Did Pope Francis sing at his installation Mass?
  • I was unable to watch the installation Mass this morning so can anyone tell me if the Pope sang at all?
  • CharlesW
    I read something this morning that said he doesn't sing because of the lung issue.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No, not a word. Someone else sang the Mysterium Fidei and Per Ipsum.
  • CharlesW
    Actually, what I read said he can't sing because of the missing lung. True? I don't know.

Another thing that concerned me. If he doesn't start taking security more seriously, he may find himself in danger. I remember someone pushing Pope Benedict down, and I think someone else lunged at him. Whether or not they had weapons, I don't remember. It's a dangerous world.
  • Bobby Bolin
    After reading the first four posts, my initial reaction to your post, Charles, was that the word "lung" can't be used as a past tense verb... oops

The program for his installation mass didn't look much different from what Benedict did. Good thing for traditionalists.
  • CharlesW
    It's past tense of lunge, not lung. Must be home schooled ;-) LOL.

Yes, I didn't see much difference in the mass, either. Maybe that is a good sign. I did notice that his vestments were really plain, but I expected that.
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also, hasn't the Vatican denied the one lung thing?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    MJM, so I heard.
  • Ted
    I saw him singing the Pater Noster, but his voice is not loud.
  • bonniebede
    Apparently he has had most but not all of one lung removed. At the gospel giving the peace he spoke where it was only a few words and he was responding to something chanted - i'm gettting the impression he can't sing, maybe its lung capacity, or incapacity, or nerves, who knows? Probably the folks in Argentina would...
    Lay off the homeschoolers, charles :-). Giving a one day retreat to seven homeschoolers preparing for first holy communion tomorrow. What can I teach them to chant for our time of eucharistic Adoration? any simple ideas?
    Has he been having the Benedictine arrangement candles moved more to the side?
    Also did Pelosi and biden get communion? Even in Ireland thats a topic of interest, as we are likely to be facing the same issues here soon. (Communion and politicians that is)
  • CharlesW
    Seven homeschoolers? I hope it doesn't turn into a sevenfold version of, "The Ransom of Red Chief." ;-) I don't know about Pelosi and Biden. Anyone know?
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Bobby Bolin
    Badly worded, never mind.
  • Andrew_Malton
    bonniebede: Adoro te devote. Easy. Beautiful. Perfect.
  • BenBen
    Hey Charles, this homeschooler gets together every Friday with 100 others... watch out for us...we are many :) btw, we learn chant :D
    Thanked by 2canadash bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    I know. You are all Republicans, inhale gunpowder at NRA meetings, are champion spellers, go to the EF Mass... Did I leave out anything? LOL.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • chonakchonak
    ...and all the children are above average.
  • WendiWendi
    Be careful Charles...we homeschool types are EVERYWHERE... :)

bonniebede...what Andrew said. It's very simple and my four year old can do it. (She sings beautifully in Latin too.)
  • CharlesW
    I know, Wendi. It may surprise you that most of the home schoolers in my area are Protestants - as in, evangelical types.
  • AlVotta
    Maybe the Holy Father can't sing in tune, or thinks he can't. That can happen.
  • mahrt
    Pope Francis was said to have sung the Salve Regina at St. Mary Major.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Who could be so callous as to fault a man (who happens to be pope) for not singing with only one lung? He deserves our support and understanding. However, I noticed at his first papal mass in the Sistine Chapel, that the lessons were not sung, nor were the universal prayers and a few other things that well should have been. Such half-baked ritual and lack of consistency in ceremonial register is all too typical of Catholic liturgy at all levels just about everywhere. Some fine lessons could be learnt from the Eastern Rites and the Anglican Ordinariates.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen IanW
  • Interesting, I know many priests and have never known one of them who wasn't willing to sing the Salve Regina. Some of them never sing anything at Mass but they will always sing the Salve Regina when they are in a group of priests. Thank you all for your observations on this matter.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Jani
    Biden and Pelosi did receive Communion, according to the Washington Times.
  • bonniebede
    Well the homeschoolers retreat went great, and I've signed up another few to the chantclass/eucharistic adoration gig too. Also roped in one or two of the ladies from the choir hopefully it will give them a glimpse of what our adult choir could be doing. We are on a pretty constant diet of the music of Fr Liam Lawton, the only good thing I can say about it is that as we are running very quickly through the Mass for Holy week, i'm not getting lost among all the new music because when you've heard one piece of Lawton, you've pretty much heard them all.
    Homeschoolers in Ireland are mostly not republicans... that means something different here (and lately not so addicted to guns and such stuff, thankfully)
  • CharlesW
    A bit off topic, bonniebede, but that never stops any of us. :-) What is the state of church music in Ireland? We are still reeling from the contributions of the "young" from the seventies. Unfortunately, those young composers are now neither young nor relevant, but hopelessly dated. Do you have a similar situation? I am not familiar with Lawton.
  • @CharlesW

Liam Lawton Selections

Liam Lawton Bio

What I noted in the bio; composer of "inspirational" music. That was the keyword red flag.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    What I noted in the bio, composer of "inspirational" music. That was the keyword red flag.

