Graduale Parvum
  • I've uploaded the Graduale Parvum as it currently exists and has existed for some years. It is a long way from completion:

* The texts are not in line with the ICEL translation but they are good translations that are entirely suitable for sung liturgical use
    * The Psalm pointing appears to correspond with Westminster practice that is unfamiliar outside that venue
    * There are no offertories

Still, there is widespread interest in this book, so I hope this satisfies that interest. Perhaps they can be adapted by enterprising musicians. As you can see, there is a long, long way to go before a final publishable edition is produced.
  • Kathy
    This is SOOOOO amazing! Oh my goodness, authentic, supple, lovely chant, simplified, and in English. And on the Feast of St. Gregory the Great! It is exactly what I need, thank you!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    Is it going to be in print?
  • Well, it is not exactly ready for singing. It needs some work and time put into it. It's more of a sketch than anything at this point, but it is not doing anyone any good sitting on my hard drive.
    Thanked by 2Ben IanW
  • As for print, no way, no in its current form. It needs text help. It needs Psalm pointing. It needs offertories. It needs a lot of things. This is just a sketch.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Kathy
    Oh my gosh, I can't stop singing them!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • One possible use is to add Graduals and Alleluias to a program that is already using propers for entrance, offertory, communion. I can't really comment on the translations of the Parvum's Graduals and their legal status. I'm not sure that anyone has weighed in on translated Graduals. There are many uncertainties in these areas.
  • This is very interesting. Thanks so much for posting this.
  • Does anyone have a recording or transcript of Fr. Guy Nicholls' explanation of this project?
  • chonakchonak
    It's on Carl's site with the other 2012 Colloquium recordings.
    Thanked by 1Carl D
  • This is exciting! Keep up the good work. Are these texts and melodies "approved" for Liturgical use in the Ordinary Form as per the GIRM?

Daniel
  • Jeffrey -
    This is really nice. When will it be complete... esp. when will there be offertories?
    I would strongly consider using this at the fall course of St Basil's School of Gregorian Chant at Houston's UST.
    Too, I would suggest respectfully that there be a choice between the Gradual and the cycle of three Responsorial Psalms. I think both are good to have, and the latter would certainly widen the appeal (egalitarian that I am!). The Gradual, after all, is a truncated Responsorial Psalm.

When last I talked with Fr Columba he was going to begin work on original compositions for an entire English graduale, consisting of Introit, Gradual and RespPs, Alleluya and Verse, Offertory, and Communion for every Sunday and Solemnity. Such a complete Graduale Americanorum is needed greatly.

Again: this is a fine work, and I can't wait to see it finished!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Perhaps it could be completed progressively? Perhaps working on particular liturgical seasons first such as Advent, Christmastide, Lent, Holy Week, Eastertide, Major Feasts and Sundays of Ordinary time?
  • You've probably covered this somewhere else, so pardon me asking, but what is your source for the translations of the graduals and alleluias? As far as I knew, there weren't authorised translations for these anywhere, and unlike the other parts of the Mass without translations (ie. Offertory antiphon), it seems that the 'alius cantus aptus' loophole couldn't be used.
  • You could do what I have done. I have thus far spent 18 months studying Latin at college so I can do my own translations.