• incantuincantu
    Has anyone seen this posting on OCP?

Important Announcement - Vatican Directive
    On August 8, 2008, Bishop Arthur J. Serratelli of Paterson, N.J., chairman of the U.S. bishops’ Committee on Divine Worship, announced a new Vatican directive regarding the use of the name of God in the sacred liturgy. Specifically, the word “Yahweh” may no longer be “used or pronounced” in songs and prayers during liturgical celebrations.

This directive affects a handful of songs currently included in OCP missals. We are presently in the process of contacting composers and publishers regarding alternative language.

Unfortunately, at the time this directive was announced, most of our missals for the 2009 liturgical year were already printed and, in many cases, shipped. For that reason, the affected songs could not be changed or deleted from next year’s books. We are currently making plans to implement whatever changes are necessary in the 2010 missals, which we will be editing later this year.

Be assured that we will keep you up to date on this matter as the process for implementing this recently announced directive moves forward.

Is this true? Does anyone have this from a more reliable liturgical source?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Well, trust me, if OCP is making a dust-up over it, it must be true.

Just by the wording alone they make it clear that this was a ham-handed, onerous move on the part of the CDW, and they want to create a hue and cry over it.

I'll wait for more info, but I'm thinking to myself, to quote Mr. Burns, "Excellent."

UPDATE:

With a bit more searching, I discovered an article here: http://holycrossfamily.blogspot.com/2008/08/vatican-says-yahweh-not-to-be.html
    which references a news article over at Zenit on this issue.

Interesting.
  • CharlesW
    Yes, it's true. I guess this means no more joyous choruses of "Sitting on a log with Yahweh's dog" from Gather Reprehensive - sung with full and active participation by the faith community with guitar and bongo accompaniment. Next they'll take away the dancing nuns. What's the world coming to? ;-)
  • It is a very interesting thing. One sheet of paper, from one congregation, and it's done. No votes. No debate. No committees. No years of waiting.
  • CharlesW
    It's the old formula for success. Leaders + spines = results
  • Leland
    You just sing "Adonai" (יהוה) wherever the printed text says "Yahweh" (יהוה). It's that easy.

Leland
    Baptist layman (i.e., not subject to the ruling referred to)
  • incantuincantu
    Um, doesn't "Adonai" have three syllables and "Yahweh" only two? Or have I been saying them incorrectly? I think the proper thing to do with "You are Near" is to remove the vowels from "Yahweh," so it becomes "YHWH." In fact, I think a good number of OCP songs would benefit from having all the vowels removed.
  • mlabelle
    LOL incantu

Anyway, I think "You are Near" is going to feature "Father" instead of "Yahweh".
  • Leland
    Actually "Adonai" properly has four syllables; in Hebrew the i is a full vowel, not a semivowel offgliding from the second a, yielding a diphthong, the way we usually treat it in English and Latin. So if "Yah" and "weh" is each sung to a quarter note, say, each syllable of "Adonai" would be sung to an eighth note.

Leland
  • incantuincantu
    Hmm, Bernstein sets "Adonai" with three syllables in Chichester Psalms, and he was a Jew. I don't the English-speaking Catholics need to be quite so picky with pronunciation. Either way, three syllables or four, I don't think "Adonai is the God of my Salvation" is going to work. The good news is this represents no great loss to the treasury of Catholic sacred music.
  • Leland
    You're probably right, though the word "Adonai" (not YHWH) does occur in the O Antiphons; will check Veni Emmanuel to see how many syllables it's construed as... it's the A in the ERO CRAS.

Leland
  • incantuincantu
    And mlabelle, this might be a great opportunity for OCP to update their songs to language that is more "relevant" to today's youth. How about "Homeboy"? That's two syllables.

Homeboy, you're all up in here
    Cause you always got my back.
    When haters try and hate,
    And they ain't got respect, keep it real.

And while we're at it, can we change "Amen" to "True dat" and "Alleluia" to "Holla atcha"? That would really "speak" to me.
  • mlabelle
    ... once at a Catholic youth camp, we were encouraged to yell "HOLLA!" every time someone read from the Bible. It caught on quick enough, but obviously it didn't last.
  • incantuincantu
    Oh dear... then I shouldn't joke. Don't want to give anyone any ideas!
  • rrobbins
  • Leland
    Good question. Is Jehovah off-limits now? (¿Y las versiones castellanas o griegas?)