LOL. Kinda like how a realtor calls a neighborhood "diverse" which means, "don't walk around at night". :)
  • LOL, see I knew my realtor couldn't use words to describe areas, a big no no. So what I did was made a CD with 3 distinct songs on it, and instructed him to tune the cd player accordingly so we could "fit in" with the different surroundings as we drove through. haha! Very effective!
  • CharlesW
    Inspirational, but not liturgical. So he's kind of like the Haugen of Ireland?
  • scroll down that list of selections, and listen to a few of the mp3s, that should give you just a decent idea what kind of "inspirational" you'll get.
  • advocatusadvocatus
    Biden and Pelosi did receive Communion, according to the Washington Times.
    Did they sing?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    The Enthronement of the Archbishop of Canterbury resembled a production of The Lion King more than than a traditional Anglican choral service. http://www.anglicancommunion.org/_userfiles/File/EnthronementService-v2-PRINT_1.PDF
  • CharlesW
    Biden and Pelosi sing? I bet they will, if enough money is given.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Looking at the Ordo, I don't see anything particularly Lion King-ish.
    I would say that whoever designed that sucker needs to take some online typography classes. (Center-justified? Really?)
  • "During this song the dancers lead the Archbishop to the Pulpitum screen". Sounds like fun! In the words of the Ordo (p. 41), "Deo gracias!"
  • Scott_WScott_W
    "During this song the dancers lead the Archbishop to the Pulpitum screen". Sounds like fun!

Do they have seven veils?
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • bonniebede
    What is the state of church music in Ireland?

I can't claim any sort of expertise. i've been fortunate enough to be a regular for the last years at St Teresa's in Clarendon Street Dublin, a gem of a church on the must visit list if you ever come to Ireland. run by Carmelites they have employed an organist and paid for a choir for one sunday Mass for the last number of years, and so we have been enjoying some nice chant and a lot of very good polyphony.
    The organist is also a talented composer Ronan McDonagh, who has some beautiful pieces. Ronan has also developed an volunteer choir who sing there in irish, and has written some excellent pieces in both irish and English. You can sample their stuff here http://www.fuaimlaoi.com/ Not all of that is for mass by any means. One particularly touching piece is an traditional Irish lullaby, often ascribed to being what Mary sings to Jesus in the crib, which he has interspersed with verses, music by himself and the lyric by an excellent Irish poet. The first verse asks Mary - where will you go to find safety for your baby, with every door shut in his face with the coldness and pride of the human race? and the second verse asks her ' to accept the invitation I extend, to a small windswept island in the west, where there is a turf fire in every hearth and in every window a candle to welcome you' referring to an irish custom of putting a candle in the window on Christmas eve to welcome Mary and Joseph should they happen to knock on your door. Sorry for waxing lyrical, but it is a beautiful piece.
    A number of his pieces set Irish prayers from our ancient monastic tradition to music, in other places he has taken psalms or liturgical hymns and given them a treatment which respects aspects of chant, with the Irish tradition of unison singing (which given our culture was probably enriched by the traditions of the monasteries.
    Anyway we have moved from there recently and so am now back in more normal land. Many places have no music at all. Folk groups, taize groups, gospel choirs, guitar/singer combos and church choirs of a few aging voices are common. The Ef parish in Dublin is served by a wonderful young schola under the direction of Ita Donovan, whose work is a bright spot in a fairly dark landscape. The procathedral also has some decent music, though the tradionally all boys Palestrina Choir has recently opened its doors to girls under its new lady choir director.
    As for what is being sung in parishes, people with very good will are making tremendous efforts to do their best, but it sounds like the same story as i hear on this forum, few know what they should be doing, and much poor quality music abounds. We have plenty of haugen et al, as well as a few homegrown geniuses of that ilk. Increasing amounts of music from the school catechesis program is being used at 'family masses'. That program teaches the kids that the Eucharist is Holy bread, and the music tends to be the 'lets celebrate ourselves celebrating' sort.
    But , as elsewhere, there are sound young priests with good hearts, many of the young are more traditional minded and other signs of springtime are visible.
    Spring in Ireland is a changeable season... last week it was balmy with blossom, at the moment outside my window is a howling gale with sleet and snow in places. I think when JPII called for a new spingtime people often get mixed up in their seasons, and think it should look like harvest time. ;-)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jani
    Did they sing?

I don't know. I was simply answering a question that had been asked. I didn't think it was a rhetorical query - perhaps that proves a glaring lack of sophistication on my part.