Digital Organ Advice Sought
  • Our chapel organ has given out and we are looking to replace it with a new digital instrument. The models we're considering are the Allen Chapel CF-2a, Johannus Studio 170, and Rodgers 538. These are the only models in our current price range as we're still paying off our main organ. All of them have internal speakers, non-AGO pedalboards (either fewer or shorter keys), and ten-year warranties. I'm not sure about the Rodgers, but the Allen and Johannus are both compatible with pipes being added at any time.

Our chapel seats about 100 and has fine acoustics. My experience with the most recent generation of digital organs is limited. I've played a fair number of 80s and 90s Allen and Rodgers models and have found things I liked and disliked about each. Does anyone have recommendations concerning these brands and particular models? Many thanks in advance!
  • redsox1
    I'd go for the Rodgers. I think their sampling is far superior to that of Allen. A church where a friend of mine ministers bought a Johannus for their chapel. They have had a tough time with it because the construction was not of the highest quality. Now, that was several years ago. Perhaps things have changed. While my preference would clearly be for the Rodgers in terms of sound, ultimately, I think it is important to have a dealer who is going to give you the best service. If it turns out that the best dealer locally sells Allen organs, that might tip the scales in their favor.
  • CharlesW
    Frogman Noel has been in the digital organ business for years, and is someone you should definitely chat with. He would be a good source of information.
  • The Rodgers 538 is a legacy product - you do not want a 538 - it has been replaced with the Roland C-330, which has a standard European BDO 30 note, parallel, concave radiating sharps pedalboard.

Redsox1 is correct. Though I prefer the Rodgers for a number of reasons, if the dealership in your area seems lacking...you may visit other dealers in the region and, by your travel there and walking in their door, they are permitted to sell to you.

I'd suggest the C-330 with the CM-200 subwoofer....this gives you 7 channels of audio, and as Francis knows, the more independent audio channels, the better to sound.

In addition, the Roland/Rodgers organs have a unique educational system to prepare your organists for mastering the instruments. In the industry, it appears that Roland/Rodgers may have the edge on educational materials.

I suggest that you make a day of it and hit all three companies and play all the organs you are considering, as sound is the only criteria. If price is upper mount in anyone's mind, the Rodgers is always a bit more expensive.

Anyone needing info on instruments, I am always able to help. noel@frogmusic.com
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    A little sneaky plugging with that "unique educational system" there, huh, frogman? :)

• francis
    roland... by far... you will need to voice it and place the speakers however... noel or i will help you place and voice the instrument... 90% of installers don't know the finesse of placing digital organ speakers and voicing the console... get an expert or you will be installed but will never be musical.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Sneaky" suggests non-obvious.
  • Thanks, Ben and Adam. I work hard to try to keep a set of rotating hats to make sure that I don't step over the line. I did an AGO presentation last month about taking the AGO Exams, and insisted on having it at a local church with a pipe organ by a local builder who is internationally known, for the same reason.

By the way anyone want to download a free Catholic Choirbook or buy one? Catholic Choirbook

Sorry if that was obvious!
  • francis
    Just because Noel knows about a fantastic deal and a good sound (and happens to represent it), doesn't mean he is being sneaky. He is trying to help. Period. If it puts money in his pocket, well we, if anyone, should be behind him. So take advantage of the resource while you've got it!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No objection from me. (and i assumed none from ben)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Voicing will make or break it. There are a lot of Rodgers in my area and none of them seem to be voiced properly and I don't like the internal reverb. That being said, I went with Allen and am very happy with the sound of the instrument we have (it's a larger 3-manual, haven't heard or played the chapel series), but I may have been persuaded otherwise had I heard a better voiced instrument.
  • BenBen
    No objection. Noel is a great contributor here, and elsewhere with his materials! I didn't mean sneaky with any sort of negative connotation...
  • TCJ
    I have a Johannus Studio 170 and I'm happy with it for a home organ. I've no idea how it would work in a larger environment however, and I also cannot compare it to the other organs mentioned. My only real experience with Rodgers has been to play an old one from the 70's. And yes, my Johannus sounds better than that one!
  • My two-manual Allen has always served me admirably (I've had it for around three years now in my apartment, with headphones) and it far surpasses the Johannus with which I had previously lumbered myself.
  • CharlesW
    Noel knows his stuff. When I first met him, I thought he was a smart-a*s. I later discovered that he is a smart-a*s, but also a pretty good guy who genuinely tries to be helpful. LOL.
  • redsox1
    I actually played a Roland C330-pretty impressive stuff. Great sounds. Since it wasn't listed, it escaped my mind, and of course, Roland owns Rodgers. Can you upgrade the keyboards? That was the one area I wasn't so thrilled about. I know, something has to give when it comes to keeping the price competitive.
  • Not at this point, however, they do have tracker touch standard.

All Rodgers tone generation has been replaced over the last 2 years to use the same sound generation in the C-330.

See paragraph after next for Chant-related info.

All of the Roland and Rodgers church organs are set up for using Hauptwerk at no additional cost with midi and external audio input and output standard. This is not to promote HW, but to make the organs compatible with add-on MIDI and Audio equipment. And, best of all, headphone jacks!

The reverberation unit is designed for symphony orchestra use for outdoor venues, working on 4 channels to create surround sound for families picnicking outside the pavilions used by major orchestras. I mention it here because in miserable acoustic situations we have dropped a few microphones over a choir and run the choir through the system too, not amplifying the choir, but adding ambiance that carpet, pew cushions and bad architecture denies us. If you get into a situation where this might help, adjust it just until you notice it if it is turned off.
  • CharlesW,

Thanks, this may be one of the best compliments I've heard in my life and, sadly, is very accurate!