Leland
    Word, yo.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    incantu,

Done and ... done. I THINK that was a concert and not a liturgy. This is mass though. It's sure to get 'em singing!
  • incantuincantu
    Wow, thanks for introducing me to Fr. Stan. Actually, his "instructional Mass" contains a lot of information that I wish our congregation knew, and I wish our priests talked about. Unfortunately, though, it appears he did this in the context of an actual Mass...
    When was Willem Dafoe ordained, and when did he change his name to "Fr. Stan"?
  • chonakchonak
    OK, SCDW has banned "Sing to the Mountains" from the Mass, along with other songs that invoke the Holy Name YHWH, but why stop there?

I'll be impressed to see any diocese whatsoever direct parishes to actually implement that ruling.

Until then, "raise your glasses/lift your hearts..."
  • This discussion would NOT be complete without my bringing this to everyone’s attention:

I'll be impressed to see any diocese whatsoever direct parishes to actually implement that ruling.

I have absolutely no intention of waiting for the local ordinary to implement the ruling. It came from the "Home Office." If "middle-management" wants to ignore it, that's their business. As for me, I'll follow the ruling until I'm told not to.

I've been striking certain hymns and songs from our repertoire practically since I arrived two years ago. It started with "Ashes" because of the Pelagian heresy, right there in the first verse, big as life and twice as ugly. I continue to read hymn texts very carefully to ensure that the tenets of the faith aren't weakened or obscured.

Heresy is heresy. Liturgical abuse is liturgical abuse. A directive is a directive. If the local ordinaries wish to shirk their responsibilities, be it on their own heads.
  • GavinGavin
    Although I may be the lone voice of dissent, I rather disagree with this ruling. God's Name was given to us as a good thing; something to call upon, to rejoice in, a way to know the Eternal, a sign that we are His. We are not in the place of the Jews, with the system of sacrifice as a barrier to God, but are privy even to know His Trinity and our race being His dwelling in Our Lord Jesus Christ. Surely if these most holy Names are given to us to use, as any Christian does, the YHWH is not out of bounds either? I would say the use of Our Lord's Name is superior, as is the reference to the Most Holy Trinity, but God still revealed Himself by YHWH, so we shouldn't be ashamed to call upon it!

Indeed, let's teach reverence for all God's Names. How many of your parishioners bow their heads at the mention of Our Lord's name or the Holy Trinity at Mass? How many of you do it? The Name YHWH IS Holy, and as such I can agree that such music as "Sing a New Song" and "You Are Near" are nowhere near worthy of the Name. But what of the grand hymn "The God of Abraham Praise"? And while we are at it, what makes the name DNJC so base as to be uttered by sinful tongues? Or the three-fold Mystery? I say this ruling is just silliness, and we ought to promote the REVERENT USE of God's Name, rather suppress its usage altogether!!
  • I believe this only affects OCP; I know at least GIA or WLP, probably both, have editorial policies against the use of the tetragrammaton in texts that they publish.
    I was talking to my new pastor about this issue, and when he found out that "Sing A New Song" (St. Louis Jesuits) was one that was likely to be struck or rewritten (verse one begins, "Yaweh's people dance for joy . . .") his response was, "No great loss."

HA!

I can see that I'm in the hands of a good new boss here!

(He also said that supposed "eucharistic songs" like "Look Beyond the Bread You Eat" were a terrible distortion of the teachings of the Church and we should avoid singing them. I may find myself having to reinvent our repertoire before too long!)
  • miacoyne
    I hope we remember we are Catholics, means we obey the Church's rulings and trust Pope, whether we agree or not. The final decisions are made by the Church, not by the individuals. Some good songs have to sacrifice becuase of the misuse of others. It happens all the time. The Church mucicians are servants, and we are here to serve the Master and the Church. We might not see what the Chruch sees. Our faith is on the Pope and the Church that they have the special grace and the giudance of Holy Spirit to teach and lead the faithful. The Church was divided because some didn't agree with what the Church teaches. I truly hope we remain faithful to our Holy Church, and all the great musicians humble themselves to follow her.
  • GavinGavin
    Mia, following the Church doesn't mean you do whatever anyone within the border of the city of Rome says. Take a look at the discussions here on the Sequence at the OF Requiem, or even CHANGING THE PROPERS at Assumption for the EF! I'm questioning the theology underlying this decision because I disagree with it. Practically, I have no recourse to obey or disobey (except in private, and as I said I prefer the Name of Our Lord or the Most Holy Trinity to that given to Moses) since I am unemployed, and most of my job prospects are either in protestant churches or as one without authority. It is my hope that a discussion of the theology behind the Name of God will be fruitful in creating understanding, and could possibly lead to a reconsidering of the decision. Just as I'm sure Jeffrey Tucker would like a discussion on the Signum Magnum vs. the Gaudeamus for Assumption, or the place of the Sequence in the OF Requiem Mass.

