Historical CMAA Photo
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I don't know how many of you share my interest in the amazing history of the CMAA, but for those of you who do, you might like this:

CMAA members in 1964

( Gavin is number 64 !! )
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I'm interested in the presence of Rembert Weakland, OSB in that pic, and the fact that he was associated with CMAA at that time. Msgr. Schuler's lengthy article ("Chronicle of the Reform") doesn't speak very highly of Weakland's efforts to advance the cause of the group Universa Laus, whose adversarial relationship with the Consociatio seemed by Schuler's accounts to be fairly deeply entrenched.

Things on a Saturday that make you go, "Hmmmm."
  • How can you speak about our first president that way? ;)
  • WGS
    Archbishop Weakland was replaced as president of the CMAA by Prof. Ted Marier as of Fall 1966. By the way, at that time there were three categories of membership: voting members, members and student members. The annual fees were: $10, $5 and $4.

An article written by Archbp. Weakland introduced the CMAA in the Spring 1965 issue of Sacred Music. Another article by him entitled Comments: State of the Question appeared in the Summer 1965 issue.

I don't have the Fall and Winter 1965 issues, but there is a subsequent article in Winter 1982 written by Msgr. Schuler and entitled: From the Editor: Archbishop Weakland. In reference to Archbp. Weakland's article in the January 1983 issue of Worship, Msgr. Schuler says: "What he writes reflects the era of the sixties. He is not up-to-date."
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Sorry, all. I didn't mean to send this thread down a rabbit hole.

There are others in this pic that are remarkable as well, including Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB, of St. Meinrad.