Missa de Angelis gilded like a lily.
  • canadashcanadash
    * Am I allowed to think that this is awful?
  • Yes, and you may also say it out loud. It's a high class example of what we usually see in the installation of Bishops in secular convention centers across the US. I think we invented it and it spread to Rome.

Reeks. This is what you get when you are unaware that you cannot fix things that are not broken.
  • GavinGavin
    The Vatican has arm-waving cantors - so shall we all!
  • canadashcanadash
    Whew! So afraid I had the wrong answer!

I'll have to show my cantors so they can email our priest and let him know that since arm waving is allowed at the Vatican.... He must rethink his no gesture policy...
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gild-the-lily.html

I was unfamiliar with this phrase also.
    Makes so much more sense now that I know frogman hasn't totally lost his mind.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CharlesW
    It doesn't sound great, but microphone placement can make or break a recording. We don't know if it was any better in person.
  • It still beats Mass of A Servant Church.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Ben francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Don't lay this flotsam on USA Catholicism, FNJ. This is endemic and Italianate, not unlike the 20th century attitude of young Roman bucks believing it their duty, not privilege, to physically pinch portions of an attractive female's person whenever it strikes their fancy. Did you ever read about this "masculine singing" musical troping occuring here in Tom Day's book? Cdl. Bartolucci, thanks....(sigh)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • rogue63
    Oh, come on, you buncha-somber-spoilsports! Sure, it's goopy and gushy, but it's not bad at all. I'd rather see a gilded lily than a gilded dog turd any day. There are better ways to sing a Sanctus---for example, simply as it is written---but this one doesn't go down as a strike in my book. More like a BB.
  • Oh, come on, you buncha-somber-spoilsports!

Think about this, when you gild a lily, the lily dies.

This is really, really bad music. Many composers have successfully incorporated chant in their works. This arrangement obliterated it. Bad taste, especially in front of a Pope who loves Mozart.

• chonakchonak
    Y'know, if you'd just click through to read the YouTube description for the video, you can find out that the "arm-waving cantors" are conducting the choirs seated in the nave: the event was connected with a congress of Pueri Cantores.

Also, the composer is the Cathedral Cantor at Essen, so I don't think we can blame it all on Italian musical preferences.

Considering that the Pope's last big visit to Germany subjected him to smooth jazz during Mass, this is an improvement!
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Having played (miserably) in a Hamburg Jazz club, [Denny's Swing Club and, no, there were no tips in my tip jar] I know that the Germans take jazz religiously. Obviously, too religiously.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • francis
    "If they had sung it a lot faster, it would have been better."

Mozart
  • It's pretty with the sound turned off.
  • chonakchonak
    I never realized that it was possible to make Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua boring.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Sad as it is, this is not surprising, is it? What is truly sad is that wouldn't we all be quite surprised, astounded, if we heard superbly done music of high repute coming from the Vatican?!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW