Playing for Free
  • The next time your asked to play for free!

• matthewjmatthewj
    Whatever you tried to do there...

It didn't work.

At least on my end.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Ok,

than did it not post??

I see the image coming up on my page
  • GavinGavin
    Except it didn't work.
  • GavinGavin

I presume this is what Michael was trying to post.
  • That's the one,

did it not post in the original?

I see it posted in the initial post
  • GavinGavin
    I suspect the "image upload" feature on the forum isn't working properly.
  • that's strange... I am seeing it posted even in the original post...

@Gavin, do you see it in the original post or is there a blank?

I even see the second one that you posted of the same image
  • CharlesW
    I don't see it either. Just a red x and the word image.
  • francis
    yea... tis amazing what some people will try to get something for nothing.
  • yea... what's funnier is it's usually the ones that can afford to pay for the music, want it for free, and those that can't afford, usually go without.

• CharlesW
    So true. The wife of a friend who makes $90 k per year, once asked if I would play for her sisters wedding for $20.00 Needless to say, I was busy elsewhere that day.
  • GavinGavin
    Now it's showing up, before it just said "image".
  • GavinGavin
    To topic, I do play for free at times, even though I desperately need the money. It's great to meet people, or help out someone who really needs it. Or maybe I do it as a gift to someone, or for charity.

However, there's a difference between a gift, and an expectation that one will just work for nothing. (or next-to-nothing)
  • TCJ
    I've been asked to play for free by people whom I hardly know. I just tell them I don't play for free because I have to earn a wage just like other people. I guess we just look like rich people who are always ready to help out complete strangers out of the goodness of our hearts. Well, my heart isn't that good!
  • francis
    I always extend myself to wedding couples who cannot afford music. I just leave it to them to give a donation. After all, it's a ministry and I would never want a couple to not have music for their wedding.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    My wife taught flute privately and she practically had to have a second job in her own collection agency to get people to pay up. People want to treat the musicians like "the help" and then won't cough up. However, one of my favorite Simpsons moments is when Otto gets married and after the ceremony:

Rev. Lovejoy: And now to the matter of my honorarium.

Otto: What?

Rev. Lovejoy: You know. My emolument.

Otto: Huh?

Rev. Lovejoy: Pay me! 300 dollars!
  • chonakchonak
    The image looks tiny in the top posting, but if you click on it, you should see it in its full size.
  • TCJ
    Francis said...

"I always extend myself to wedding couples who cannot afford music. I just leave it to them to give a donation. After all, it's a ministry and I would never want a couple to not have music for their wedding."

If a person truly could not afford to pay me my small fee (small parish, small fee!) I would certainly think about doing music for free, but only if they TRULY couldn't afford the fee. That situation didn't happen, though. People just wanted free music.
  • francis
    Yes. You have to be careful.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I haven't done any weddings.

But for funerals, I send the following to whoever is organizing/paying for things:
    My usual fee is $XXX. However, I know that funerals are difficult times for people and that finances can be hard. If you cannot afford the full amount, please pay what you can and do not worry about it. And if you can afford to pay a little more to help "cover" the funerals of those who cannot, that is very much appreciated.

I generally get $50 to $100 more than I ask for, and I don't feel put out when people can't, won't, or just forget to pay.