participatio actuosa
  • Below is an example of the thousands of SPAM messages CCW receives.

I am . . . in awe at how smart these SPAM people are getting.

Are you?

Miral (m.smeenk@sportservice-ede.nl) wrote:

in a recent article, Pius XI contrasts [in Divini Cultus, 1928] being detached and silent not with loudness or some other externally quantifiable sign, but with being filled with the liturgy's splendor. The opposite of liturgical inactivity is not, as some might expect, the external activity of voice or movement, but the internal wonder born of experiencing beauty; and if the externals are to be encouraged, it is for the sake of vivifying the internal. The point he is making is this. That participatio actuosa isn't just being active and making the action your prayer. The point is that FIRST, one has to stop, consider his prayer, actually pray, then make the responses. For even if one makes the actions his prayers, it isn't enough, becuase the internal aspect of the prayer being offered isn't happening. To use the new-ish concept, one cannot worship properly at Mass, unless his soul is engaged with his action. And the soul has to engage FIRST.Foley goes on to say, Pope Pius XII's encyclical Mediator Dei (1947) articulates a similar understanding. Pius XII commends active and individual participation through which the members of the Mystical Body . . . become daily more like to their divine Head. He too warns the faithful not to participate in the Eucharistic sacrifice in an inert and negligent fashion, giving way to distractions and day-dreaming, but with earnestness and concentration. Note again the emphasis on mental presence. [...]Pius XII's encyclical is the first to give us the full Latin term for active participation: actuosa participatio. Again, note the wording: When translating the Italian partecipazione attiva into Latin, the normative language of the universal Church, the pope could have chosen activa as the adjective but he did not. He speaks instead of actuosa participatio, which is better translated into English as actual participation (and here I must express my profound gratitude to Dr. Daniel Van Slyke for this insight). Again, even as this idea of particpatio actuosa is being developed, it is clear that there is a distinction between mere activity and true worship. As Foley points out, Pope Pius XII could have used activa, but he did not. He used actuosa, for in Latin, there are more precise words than in English. The term actuosa means something more internal.My final point, Foley expounds, Vatican II wanted to see the congregation involved in the responses and singing (see no. 30), but it did so for the sake of this internal, actual participation, not as an end unto itself. Vatican II did not abolish papal teachings on actual participation; it presupposed them. It presupposed them. This then begs the question, why was it so muddied? The answer seems easy enough, but in reality, it isn't. The answer is that the CONTROLLING bodies within the various bishop's councils were in lock-step. It is they who are to blame. Yes, the bishops are culpable, because in the end, they knew better and I daresay most know better today, but the idea of creating a new vision for the liturgical action trumped everything and in haste, the Spirit of Vatican II flew out the windows when they let the fresh air in. We must work to get our pastors to buy into the proper attitudes AND FOLLOW THROUGH!!!! We MUST become the leaders that take over. We have to understand that worshipping is the role of the faithful in the pew. Serving is reserved to those at the altar and the priest is the mediator of our worhsip. This is the paradigm and this is where we have to lead our pastors. They cannot make changes until they understand AND embrace this.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    long, rambling, filled with understandable and relevant phrases but otherwise completely incoherent...

Are you sure that is spam, or just a post from one of our forum regulars?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Adam. Nice, real nice.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • it is SPAM. we get tons of it. I think the SPAM engines are crawling documents, blogs, etc.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know it's spam- i deal with it too.
    (Should have used purple...)
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Was this followed by a link to a foreign pharmacy?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I get a lot of "buy designer handbag" linkspam on my blog. Don't know why...
  • canadashcanadash
    I think that is amazing! What is the point of it exactly? Do "spammers" make money or just find pleasure in annoying people?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They make money. The economics are fascinating- the sales rates for this stuff are drastically low- but the cost is also ridiculously low (most of the computing power is stolen) and the volume is incredibly high, so they make money. A lot of it, too.
  • Ally
    People actually buy their stuff?? Wow.
  • The phenomenon Adam accurately descibed above is sometimes called the "long tail": further description here.
  • Manimomoa (rowehd@aol.com) wrote:

Given the topic of music, which I am no expert, other than I can sing, what has not been disscused in any comments to any posts is the nature of sacred music as it pertains to the formal liturgies of the Church such as the Mass and Liturgy of the Hours and music as it pertains to popular devotions. Prior to Vatican II in this country and elsewhere there was a rich, vernacular musical repretorie for popular devotions, especially Marian devotions. After Vatican II, these devotions for the most part disappeared. However, the music of these devotions found their way into the Mass, sometimes prior to the Council (the fours hymns allowed in the vernacular)and after the Council. In terms of the popular devotional music, I think of populist hymns such as Mother Dearest etc, what some would call kitsch, I believe. I'm also thinking more in terms of easy, catchy melodies rather than just the words used.My question to musicians is, have we foregone the legitimate use of what some would call kitsch (I don't' know abut the spelling here) for popular devotions since these do not exist as they once did, and allowed for it to be incorporated into the Liturgy, albeit, now Christological but set to very catchy and emotionally satisfying tunes of the kitsch genre? I'm just asking the question, not being divisive.
  • Julianti (hosokawa@fromto.cc) wrote:

Wishing your beautiful cmnmuoity existed 20 years ago. Having enetered a cloister, but developing health issues in first vows, I had to leave. My heart has been broken and aching ever since. Your contemplative cmnmuoity existing then might have made a vocation a reality for me. Having a religious vocation is such a blessing and I continue to long for that life that escaped me. Grace and peace +
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I guess I owe "Julianti" a debt of gratitude. Now Adam Wood can rest assured that these long tailed spams (I still don't get the impetus for such) are not to be confused with my incoherent and verbose commentary here, as my vocation is one of marriage, not of religious orders.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • rogue63
    So....what are they asking you to buy? It's not clear to me that these are not legitmate e-mails, at least from these examples. They are certainly verbose, but I am too. Am I missing something?