Funeral Book for NO Masses
  • To build our way would it not make sense to have a download of a CMMA-created funeral booklet for the congregation with SIT/STAND instructions, instructions for communion and the music....plus an organist and cantor/choir copy. By doing this, making it easy for the church to print and use would give something solid...and make it available printed for them as well.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • BenBen
    Latin/english would be great. Since it is a requiem Mass, it could include the ICEL chants and jubilate deo chants, and actually have them sung in their proper context!

Would a full side-by-side latin/english make sense, or do you think that would be overkill? How many priests actually celebrate a large part of the OF in latin for funerals?
  • BenBen
    I could help compile and typeset this if others can help compile texts, and write up the instructions...
  • Almost...none....but you bring up a good point - two books, one for the NO and one for the EF. The EF really needs it too - as in a related discussion - this is the time to reach visitors.
  • BenBen
    I'm assuming it should have the missal music for the dialogs, no?
  • For the dialogues, yes, please print it. And print the amens, since most people have no clue.
  • Is this meant to be a general funeral book or a guidebook?

If it is a general book, in the OF I would provide the propers in English and Latin, as well as Gregorian Chant Mass XVIII. I would also provide a number of hymns in the back, since it is permitted to substitute a hymn over the propers. You know the sort often used at funerals - Amazing Grace, Abide With Me, etc and a couple of communion hymns such as "Soul of my Saviour".
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Don't forget On Eagle's Wings! :)

Seriously though, such a book would be useful. OCP offers something similar but it's filled with their stuff. Problem is, with so many choices for the psalm response etc. I don't know how to boil it down into something that is both useful and practical.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Can the choices. Make one choice, go with it. This IS what DM's want. Guidance, simple and easy. I'd can Amazing Grace first when it came to hymns. Do not include any music that we argued over when we did PBEH, even though some of it got in.

A simple guide for the Mass that also explains the order - explaining the Eulogies are fodder for the funeral home or graveside, but not at Mass...all these things would help. Making it done, ready to use, means that it would take work to change and most will go with it as it is....happy not to have to do On Eagles....

IN FACT, prepare a guide for the Funeral Director and family, listing all the music that they can choose to do at the wake/viewing/drive-in funeral window.

Smart DM's will grasp this and their guitars as they arrive with the priest at the funeral home and receive a generous check in a plain white envelope when they leave.

Notice to funeral directors:

Funerals at St. ______________ Church.

You will have the opportunity to host eulogies, the saying of the Rosary, and Catholic songs and hymns at the calling hours. We will be glad to provide the information you need to print out the song sheets the family requests and provide the singers and musicians for the standard fees if you request.

The Funeral Mass will begin on time and be very consistent about the length of time it will take, since there will be no eulogies at the Mass. They are not permitted as part of the Catholic tradition. This will make it easier for you to schedule the graveside services, and we know that you will appreciate this effort on our part as well.

At the Funeral Mass we will distribute booklets to assist the Catholics and especially the non-Catholics attending in understanding and following the Funeral Mass, which has been a Catholic tradition for centuries. There is no substitution or singing of musical requests at the Catholic Mass; this is where you are able to provide service to the family to make sure that any special music that they wish to hear and sing is during the viewing.

For those if you who are not Catholic, we welcome you to come and meet with us so that we can explain what goes on at a Catholic funeral - as you know, when the casket enters the church, it is covered with a traditional religious pall and it does not enter or leave alone, rather it is accompanied by the priest as it comes in and leaves, at which point it is entrusted to your care. There are reasons for everything that happens at a Catholic funeral and we feel that the more you understand, the better you will be able to serve those families who entrust their family member to your care.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • BenBen
    agreed, pick the most common option, or maybe the most 2 common options. But having all the options would be too confusing, which would defeat the point.
  • If a family does a web search for Catholic Funeral Readings, the first choice on Google tonight is:

http://fathergilles.net/GoodNews/Funeral_Rdgs_Ord_Time_Ref.pdf

Of the psalms he lists, Psalm 23 is repeated a couple of times. The others are not exactly comforting...I see no reason to provide them as a choice. Using 23rd will pleasantly surprise Non-Catholics and comfort Catholics...MeloFluent, opinion, please?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I like the streamlined approach to provide a sacred funeral Mass. It's an excellent goal, but would require lots of catechesis. This would also have to come from the Bishop and be required in all local parishes. Otherwise you will have people shopping around for a church that will allow twaddle and boom boxes and mementos being presented at offertory.
  • Getting bishops to agree? Like herding cats. Waste of time, just irritates them. This has to be an individual parish thing. Funeral directors are the key. They want control, they do not want to pay drivers and handy men and grave diggers to stand around while the Mass drags on and on and on....and you have to admit, it would be MUCH easier on the family to be able to attend Mass and go on, having the extreme emotions during the eulogies over and done with. How many eulogies end up involving laughter in your church?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The EF already has such a book:
    http://www.aquinasandmore.com/catholic-books/latin-english-requiem-tridentine-booklet-missal/sku/19263

Since there are little to no options (unless you're doing polyphony, and even then the text should be the same) in the EF Requiem, these can be used for every single Funeral.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I do agree that an OF version of the above book would be a great thing for non-Catholics and non-practicing Catholics who are at an OF Requiem.
  • chonakchonak
    I guess you'd better design it with the expectation that people will keep it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you have two folks by the door "collecting" them as part of being hospitable, you'll only lose 1 or 2 per large funeral.
  • BenBen
    I'm starting to put this together, and as I start to notate the dialogs, the question arose to me: solemn tone, simple tone, or both?

