Interested in interludes for the improv inept
  • Because who doesn't love assonance?

Fellow organists: are you as poor at improvisation as I am? Do you need pre-written interludes for those moments when some extra "filler" is needed?

Help me out. Please post some of your favorite "go to" pieces or (better yet) collections for interludes. Thanks!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj

Franck has a bunch of really easy pieces in different keys.. I think I got them from this CD: http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=220559&lid=0&subsiteid=63&;

If your hymn were in F you'd use one of the pieces in F Major/Minor.
    If your hymn were in G you'd use one of the pieces in G Major/Minor.

When I was first starting out I used these often. Haven't picked them up in forever though, and perhaps I should!
  • GavinGavin
    I would encourage you to give improvisation a try anyway. I thought my own improvisation was bad - and maybe it is - but then I realized people regularly play works by MUCH worse composers than I, so surely my own improvisation is preferable to an organ work by a lesser composer. (I won't name any, due to my understanding of forum etiquette.)

My recommendation is to make up a melody line. Just monophonic. No accompaniment, just select a solo registration and play as you are moved. If you have trouble, use the pentatonic scale. No need to get any fancier than that if you're not comfortable.
  • Thanks, Gavin. I certainly keep working on my improvisation, but time at the instrument prohibits me from digging into it more (also, lack of instruction from someone better than me).

Matthewj, I've tried similar things, like Rossini's The Liturgical Organist and Shenk's Brief Orisons. The Shenk pieces are fairly nice, and I'm not so nuts about the Rossini collection. That type of thing is exactly what I was looking for, though. Thanks!

Edit: is this the collection you are speaking of?

Thanked by 1Felicity
  • Start your improvisation with a C pedal point and just noodle in C major. The pedal point makes it sound like something fabulous is coming up, and then, oh dear, it's time to wrap it up and get on with the next thing, so time to resolve to a C chord. I remember improvising in C in an organ lesson, and it wasn't too terrible. My teacher said, "Throw in a B-flat and see where it takes you." It took me to F major. :) I'm definitely a novice and am awed by our organist's superb improvisations that are always well considered and constitute well-structured little compositions in an appropriate style.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes. The F major/minor ones are my favorites.
  • jpal
    Andrew,

I am fairly comfortable with improvising, but I've used and will always use interlude collections. See the attached Karg-Elert. I have also used Peeters' Thirty-Five Miniatures. However, more than anything else, I have use the organ works of Boëly, specifically, his two-volume Liturgical Service published by Kalmus. Most of the pieces are very short; there's a wide range of styles, keys, and tempos, and in many cases you can string consecutive movements together almost seamlessly. Also, some of the collections are basically organ Masses based on recognizable tunes (e.g., Missa de Angelis).

Jon
  • Thirty Five Miniatures For Organ
    Flor Peeters, Op. 55

Modal, in fact, Dedicated to my dear friend Theodore N. Marier.

Thanked by 1dad29
  • redsox1
    Andrew,

Have you checked out any music by Paul Benoit? His elevations are absolutely gorgeous.

Thanked by 1marajoy
  • CharlesW
    I keep The Hymnal, 1940 nearby. I use those excellent hymns as filler, when needed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Keep 'em coming, guys. I'm creating a shopping list here. Thanks!
  • redsox1
    Another nice resource is Charles Callahan's "Chant" volumes 1 and 2. Also, don't forget about the Eighty Chorale Preludes published by Peters. Lots of good stuff in there.
  • hartleymartin
    Corrente Italiana by Juan Cabanilles. Played very slowly and only with flutes makes for excellent interlude music. It also has several cadence points which gives you convenient locations to stop. The piece is also in three sections, the last of which I have used as a short postlude. (I typically play in a very small chapel, so they never need to be very long!)

A lot of the diapason movements from English organ voluntaries are also quite good, again done quietly with flute stops and played slowly.

I've got a folder of go-to music which I keep rehearsed so that I can use it to accompany a mass at short notice. Not many pieces, but I only occasionally do mass so it is easy to only keep a dozen pieces ready.
  • How often do you practice? Perhaps you could set aside 15 or 20 minutes of your practice time just letting your hands and ideas freely happen, mistakes, good sounds, awful sounds and all. All the above advice is really good, but you should accustom yourself to being cautiously bold in discovering how to construct a sensible musical interlude or short composition. A knowledge of basic harmonic progression would be most helpful, but shouldn't define your limits. Also, analysis of short composed works will give you hints of what you can do on your own. As Gavin suggests, don't be ashamed to start with a mere solo line, or a two voiced effort. (And! It doesn't necessarily have to be soft=innocuous.) Make simple two or three voice improvisations on a chant cantus firmus part of your daily regimen. Never ever put yourself down - accept where you're at and build on that.
    Also: look into some of the earlier mass and magnificat versets and suites by Renaissance and Baroque composers... Boyvin, Frescobaldi, Pachelbel, etc.... these are very often rather brief and would make very nice 'interludes'. Too, if they are too long you can nicely tailor them as needed... as a contemporary organist would have done.
    Numerous organ methods have chapters on improvisation. You might investigate these. Do you belong to the AGO? Its monthly journal, The American Organist, always has an how-to article on basic improvisation. And, interaction with other organists could be most rewarding. Never miss an opportunity to learn by hearing others in recital or service playing, especially Episcopalians.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen kevinf
  • My favorite books for organ interludes are the Nova Organi Harmonia volumes, available for free download at http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Gregorian_organ_accomp/