Would I give the CDW the "non serviam" if I were at my old job? I don't know; I wouldn't go out of my way to program something containing the Name just to go against Rome, but I don't know if I wouldn't make pastoral provisions at funerals or use the before-mentioned hymn "The God of Abraham Praise" on occasion. And that's partially the nature of Roman Law - stating a preferred circumstance rather than an absolute. Again, I think this bears more discussion than "I'm so glad I have an excuse to not do You Are Near!!"
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I just had it happen to me. I volunteer for the Noon Mass weekdays, and there is a guitarist who makes it when he can. He's a very guy, and has a good voice, but he's straight out of the 1960s. I pick opening and closing hymns, and he does the Gospel Acclamation and picks a song for Communion. Well, he picked "You Are Near" today - and I informed him during the Presentation of the Gifts that it was no longer allowed. He was fairly incredulous, but picked something else. He asked the Pastor after Mass who confirmed that we should refrain from that refrain until further notice and/or update of the song. (He always seems to be amazed when I'm right about something!)
  • It just now occurs to me that one great aspect of this ruling is that it brings into question this genre of music, as if it can longer be wholly trusted to reflect the will of the Church. That is a real benefit.
  • Stella611
    I have to agree with Gavin on this one: why is it now bad to use Yahweh in our hymns? Isn't it a name for God in scripture? I am a bit confused...
    Why don't the leaders have a little MORE spine and actually have a ruling on more important musical matters, without having to have a "vote"?
  • It's about love, respect and relationship, I think. Using the Name seems to imply distance exactly when we ought to be drawing closer. And as for equality with God? His ways and thoughts are above ours, so why not his proper Name? if Jesus, the only-begotten Son of God, calls the Father by "Father" or "Abba", and if we are his adoptive children, should we not also refer to the Father as "Father," especially when addressing Him directly? Even when I talk about my own father, it's odd for me to use his first name when referring to him in the third person in speech. And when addressing him directly I could never use the "Simpsonian" approach - not that I watch the show religiously, but whenever this topic comes up, I'm reminded of Bart Simpson referring to his father as "Homer" time and time again...and it usually isn't in an endearing manner.

If I'm that sensitive about using the name of my procreator, how much more sensitive will I be about using the Name of my Creator, the Father of my father, etc.? The Jews had it right but didn't know why. We know why so it's best we get it right too.

So, for example, singing, "Abba, I know you are near*" would actually be an improvement IMO. (Results will, of course, vary by song.)

The practice of uttering The Name was an ill-conceived novelty, IMO; it's not bad now; it never was good, and renders our utterance of "hallowed by thy Name" as hypocritical.

*Dan, you're welcome. No royalties requested or desired.
  • miacoyne
    Our Pope wants to restore reverance in our Liturgy as you all know, and I think this is a good way of sending a message. Pope knknows many contemporary music went too far way from sasacredness. Maybe it seems to be a small matter, but it's like a etest for all the church musicians to show humility, and an eye opening for contemporary musicians. I'm sure it will make them ththink when they hear the message.
    I think this message is very clear and solid, no confusions about it. If there are things that musicicans are confused about, I'm sure you can try to find an answer with faith and hope. i remember from reading about Mother Teresa. When she tried to start a new order, it wasn't easy for her, because there were rurules and misunderstandings. But she did it by following the rules with patience and humility. It took a long, long time to get a permission, but she didn't go out and did it her own way even if she had a call from Jesus. She is an example of all the Catholics, especially these days when many smart and intellectual people are trying to do their own things. You can voice your opinions without breaking the rules. It just requires lots of patience and humility. But we have to remember the final decisions are made by the authority of the Church, not by the individuals. Faith is about doing things that you don't even see. Maybe sometimes a blind person can see things better than people who can see, because of his trust and the wisdom.
  • Jan
    I don't recall any Catholic Church hymns which used the Name (YHVH) until after V2. And it seemed to me to be kind of an 'in' thing with the guitar folks. A way of bonding with our Jewish brothers & sisters. But...if they don't utter then Name (sorry to disagree with Aristotle but I think they DO know why...at least that's
    what my Jewish friends tell me). My husband was born Jewish as was my great-grandmother and many of my friends. In fact, in the early 1970's when I made my first trip to Israel, I would attend Friday night services at the local Jewish Temple. The congregation was very sensitive to this & I aquired this sensitivity from this experience. So I'm glad we honor and respect this tradition.
  • As one who has never asked my Jewish friends about this (blush), I thank you for the clarification, Jan!
  • How would this apply to the name Jehovah, which is another rendering (often considered archaic) of the Tetragrammaton?
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://www.zenit.org/article-23414?l=english
    Fragments from the Zenit article:

