Why so many "cantors?"
  • In my 38 years of DM service, I've never, ever even considered that the establishment of a "core" of what we erringly dub "cantors" is a requisite part of my job description. Now, at my place with 9 Masses, three are led by song leaders who are assigned to those three Masses regularly 52 weeks a year. The rest have choirs or ensembles.
    The establishment and maintenance of competent choirs IS a huge requisite in my mind.
    But I read constantly about DM's having to recruit or even fend off lotsa Mr./Ms. Caruso's eager to spend their talent "fer the Lord" and to serve "THE PEOPLE." It seems like one big hassle to me, and counter-productive to the fostering of congregational participation; if the PIPs hear pleasing ambient choral singing of hymns and service music, they'll be more inclined to enter personally into that ambience.
    Whaddya'll think about the concept of "song leaders" as last resorts only?
  • john m
    I regard the "cantor" as a specific liturgical role: the one who sings the Psalm and the Alleluia (in the OF, of course). The "songleader" is another species. In my experience, the best songleader is the organist. At liturgies where there is no organist and no choir, then someone has to step up to the plate and start the singing a capella, keep the tempo from dragging and help to maintain the pitch. This would be, IMO, a legitimate use for a songleader.
  • JDE
    What john m said!

In our program we use cantors for the Psalm and (most of the time, when the choir isn't singing it) the verse in the Gospel Acclamation. The rest of the time, the PIP follow the choir or the organist, or even both.

It has been this way the whole time I've been DOM. Singing continues to get better. Sometimes a visiting priest will remark that we sing well "even without the cantor." My opinion is that we sing well *because* we don't have a cantor!
  • GavinGavin
    I think you're wrong, Charles. I'm on John's side, Cantors are an important and particular role in the Roman Rite. Developing and forming a competent and educated core SHOULD BE your job as a Roman Rite musician. The way things are now, I have some cantors working every other week with myself included. I could use more.

I'll also add to John's definition that a cantor can also have any other singing role requiring antiphonal singing. I arranged an antiphonal version of the Vidi Aquam for Easter, I use a responsorial psalm at the late Mass and 2 propers at the early one. My cantors are busy, God bless 'em!
  • CharlesW
    I am somewhere in the middle (or muddle) on this. I know that the the OF form seems to be "ministered" to death. Since there are ceiling fans in the choir loft - only run when no music is playing - I often refer to myself as the extraordinary minister of the ceiling fans. I use cantors for the psalm and the Gospel verse. I also use them to start sung mass parts and hymns, then they step back a bit and let the congregation sing. My cantors stay in the back in the choir loft where I can communicate with them. The congregation resents having them in the sanctuary, which is fine with me. I don't want them there either. However, the role of cantor is not open to anyone and everyone. I only have enough cantors to cover necessary functions. When the cantors sing with the choir, they are no longer cantors but choir members.
  • john m
    "...the OF form seems to be "ministered" to death."

That is true, but the profusion of invented ministries need not downgrade those actually represented in the liturgical books. It seems pretty clear that the cantor is a legitimate role, at least when his or her activities are limited to what is called for in the rubrics.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I've had great cantors and not so great and I appreciate their role in the OF as usually celebrated. However, if you want to move from the Lectionary to the Propers, will your cantors be able to make the move? Or will you be seen as taking away their ministry? Ideally, they would leave the ambo, get back in the choir, and sing the psalm verses inside the introit, gradual, etc. So here we go with "choir/cantor catechesis" again. While I think there are singers who won't have a problem with that, the "show pony" types will - and they tend to have the pastor's phone number on speed dial.
  • francis
    Wow, MJ. That is so true (and soooo telling!)
  • Gavin and John, I think you didn't read my post in the correct light. I was not at all denigrating the legitimate roll of true "cantors." (see "the establishment of a "core" of what we erringly dub "cantors")
    We have at choral Masses "Psalmists" who render the verses of the Responsorial and GA.
    What I was trying to say is that I've gleaned from various boards that there is a preponderence of:
    1. A soloist (mic'd or not) whose responsibility is to provide melodic and sonic "leadership" for all congregational singing, as well as singing verses of songs in a refrain/verse/antiphon exchange form. These persons replace choirs for whatever reasons, even mostly valid reasons of scarcity of qualified, willing choral volunteers. There are parishes, it seems, where the supply of such folk is so predominant, that they require scheduling and rotation much as are provided lectors and servers.
    2. A soloist who does much the same as above, except there is also a choir (of some sort) present; and they presumably articulate the melody for congregational singing, or heaven's forbid, enact the old NPM concept of an animateur.

