Programing a voluntary...
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am considering playing Messiaen's "Dieu parmi nous" as a closing voluntary sometime during Christmas. Would it be wise to use it as a second voluntary at one of the Christmas day Masses, or should I hold onto it for another day (Jan. 1st?).

(FYI : each of the three Christmas masses have a fist closing voluntary that I play every year, e.g. Midnight : Bach's "In dulci jubilo", the second changes every year.)
  • GavinGavin
    Why would you use two postludes? I would think the Messiaen would be too long, especially after a second piece. Maybe Epiphany?
  • If you normally play stunning, dissonant, modern French organ works after Mass....sure, why not.

But if you don't, may I ask why you are playing it? I'm curious.
    Thanked by 2Ben francis
  • CharlesW
    I use short postludes. The congregation is gone before I finish, anyway. You wouldn't believe elderly people could move that fast!
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Gavin
  • Must be you CW. I play louder and louder and they just won't go away.
  • CharlesW
    Nah, things should be so easy - although I used to pull on the dreaded Mixture Horribilis III, to get Last-Verse O'Neil off the altar when he was the associate pastor. These days, the sermons are looooooooong! The congregation is more than ready to leave by the time I get to the postlude.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    i often program In dir ist Freude, BWV 615 (Bach, Johann Sebastian)

the mess seems more apprapro as a concert work and a bit esoteric for liturgy in my thinking
  • SalieriSalieri
    The two-postlude thing happened by accident one year after midnight Mass: I played (Bach "In dulci"), finished, everyone was still in the church (talking, mostly, unfortunately), the "lock-up ladies" looked antsy to get home, so I played something else to try to cover some of the noise and get the talkers out, it worked well; I did it on Christmas day, and a 'tradition' started. Now, after six years, many people politely stay to listen to both voluntaries. The second is more modern (nothing earlier than Franck).

I was also thinking about Jan. 1st or Epiphany and using as the only postlude (normally I only play one!) because of the length of the piece.

I personally love Messiaen; and I do play a lot of modern music. I've been slowly streaching the ears of the people - when I started playing here nine years ago Sweelinck was dissonant to some, and still is! - and have thought of doing "Dieu parmi nous" for about three years now, and now might be the time to do it.

Francis, I will definitely investigate "In dir ist Freude".
  • francis
    Salieri:

Bish plays it too fast on YouTube. Let's see if I can find a good performance.

Here is a not too bad rendition (a little flat), but a gorgeous tracker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipe6AB1n6_U

This one is nice, a bit too much rubato however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lCg4FJr3ys

Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Play the Messiaen for Christmas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    yea... play the mess. what the heck.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks all for your help, I just wanted to guage the reception among colleagues - if the general consensus seemed to be "Messiaen?! Why are you playing that?!?" I wouldn't bother.

Francis, thanks for the Bach. Wonderful piece to try some time.
  • francis
    yw... gotta love jsb
  • Why not Bach's In dulci for prelude before Adeste Fid
    and Messiean as the postlude.