• CharlesW
    Noel, it takes one to know one, so we are a lot alike in that regard. As far as you being helpful, that is all true.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yikes! ... I thought Digital Organ Advice here would be DOA.
  • CharlesW
    It would be great if all churches had pipe organs, but I am pretty sure many organists here play digital instruments. Fortunately, at church I have pipes, but I have a Rodgers at home as a practice instrument. Someone like Noel or Francis can tweak the digitals and make them sound much better than the off-the-shelf sounds they ship with. Are they ideal? No, but sometimes it is a case of working with what you have.
  • redsox1
    I played some pretty convincing Walker digital organs while I lived in western PA. One was in a stunning acoustic and it was entirely based on E.M and Aeolian-Skinner samples. It was a lot of fun to play. Small ensembles were particularly life-like. However, as you got closer to tutti you started to lose the acoustical energy that is generated from pipes. Still, the console was well-crafted, and the samples were beautifully voiced. I would have been much happier with it than the crappy 1972 Moller I suffered with every day.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Audio in/out would be a nice feature--espcially to practice with headphones. I don't hace a practice instrument and it can be akward rehearsing in church when people are trying to pray in quiet. Allen has the capability but it didn't come standard and it's quite an expensive add on. I also have a synth with nice orchestra samples which would sound even better through the organ speakers than my keyboard amp.

And for the record I would still prefer pipes and mostly a cappella chant and polyphony, but one might as well make the most of a given situation.
  • Pipe organs are just like digital organs. There are excellent ones, average ones and ones that no one wants to play.
  • doneill
    As an alternative, you could check the Organ Clearing House website for a small pipe organ that would be suitable for a chapel: http://www.organclearinghouse.net/
  • The Organ Clearing House does great work, I've known John Bishop for about forty years after driving him and my wife to Oberlin from Cleveland in my MGB...after his audition to replace me a Calvary Presbyterian when I left for Pittsburgh then Italy.

The expense of installation and ongoing maintenance of a pipe organ, even a small one aside from the purchase cost, requires the firm support of the pastor, sadly something that is rare today.
  • There is also a prevailing myth that electronic organs never need tuning or maintenance.

There is a hybrid organ at a church not far from me. The Great Diapasons from 8' to mixture are real pipes and so is the unenclosed festival trumpet on the swell manual. The electronic components have constant ongoing problems. They installed a new amplifier last week. Several months ago the 16' Bordoun wasn't working because of a lightening strike of all things!

Electronic instruments do need to be regularly checked by a technician as any number of things can still go wrong with them.
  • Hartley's right, periodic checks of the physical instrument are very useful.

Checking the pedalboard tension - since it relies on springs, the tension can diminish with use, but so gradually you don't notice it. And then your playing gets sloppy...if you live a long way from the tech, the tech may be willing to teach you how to do an annual check of this and adjust yourself.

Also, there are a lot of switches and buttons...it is worth having a knowledgeable tech/organist go through and play it. They may catch things that you just never use that could use help, as well as explain functions that you may be unaware of.

I recently visited a large III manual to find that the Choir EXP pedal was inoperable. The organist didn't know, as he uses ALL SWELLS to SWELL all the time....

Lightning will do one of two things: 1. Cause things not to work. That's fixable. 2. Cause things to work on their own...including playing by itself, turning on and off by itself. They become possessed because the logic is blown. Non-fixable. Had one recently that would turn itself on and set stops before the organist got the roll top open...

Hartley, that organ is undoubtedly shot.

Pipe organs increasingly use digital control systems and are subject to the same danger of lightning. Unplugging the organ is not much of a preventative....since lightning can travel in "clouds" that affect everything in its way. In fact, it is possible that keeping the organ plugged in might reduce the chance slightly, since the ground could drain away the charge prior to damage.

The only difference between modern (non-tracker) pipe and digital organs comes after the digital circuitry for the keyboards, stops, and pistons which all works essentially the same on digital or pipe organs. Then all that information either triggers pipes to play or a digital stops to play.
  • I am somewhat in favour of non-digital electronic organ console controls.

I am generally in favour of mechanical tracker action, but this carries the difficulty in that the action can get very heavy, especially when you start coupling divisions together.

It is also possible to use electric solenoids to operate pistons. One old organ I played has a switch panel which you use to set the pistons - electric, but not digital.

I am also certain that it is possible for some sort of diode matrix to control electric solenoids pulling on the pallets.
  • francis
    It is also possible to power the bellows with your church mice. They check into the mouse wheels, but they can't check out!
  • CharlesW
    Let me have the Harrison & Harrison at Coventry, and you can keep your pallets and trackers.
  • Often the digital samples as solos are exciting but the ensemble sound deteriorates as the stops are added. We voiced our digital organ to achieve a good ensempbel sound at the expense of some solo brilliance. That is why you may need a larger stop list or multiple voicings.
  • CharlesW
    At some point, it seems that speakers never quite deliver the sound that comes from pipes.
  • francis
    CharlesW

You have to have an array... like Trinity in New York, or Ave Maria in Florida. Check out their installations.

check this array... at about 1:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKtSb3hv5Q&feature=player_embedded#!
  • CharlesW
    The thing that amazes me, is that some of the bigger electronics stray into pipe organ prices. I can't believe what some churches will pay for them.
  • Agreed - Why spend so much money on an electronic instrument when your needs would best be served by a slightly smaller acoustic instrument?

Most parish churches would be best served by a modest 2-manual instrument of about 22 ranks.
  • Francis, haven't you done the math on this recently?
  • CharlesW
    Francis, I have heard the one at Trinity. They need to bring back the Skinner.
  • CharlesW
    Hartleymartin, I have seen some well-designed 12-14 rank instruments that were adequate for any demands that would be placed on them.