angry letters about The Issue Of The Day are just going to energize people outside your diocese and annoy everyone inside.

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't recall anything "angry" about what Morlino wrote at the time, I'm not even sure he "banned: the music he discussed I thought it was about general principles and used GUI as an example, and said a dialogue should be opened.
  • GavinGavin
    Lessee, the latest "big freakin' issue" in the Conservative Catholic Blogosphere is Biden and Pelosi giving their worthless opinion as to why they can cooperate with the slaughter of the unborn. And somehow this involves every bishop in the USCCB? At any rate, I checked Fr. Z's list of responding bishops, Morlino was the latest. What does it have to do with Madison, WI? I don't know. It's irrelevant frankly, my point is that whenever blogging Catholics have their maniples in a twist over something, certain bishops can be counted on to say whatever's needed to make them cheer, and do no more action. Despite all the "sense of the sacred" complaining and denouncing this and that, I can't think of ONE positive measure undertaken by a bishop.

With the exception of Bp. Burke. Some call for a red hat for him, I call for a papal tiara! He instituted some institute of sacred music in St. Louis. I know other bishops do things too, in fact I'm anxiously awaiting the new bishop of my home diocese getting to work, but generally the amount of negative and meaningless pronunciations outweighs the positive and constructive. Todd and Jeff threw out a great idea; I'm hoping we'll see it happen, but I won't hold my breath.