These modal harmonizations of chant make ideal quiet pieces at any time during the Mass, and the nice thing is that you can play before Mass the Introit, or at Offertory the offertory, etc., and it fits so well with the season, the propers, everything. They are also easy to end whenever you need to end. I also find that playing these Gregorian harmonizations is wonderful training in developing a sense for how to improvise on a theme taken from the liturgy itself. Inspired by NOH, I have written down some similar harmonizations on, e.g., the Ubi Caritas.
  • dad29
    Peeters' work is generally modal rather than 'keyed'--thus very fitting for Catholic church work.
  • hartleymartin
    Oxford Service Music For Manuals and Pedals Vol. 1 has a rather handy interlude on Picardy. I keep this and a score of picardy handy and between these two I get plenty of ideas for improvised interludes.
  • Whenever I need filler, I keep the Graduale Romanum handy and improvise on the Introit of the day, usually, making up the left hand and pedal as I go, and if I'm feeling it, play the melody on the pedals. If it worked for Widor and Dupre it's good enough for me and my village. Not that I'm improvising symphonies or anything... I do change registration often. OF, btw.

2 weeks before I started at my parish, I decided to stop by to see what the previous organist was doing for music, I suffered through "Amazing Grace" in 5 different keys as Holy Communion was finishing up. Barf.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Marcel Dupre's Course of Improvisation (in 2 volumes) is worth the effort, though it is rather difficult at times. Many good things to learn from it.
  • BruceL
    As Kevin points out, the Dupre is the "gold standard". However, there is a lot of gold there and might not be the best starting point.

Gerre Hancock's book "Improvisation: How to Master the Art" is the best you will find for structure. Buy it. It is complemented by Jan Overduin's "Making Music: Improvisation for Organists" which deals in a more immediately accessible harmonic idiom, etc. Buy them both, as they offer subtly different approaches (i.e., Overduin's concentrates more on harmony).

I think if you are serious about the organ you really must practice improvisation (that is, sitting down that the instrument and letting things happen!) at least 15 minutes a day. You'll get more comfortable. Just imitate your favorite pieces: start out a Bach prelude, and then try to mimic it. That's improvisation! I think you'll be missing a part of your musicality and expression if you don't experiment with improvisation.

As for books of small pieces, I think the Peeters and Benoit books are by far the best. Rossini is very tired sounding, and I daresay is not the path forward we want for Catholic sacred music. The more modal idiom of Peeters and Benoit has more to say to the modern ear, I think.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Pachelbel. His Fugues on the Magnificat (Published by Dover) are good and short; also some Preludes, Toccatas, Fugues (Published by Dover as "Pachelbel, Organ Works"); also Hexachordum Apollinis.

There are some Intonazione by Frescobaldi and Gabrielli (IMSLP) that are nice as short interludes. Also try looking for Antiphons and Hymn Versets for the Office (especially French ones).
  • GavinGavin
    Mark P.'s suggestion of the Carlo Rossini book is a solid one. Don't let the name throw you off! All easy, accessible, and varying lengths, but still great music. I would hate to see it become a staple for preludes/postludes, but if you just need something to fill a few seconds to a few minutes, it's great to have that by your bench!
  • lautzef
    I agree with Salieri on the Frescobaldi/Gabrieli intonazioni and versets. Late 16th and early 17th century organ books are full of ready-made short pieces that can be used as interludes. The Corpus of Early Keyboard Music (CEKM) volumes are where I find a lot of these. Many of the pieces could be a bit long for what you are describing, but they are written in sections so that you can stop when you want to. As someone else said, metric hymns are also good; if you need "really short" you can start one of these somewhere in the middle and end up with a nice final cadence. As was also suggested, I keep a folder of this type of thing so I can pull any of them out in seconds.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Listen to composers who make use of chant in their pieces (a great deal of the French school in the 20th century but others as well) and listen to their harmonic development.

I echo BruceL's commentary. Improvisation begins by being willing to free yourself for a while from a printed page. At the heart of all improvisation is not being afraid to let the harmony go where it goes. You become accustomed to the freedom and then you apply structure and harmony to it. It probably won't be good at first but that is not the point. Do not worry about it. Before long you will be able to do things that even surprise yourself.

(From someone who loves to improvise and loves teaching it as well.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Overheard from a jazz player:
    When improvising, remember- you're never more than a half-step away from the right note.
  • 1) There is no such thing as liturgical filler.
    2) Yes, improvisation has its place, and I recommend using chant melodies as the basis for your own improvisation. I've even written a fantasie on Regina Caeli. Since I have a diminutive parish and a squeeze box, I don't try anything too elaborate for preludes, but on a postlude, I have been known to enjoy exploring what little I have to work with.

• CharlesW
    I keep a copy of The Hymnal 1940 for use when I need a little more music to fill time. That's the best hymnal of all time. For example, the pastor wants something played until he walks to the side of the altar for hand washing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>1940... the best hymnal of all time

::cough cough:: English Hymnal of 1906 ::cough cough::
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Don't have that one. Maybe the best Catholic hymnal, since the ordinariate is using it.