My first inclination was to include both, but if we want to keep it simple, maybe it'd be better not to include both, and the celebrant will simply know to use one tone or the other at funerals.

Maybe even have two versions of the final book? It wouldn't be too much extra work.

Thoughts?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not surprisingly, Noel, Ps23 is virtually the only one we ever use, so I'm in complete concord. Occasionally when one encounters liturgically-minded family coordinators, I do welcome their options if licit. Regarding 23 (and all psalms) I do exhort using only the approved text settings and not any allusions or paraphrases. Even the warhorse Owen Alstott has a noble simplicity over SMOG and others. OTOH, I have concurred with using such a paraphrase, such as Walker's "Because the Lord is my shepherd..." at the Offertories of funerals of children and infants. If you know the version, you can surmise the complicity.
    I have another suggestion for the dismissal. Make it clear that "In paradisum" (chant only) must be the first (if not only) text sung after the commendation, and then list a number of hymn options that could be segued to in relation to whatever key center is tied best to the modal center of the mixolydian final. If it's chanted in DMix, it can be tied to OEW or "Shall we gather at the river" for all I care, and so on for Eb/F etc. If we can stomach (and we must) "Amazing grace" using another universal, theologically inoffensive hymn text partnered to our rubrical chant could be another evangelizing opportunity.
    YMMV.

PS for Ben: you might want to check the English for the 23 responsorial, unless the psalmist, in fact, requires a scribe, notary public or stenographer! ;-)
  • BenBen
    I'm thinking of ideas for an appendix in the back (for parishes that want to use hymns).

That way, the propers would be primary, and with the ordinary so they are easy to see, but hymns could also be used without having to use multiple books, or worrying about the contents of the current hymnal in the church.

-Introit, offertory, and communion antiphons from by flowing waters (some priests want the congregation to sing the propers if they are going to be sung, so it's probably worth half-a-page to put it in there)
    -english and latin versions of the "in paradisum" (I'm thinking the english version from the VII hymnal)
    -a hymn-introit from kathy (requiem aternum)
    -a limited selection of hymns (maybe 10 or 20? it would depend on how much space is left in the booklet, since lulu only allows 88 pages in this format, unless you want to go all out and make a hardcover book. I think they'll be at least 20 pages at the end, though, at this rate)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • What chants would we include?

SEP and Graduale Simplex immediately spring to mind. How about Psalm-Tone propers as a suppliment for occasions when the "choir" needs something very simple?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    For a practical congregational worship aid, I think less is more. I would style it after the Lumen Christi missal. Give the congregation what it needs: the order of service with the vernacular texts to the propers (with Latin incipits, perhaps), responses to the dialogues and musical notation to the ordinary (here perhaps both Latin and English for the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. Maybe a small appendix of common hymns. A separate choir/organist book could be prepared that had the music for various forms of the propers etc. The people won't likely sing the antiphons even if notation is provided, and if simple musical settings are used then they might be able to pick it up with text only. If the people's book becomes too comprehensive, however, it will be that much less user friendly. I love my unabridged Oxford Book of Carols as a desk reference, but it's not a good performance edition.
  • BenBen
    Earl,

I'm not saying I think that people will sing the antiphons, I'm just saying it might be worth putting them in (if there's space) to appease those pastors who want people to have them (and those who complain that they can't sing what is being sung).

Hartley,

Yes, I hope to put together a cantor/organist edition that includes:

-SEP
    -Graduale Romanum propers
    -latin and english ordinary parts
    -Accompaniments for all the above
    -The dialogs of the Mass

I'm also thinking about transcribing all the cantor parts into modern notation. My thinking is that any cantor who knows neumes could get the scores for the propers in neumes, and if they're in modern notation, maybe some cantors who wouldn't otherwise do them would be able to. Or maybe I'm over-thinking this, and anyone who'd buy this resource would know neumes well enough to use them? Thoughts?
  • Multiple versions of the congregational booklet - plug in the various choices....possibly get permission to include BFW - let the church purchase BFW for the organist, choir and cantors to get permission to use the download BFW version.

Thanked by 1chonak
  • BFW?
  • gregpgregp
    By Flowing Waters
  • Jani
    *BUMP*

Has any progress been made here? Second funeral in a month is coming up; the church will be filled with (75+) non-Catholics..... Verbal explanations are impractical and I just do not have the organizational skills to write something up. Thanks!