These folks, talented or less than alike, are what I'm naming "song leaders," not cantors. Okay? (For example, a person singing a solo verse of a song, does not necessarily need to leave the the choir to do so.)

So, again I ask: is it in the Faithful's best interests that this model of musical leadership remain predominant in proportion to the ongoing maintenance and formation of competent, vital choirs?

I hope you understand my point this time.
  • john m
    Charles

Thanks for expanding on your original post. I think I got your point the first time, which is why I too was careful to distinguish between a cantor and a songleader.

This relates to something I just experienced today: EWTN's live broadcast of Mass for the Annuciation from Marquette. MI, at the cathedral which I once served as DoM. The entrance hymn was Immaculate Mary. The cathedral choir was present, with a competent organist. And I am still asking myself why in heaven's name they insisted on having a songleader bellowing Immaculate Mary into the microphone, completely obliterating the sound of the people and the choir. What is it that makes musicians think that people cannot sing Immaculate Mary without a plugged-in soloist, especially when backed up by a decent organist and choir? This brand of songleader is clearly superfluous.

I think a case can be made for an "unplugged" songleader at liturgies where the choir or organist is not available, such as a small parish or mission which lacks the funds to fairly compensate a trained director or organist. I am thinking of a tiny mission church with which I am familiar in the northwoods of Ontario, which, unless there is a singer willing to lead the congregation, would have no music at all otherwise. But a songleader in the situation which I viewed on EWTN today is patently ridiculous.
  • francis
    I am able to project the text of the hymn on the back or side wall with a little red bouncing ball! This completely eliminates the need for a hymnal too. Contact me for details.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I think there is a different problem that you are hearing with broadcast Mass. It's not so much that the "song leader" needs to step back from the mic. It's that, probably for lack of funds and possibly expertise, the PA system is simply the audio channel of the broadcast. There are probably not separate mics to pick up the sound of the congregation, much less the ambiance of the building. The organs tend to be overbearing in these broadcasts as well.
  • john m
    Steve

I have no doubt you are right that the cathedral's sound system is being used as the primary audio channel. I would posit further that audio technicians don't always understand the communal sound that should characterize the Liturgy; even at broadcasts from the National Shrine we get Big Brother Cantor overlaid on top of the sound of the congregation. Still, my main objection is: why does a cantor have to sing such a well-known hymn into a microphone in the first place? I played and directed the Chrism Mass in the same cathedral about two weeks ago; we didn't use a songleader, and the congregation got along very well with the support of the organ and the diocesan choir.

