Short questions on Holy Thursday (for next year)
  • miacoyne
    Is organ still played only to support singing and no solo on Holy Thursday? Father mentioned yesterday that the Lent is officially over starting with Holy Thursday. (I'm a bit confused because we are not using organ on Good Friday.)

Can the wooden clicker ('ratchet?' sorry I forgot the proper name.) be used during Gloria instead of the bell?
  • expeditus1
    In the EF, the organ is silenced after the playing of the Gloria on Holy Thursday. It is not to be used, even to support the singing, until the playing of the Gloria at the Easter Vigil.

The bells are rung during the Gloria on both Holy Thursday and the Easter Vigil. I've never heard of using the ratchet or crotalus instead.
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • expeditus1
    Correction: miacoyne, Father Z wrote about this in his blog a couple of weeks ago. It explains why we call it a "crotulus", instead of a "crotalus": http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/03/quaeritur-rattlers-in-the-sanctuary/. Actually, "crotalus" would make sense though, because of the sound of the "death rattle" that a dying person emits.

Here's another percussion instrument that could be used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_(instrument)
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • Spriggo
    From the Roman Missal rubrics for Holy Thursday:

7. the Gloria in Excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said. While the hymn is being sung, bells are rung, and when it is finished, they remain silent until the Gloria in Excelsis of the easter vigil, unless, if appropriate, the Diocesan bishop has decided otherwise. Likewise, during this same period, the organ and other musical instruments may be used only so as to support the singing.
    Thanked by 2miacoyne marajoy
  • Protasius
    In the EF the organ may be used even solo on Holy Thursday until the Gloria; the appropriate rubric is from the Caeremoniale Episcoporum (1600), which belongs to a time when there was no accompaniment and singing with organ meant alternating chant and organ versets.
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • miacoyne
    "For Holy Week, the last time bells, or organ, can be rung in the Roman Rite is for the first few words of the Gloria of Holy Thursday. After the beginning of the Gloria there should be no bells, which produce such cheery sounds. " from Father Z's blog above.

So it seems that the bells are rung customarily only for the first few words of Gloria, not for the entire time?
  • Spriggo
    I think the Roman Missal trumps Fr. Z, no?
  • BenBen
    Fr. Z might be going on an older source. But currently, the bells are rung though the gloria.
  • expeditus1
    If you want to see the granddaddy of rachet devices, check out the picture in this Good Friday article from the Austrian Alps (scroll down):

http://ausserferner.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/karfreitag/
  • miacoyne
    Maybe the Roman Missal is not specific (as it happens often) on how long the bells should be rung. Maybe one can follow the old custom, that way it's not as festive as in Easter Vigil. The bell maybe meant to signify the beginning of the Holy Triduum, but not to be so festive? The whole 'mood' of the Holy Thursday Mass is not so festive I don't think. Once again, learning the old custom helps me how to interpret and meaning of the instructions.