Lenten choral music with accompaniment
  • Heath
    I usually do nearly all a cappella music for Lent, but I'd like to find a piece or three with accompaniment to trot out this Lent. Any suggestions?
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Would this Lorenzo Perosi work with organ (Ave Verum Corpus) appeal to you?

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/pero-ave.pdf
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Heath, my setting of Let thy Blood in mercy poured, while actually a hymn, can be done as a motet for Lent, too.
  • Having done Charles' Let thy Blood in mercy poured as a motet last Lent (and planning on repeating it this Lent), I highly recommend it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • If one is looking at works in English and including rather neo-Romantic 20th century composers, I recommend:
    John Ness Beck, A Hymn to God the Father (both SATB and TTBB versions; ravishing; the accompaniment is really pianistic but if done on organ with the panache of, say, the 'graves opening' section of the Dubois, is fabulous--the wretchedness of sin winding and crashing its way through our lives is absolutely in there)

Craig Courtney, None Other Lamb (also makes a good solo or duet)

Mark Hayes, Lenten Song (with oboe obbligato; I use flute because our organ is one manual; don't be put off by his usual oeuvre)

The Salieri passacaglia De profundis is also very good in Lent, even though the specific text does not appear in the propers.

Off the top of my head and, of course, YMMV.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • francis
    RJS... that is a very nice AV. Thanks. Hopefully I can employ this one this year.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • francis
    I have an Ave Verum, but it is a bit of a challenge. Can be done with or without accomp.

http://www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/aveVerumCorpus.html
    Thanked by 1donr
  • donr
    Very beautiful Francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PC, I'm gladdened that you mention those two American composer/arrangers, Courtney and Hayes. They are among a throng of very understanding and not uninspired crafters whose aspirations may be to enable lesser ensembles to still reach for excellence. Lots of Hayes are far from walks in the park. But among those folk, and others like Jos. Martin, John Leavitt and Hal Hopson, there can be found much more than dross if one knows what to listen for.
    In the upper level I'd also include Stephen Paulus (A Lenten Carol is quite accessible) and works by Randall Stroope and Mary Caldwell.