Mutation and mixture organ stops composition ?
  • I was wondering if anyone knew whether there are any original organ compositions written for the mutation and mixture stops. I am an organist myself so I am aware of the usual use of these types of stops, however, I am finishing a Masters portfolio of compositions at the moment, and to tick all the necessary boxes for the sorts of composition circles I have to frequent as part of my course, I have written a piece for these stops. I need to write a commentary for the music I write, and it would be good if I could make some sort of comparison to existing compositions, if there are any.
    Thanks !
  • kevinfkevinf
    Francis Jackson-Mixtures from a book printed by Novello called "The Colours of the ORgan".
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    You mean by themselves? Bill Albright's The King of Instruments is a sort of bestiary and depicts some of the invertebrates with a duet for two mixtures.
  • hartleymartin
    Mixtures and mutations exist primarily to fill out harmonic series of various flue pipe stops. The trouble with writing a piece for mixtures and mutations is that there is no standardisation in the tonal schemes of organs. The Organ of St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta has only a 3-rank mixture on the great and no nazard or tierce, since it is an English Romantic-era organ.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CharlesW
  • There is some XX. century literature that requires rather unusual combinations of mutations. Messiaen and Alain come to mind. If there were anything calling for mixtures alone it would be, um, interesting to hear (at least once). Kevin: is there a recording of the Jackson that you mention?
  • GavinGavin
    As Hartley rightly points out, this would be quite difficult as the composition of a mixture varies from organ to organ.

Jackson: another composer for more obscure mutations (Septieme, None) would be Louis Florentz. His works have some truly interesting timbres.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Jean Langlais - Suite Brève - IV. Dialogue sur les mixtures
    Of course, the foundations are added also!! and there is a lovely middle section with a rather piquant solo on the cornet, very effective piece actually.
    Thanked by 1redsox1
  • Um, wasn't there one of those early battle pieces that depicted "Une battaille des fournitures et des cymbales"?
    I can't remember the composer; it might have been Louis-Victor Noisee, I'm not sure.
  • GavinGavin
    Noisee? Sounds very Noisy, indeed!
  • Study Alain's organ works and works like L'Banquet celeste by Messiaen. I would suggest these composers were very interested in mutations and used them beautifully.