Communion Antiphons from the SEP
  • hartleymartin
    After having taken a closer look at the SEP, I found the 7 Communion Antiphons to be used ad libitum. Perhaps this website should consider publishing them together in separate files, or perhaps together to be printed as a booklet.

I've taken the liberty of using screen captures to edit them all together into an 8-page booklet, with the intention of introducing them to the Parish Choir that I'll be volunteering with in the near future. I am trying to get them to move away from the old 4-hymn sandwich.

I have generally found that if you use a processional hymn, sing the responses and sing the Our Father, that congregations are generally happy to leave the choir to sing an offertory motet and then a communion chant and leave the organist to play a suitable postlude. I like to mix up the ordinary of the mass a little. I rarely use a single setting of the ordinary for an entire mass. I might have a polyphonic Kyrie and Agnus Dei, with an easy veracular Gloria and Sanctus. It rather depends on the occasion and what sort of singers I have available.

In Lent and Advent I often use a suitable hymn for the season is used as the recessional. In Lent it may be something like "Lord Jesus Think On Me" or "May this Lenten Discipline", whilst with Advent, "Veni, Veni Emmanuel", "On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry", "Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus" can all be sung as recessionals, when strictly speaking (in the Catholic Liturgy) Postludes are not permitted in these seasons.

But back onto my main point, I think that we should encourage the use of these ad libitum Communion Antiphons as a way to break up the dreaded 4-hymn sandwich!
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Ragueneau
  • john m
    I agree. The 7 common Communios, in settings Graduale or the SEP, are an excellent place for the beginning schola to start out. Singing the Communio as the Celebrant communicates himself is non-threatening, doesn't take anything away from anyone, and allows people to hear the sound of chant at Mass without having anything demanded of them. From there the schola can expand into using the proper of the day.

As to recessionals, I would add to the list the fine old custom of singing the Marian antiphon of the season.
  • BenBen
    I may put together a full document with the 7 ad libitum communios from SEP (and maybe from the graduale too?), if I can find a time this week or next.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    For me it's very simple to extract the seven ad libitum communions from SEP. Here they are:
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I'm grabbing these! Thanks. Now all I need is a parish that won't look at me like I have tarantulas crawling out of my nose by suggesting them.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Now all I need is a parish....

Hopeful Salesman: What I really need is the right product!
    Experienced Salesman: No. What you really need is a customer.
  • hartleymartin
    smvanroode -

Perhaps it would be good to also add the Glory bes from the booklet to the end of each of the chants.
  • hartleymartin
    John M -

We already use Marian Antiphons at our college. We also sing it at the end of our Formal Dining-In every Monday night. By the time one finishes their first year hear, it is almost expected that you would know the Salve Regina (Simple Tone), Ave Regina Caelorum and Regina Caelis.

I may suggest it to the Parish I will be volunteering at.
  • BenBen
    Thank you Steven! I've actually wanted to create that document for quite a while, but I'm sure it's much easier for you, since you helped create SEP...
  • a1437053a1437053
    I was wondering what was so powerful about this week's antiphon.