In my present parish we broadcast the sung Mass on local radio every Sunday. In addition to the primary feed which is that of the church sound system, we have an omni microphone suspended over the nave to pick up the congregation and the general ambiance of the church, including the choir and organ. I instruct the cantors, particularly at this Mass, not to sing on any of the people's parts, because it will come across as a solo on the radio.
  • john m
    Francis - does that offer include a Mighty Wurlitzer? :-)
  • francis
    John - hmmmmmmmm.... don't do theatre organ, sorry.
  • GavinGavin
    Charles, I'm 100% with you on dumping "song leaders". I'd just caution about terminology; the cantor is an important role, and as I said there is much music they may do, but singing the congregation's parts for the congregation is not one of them.
  • Regis
    Another unfortunate effect of the overemphasis on cantors or "leaders of song," is, I've come to think, a decrease in interest in choral singing in parishes. A few weeks ago a young lady in high school stopped me before Mass and said to me: "Hi..you're the organist...right? I wanna, like, be, like, a cantor? How can I, like, start being, like, a cantor?" I explained to her that at the Masses where there is a cantor in our parish, it's always one of my paid section leaders who sing (and they, by the way, would be insulted if I asked them to use a microphone). But I told her that she was more than welcome to join the choir and she'd eventually be able to do things like intone psalm antiphons or the gospel acclamation or the kyrie or something like that. When I told her rehearsals were involved she told me she was "really busy with school." Now, she's a nice kid and I know she just wanted to volunteer to help out. But I could tell too that she had become enamored with a really silly convention while at the same time rejecting any thought of actually participating in a real art form. I began to wonder after this, has this cantor phenomenon begun to overshadow choirs in Catholic parishes, at least in the US?
  • soli
    I am wondering if someone could post on the most correct position from which a cantor should cant the Psalm. My instincts tell me that the choir loft is more than fine if the sound is clear. The communication between the cantor, the choir, director and organist would be much better and the contrary would have more confidence, if that were an issue as well. Also, I don't think that it is necessary to be seen if the sound is clear.

However, some of the other musicians in our Parish want the cantors to "move" downstairs at the ambo to sing. I am afraid that from there, they will want to install a "song leader" at the front and then...?!?!

Could anyone help me? Are there any directives from the rubrics of the Church? I imagine both are permitted, but perhaps there is a historical reason why the choir loft is better or a liturgical reason for one or the other. Thank you for responding!
  • Ancilla, I believe that the GIRM suggests the ambo but this seems to be based on "modern cantor theory" which is completely incorrect in every way, so far as I can tell. The idea is that the cantor should make eye contact with everyone and be Mr. Personality and wave arms around so as to inspire us to be involved and excited and you know the rest. Sadly, this is all just completely stupid and it wrecks the Psalm.There is even a Cantor Training School of some sort that is guaranteed to wreck every student's ability to sing in a non-annoying way. Beware of anyone with a Cantor Certificate!

On the contrary, there should be no eye contact, no arm waving, no anything but a clear and distinct and non-animated singing of the Psalm. Everything else distracts from the purpose of the Psalm, which is to inspire internal reflection on the text and on the readings and their meaning. The best solution here, then, is to sing from the loft or some other place that is NOT visible. But I have no idea how this fits with current legislation/recommendations.

At my own parish, the cantor used to sing from the ambo. One day, that just stopped, I think under the influence of our own schola. People were so relieved to not have someone else yelping at them from the sanctuary. We need fewer Personalities in liturgy, not more.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey, didn't I see you up there cantoring yesterday with a sign that said, "I can't HEAR you...." ???

;-)
  • soli
    Thank you, Jeffrey. That helps a lot. Hilarious, Jeff! You must be good friends:) It's lovely ironic humour. Much appreciated!!
  • Jeffrey, I beg to differ about the location of the Psalmist. While the GIRM is flexible about the location (Hence, the psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place.) I don't think anything is gained by the Psalm wafting in from the ether. For many it would be a greater distraction and for some turn into a liturgical Where's Waldo? game.

When serving as Psalmist I don't hesitate to make eye contact with the congregation. The Psalm is a period of meditation but that does not exclude any particular method of the words being heard by the congregant. What it needs is to be presented with great dignity.

No doubt my hackles go up at some Psalmists' actions. I am disturbed by those (predominantly women) who feel no reason to dress for the occasion: short skirts, clam diggers, low cut tops, and shoes whose sound on the marble would do the Clydesdales good. I find it equally disturbing to see those who drag along some dogeared stapled papers, do a little head bob as they pass the altar, and "establish" themselves at the ambo like Kirk in the captain's chair.

