Who is supposed to participate in the Holy Thursday Procession?
  • francis
    In other words, those who actually process around the church... I am not seeing specifics in the MR3.
  • BenBen
    At my Cathedral, the altar of repose is in the narthex in the adjoining building to the church, so only the servers and clergy take part in the procession, and the congregation remains in place, and visits the altar after the clergy have left. However, our diagrams say that if the location is further, the congregation may take part in the procession, carrying hand candles, behind the clergy, as in a normal Eucharistic procession.

It's not in the MR, but knowing our MC, I bet the practice I described might have an element of continuity.
  • francis
    Ben:

What about the choir?
  • chonakchonak
    The Ceremonial of Bishops prescribes (#307): crossbearer with acolytes carrying candles; clergy; deacons; concelebrants; minister with bishop's staff; two censerbearers; the bishop; ministers assisting with book and miter. Those in the procession carry lighted candles; around the Blessed Sacrament torches are carried.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Our trustful Peter Elliott (Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year, p. 106) says:

The order of procession is as follows: the cross and candle bearers lead the procession, followed by a robed choir*, other servers without specific duties, clergy in choir dress, any deacons not assisting the celebrant, the concelebrants and finally the celebrant carrying the Holy Eucharist. Two, four or six torch bearers walk on each side of the celebrant. he is flanked by two deacons or concelebrants, walking slightly behind him, and he is immediately preceded by the thurifer(s), as at the Eucharistic Procession of Corpus Christi. All taking part in the procession carry hand candles, customarily in their outside hands, including the laity, who immediately follow the celebrant. Those not taking part in the procession kneel as the Holy Eucharist passes them.

* A choir that is not robed follows the celebrant in the procession, carrying hand candles. According to circumstances, it may be preferable for the choir to remain in its place to lead the singing during the procession.
  • francis
    chonak

Any mention of choir?
  • chonakchonak
    Quod legi scripsi.
  • francis
    chonak

The written law is?
  • francis
    smvanroode:

So, choir members without clothes should not process without a candle in front of them, eh?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    LOL. My choir stays in the loft. Let the younger people do the procession
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    So, choir members without clothes should not process without a candle in front of them, eh?

That's what Msgr. Elliott says, essentially.
  • chonakchonak
    @francis: "What I have read, I have written."