Lectionarium tenebrale - Work in progress
  • "The file you requested has limited access: Publisher only."
  • aldrich
    Sorry for that. It's now public.

Thanks to @Hugh for the Mozarabic tone.
  • Simon
    Typo in the numbering of lessons in second nocturn.
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • aldrich
    Will correct and finalise this one.

Thanks.
  • tomjaw
    Have noticed another, In the 8th Lesson Ego enim... Accipite et manducate hoc : hoc est... Should be "Accipite et manducate : hoc est"

I set this last year... and will be chanting it again later today, here is my effort,

• Simon
    Aldrich - Just looked briefly at the second lamentation. The Mozarabic melodies need a close edit I think. The phrase after Zain, for example, does not correspond to Hugh's edition. I know Hugh's edition is accurate because both Hugh and I went through it last year rather intensely. Hugh's edition is based on a scan I made of a 1930s publication of the Mozarabic melodies (which I now have in front of me) and this second check confirms the accuracy of the phrase after Zain in Hugh's edition.

(Six hours later after the Tenebrae service for Maundy Thursday in Amsterdam). Aldrich: checked through more of the lamentations - found lots of mistakes, too many to list. This really needs a close check.
  • aldrich
    Of course, the chants I have set will NEVER coincide with Hugh's edition. I'm making a free application of the Mozarabic chants. As a clarification, the chants in that Lectionarium do not carry the exact melody of all of Hugh's edition.

The chants are based on only one piece, the chant "Cogitavit Dominus dissipare," the only Lamentation I heard recorded. Before this, I only heard the modulation once sung in an actual Officium Tenebrae.

I have transcribed this by ear, and the typesetting of the chants contained in the Lectionarium ANTEDATES my discovery of Hugh's edition by roughly a year. I found Hugh's book just last year, and what I did was just check the position of the episemata in the final cadence.

I have no intention of using all the melodies from Hugh's Lamentationale. That specific modulation from Silos is sufficient for us, as this has become greatly endeared to the schola. This will be the second year of our use of this particular modulation.

Just to clarify, we do not have a luxury of books for reference, to begin with. The only vestige of Mozarabic chant we have is our own particular chants (and we have existing cantorals for these, intact but unexplored), which unfortunately still wait to be properly transcribed.
    Thanked by 1Simon