The musical presentation that some of them give is another source of irritation. A few are obviously hoping that there's an agent out there waiting to sign them up for the next musical, or opera, or garage band, or whatever. Some toss in a vibrato that should send most folks diving for an air raid shelter. And worst of all are those who are demonstrating their skill - more or less - at sight reading. Never having looked at the Psalm until just before Mass pretty much ensures that it will not be proclaimed as it should.

Sadly our church building, about 10 years old, was designed by a satanic acoustical engineer. Seating 1800, the room is tough to fill with sound. The organ is electronic, and is truly magnificent as electronic organs go, but it has speakers fore and aft with which a voice must contend. Add to that the half pipe architectural element running the length of the roof, guaranteed to trap sound and never let it go, and you have a true need for microphones (which I heartily despise!). So the "unseen singer" would take on the character of a recorded voice, which is not what the church needs.

All things considered, what is really needed more than moving the voice to somewhere behind the curtain is adequate training for Psalmists and a continuous maintenance of expected behavior. You may well vilify the "Pcertified Psalmist Psociety" but somebody was onto the right idea. The fault that it has gone astray can best be set on the shoulders of those who have not engaged the program and worked to improve it.
  • Pes
    I've attended a Southern Baptist church a few times with relatives, and the cantor there is the MD, who stands at the podium, front and center, and directs the congregational singing by singing, gesturing, etc. Behind and above him, flanking him on either side, are enormous LCD screens upon which are projected the words of the songs being sung, usually superimposed on a suitably inspirational background, such as sunlit clouds. In addition to this, there is a rather large organ, blasting away at full volume, and a grand piano, ringing in the changes and providing inspirational arpeggios. This, on an ordinary Sunday. On special occasions, there is, in addition, any number of instruments, ranging from horn trio to electric bass and drums. On all occasions, the congregation is joined in its singing by a massive choir, seated behind the MD on a massive backstage set of bleachers.

And yet, after services, I've heard old-timers say that the congregation doesn't sing like it used to.

You don't say ...
  • pirorstf, I can fully understand why and how acoustics could change everything. Must be very frustrating for you.
  • CharlesW
    My cantors - at the 3 non-choir masses where they are needed - are in the choir loft with me. It's a "live" gothic building with both reverberation and time-delay between front and back. The choir loft position works best for us, and those who object can just get over it. Having the cantors in the back also discourages them from performing.
  • I think a great deal of the difficulty with cantors (as opposed to song leaders) lies in what they're given to sing. Whether it's Respond & Acclaim or Guimont, etc., the music often doesn't make sense. The congregational "response" is inconclusive, being neither modal nor necessarily tonally "complete." The part for the cantor hops up and down with wide interval leaps and mysterious "modern" harmonizations running along underneath, especially in the more advanced settings. And no, I won't even talk about the quality of the translations.

That's why the Chabanal project and Paul Ford's work are so valuable. They are straightforward and text-focused.
  • francis
    mj:

I am totally with you. What is with the quirky melodies/harmonies? The psalm tones just can't be improved upon for psalm singing.
  • mjballou hits the nail on the head....and I cannot get that across to the cantors who love to sing the OCP psalms, and often end up doing them poorly, in their own opinion....

Placement...we are going historic...either from the loft behind the people....or on a step at the altar....never from the pulpit, and not when on the step. facing the people, but facing across the sanctuary, slightly tilted toward the people....

At choir mass we will be singing them antiphonally across the transepts.
  • The lead in from the verse to the antiphon is crucial.

1) The music needs to make sense - to the least versed person in the congregation, relying on the universality of the music.
    2) As Dr. Marier did in "Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles", it is a great help for the antiphon starting note to be play in the tenor octave approximately one beat before the congregation is to come in, and the rest of the accompaniment with them. It's a simple technique. But it's much easier if there is a solid, simple, musical connection between the verse and antiphon.