WASHINGTON, D.C., AUG. 19, 2008 (Zenit.org).- A note from the Vatican has reiterated a directive that the name of God revealed in the tetragrammaton YHWH is not to be pronounced in Catholic liturgy.
    The June 29 Vatican message, from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments, clarified that the name of God revealed in YHWH was not pronounced by the first Christians, following the tradition already in use.

Jun 29 CDWS message
    Aug 19 Zenit news
    Note the "reiterated a directive". Anyone have any pointers to the previous instance?
    I did recall this...
    2001-mar-28 Liturgiam Authenticam
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20010507_liturgiam-authenticam_en.html#_ftn34

41. The effort should be made to ensure that the translations be conformed to that understanding of biblical passages which has been handed down by liturgical use and by the tradition of the Fathers of the Church, especially as regards very important texts such as the Psalms and the readings used for the principal celebrations of the liturgical year; in these cases the greatest care is to be taken so that the translation express the traditional Christological, typological and spiritual sense, and manifest the unity and the inter-relatedness of the two Testaments.[34] For this reason:

a) it is advantageous to be guided by the Nova Vulgata wherever there is a need to choose, from among various possibilities [of translation], that one which is most suited for expressing the manner in which a text has traditionally been read and received within the Latin liturgical tradition;

b) for the same purpose, other ancient versions of the Sacred Scriptures should also be consulted, such as the Greek version of the Old Testament commonly known as the “Septuagint”, which has been used by the Christian faithful from the earliest days of the Church;[35]

c) in accordance with immemorial tradition, which indeed is already evident in the above-mentioned “Septuagint” version, the name of almighty God expressed by the Hebrew tetragrammaton (YHWH) and rendered in Latin by the word Dominus, is to be rendered into any given vernacular by a word equivalent in meaning.
  • My parochial vicar was thrilled with the new pronouncement from Rome. It seems as though the reform of the reform is picking up steam.

We have to remember something. In Hebrew, there are no vowels, so the name of God was written as YHWH, but, never uttered, except by the High Prest and only once a year. It seems that only one other Person uttered the name of God and that was Jesus when He told the crowds "I AM". In fact, Pope Benedict devotes some time to the Holy Name of God in his book "Jesus of Nazareth."

The fact remains that this decisino wasn't made out of the blue. It was well-thought out and should be received with obedience. Besides, selfishly speaking, it will put an end to the cheesy stuff from the SLJ. OCP must be pitching a fit over this issue and over the new translations that Rome has now said cannot and should not be paraphrased. Furthermore, I suspect that there were those who were using YHWH in lieu of the pronoun He when referring to God. This should also put an end to a bad trend.
  • DBP -

A friend who is a Jewish Cantor informs me that the Hebrew Scriptures were originally written without vowels; pronunciation was learned by those who would speak the holy text. When vowel "points" were later added, the writers used the vowels of "Adonai", inserted between the consonants of the name, creating a character set of "YaHoWa(i)H". The purpose was to remind the reader not to speak the word YWHW aloud. Most Cantors say neither, using the phrase "ha-Shem" ("The Name") in its place.

The Encyclopaedia Judeica goes on to express the belief that it was a misinterpretation by early Christian scholars that led to "Jehovah" being thought of as a word in itself. I believe that it is in the spirit of the message not to use the name "Jehovah" either.
  • Priorstf,

In a course I took on the English translation of the bible as an object of literature, the professor was very careful to replace the word "Lord" when it appeared in small caps (apparently a convention used to indicate when "The Name" appeared in Hebrew texts) with the construct, "Ado-Shem". I don't have my notes from the class in front of me to recount precisely how he arrived at this construct or from whence it came; nevertheless he did it out of a sense of respect for both the orthodox Jewish tradition of not speaking "The Name", and also out of an understanding of the many valences of meaning when speaking "The Name".

FWIW.

Cheers, all, and happy Friday!