How often should workshops be scheduled in a location?
  • We just hosted our first Sacred Music Workshop at our parish and enjoyed it very much. It was of great help to our schola and others attending. Our schola is relatively new, without any depth of knowledge in Sacred Music. Having schola members receive the benefit of direction and teaching from an expert is wonderful.

My question is... we already know we want to have another workshop as soon as feasibly possible. How much time is a reasonable time to wait before scheduling another workshop? We want the workshop to be taken seriously, with the appropriate attention and value given to it. We also hope that many of those outside our schola who attended the first workshop will attend the next one.

Another question comes to mind... what time of the church year would you recommend for the next workshop (in terms of music selection, ease of scheduling, etc.)?
  • AOZ
    There is nothing wrong with getting something on the calendar right away. Momentum is high now, and it gives everyone something to look forward to. And with the way parish calendars fill up these days, you will know you'll have the space and time when you need it.

Advent and Lent are hard - people busy with music in their own parishes. And during Lent you have to be careful, of course, that you don't schedule anything with an Alleluia. And no Gloria for the Mass. I would say late September or October, or January or February, before Lent begins. You might also look at April - before the end of the academic year, and after Easter Sunday.
  • In the Spring, what would be pros and cons for Easter season (after Easter) vs. ordinary time? Would it likely be difficult to schedule conductors then? Any particularly great music to recommend for such a time of year (remember, we are talking beginning schola -- getting better, but still mainly beginners -- some of our people are getting pretty good at reading neumes, but haven't a clue about modern notation, so the polyphony has to be really simple, too).
  • I think the fall is a great time. Folks have energy after the summer and the work of Christmas is not yet upon you. I agree that you should follow up soon. As your schola and congregation mature, your members can attend workshops in other areas and you can hold one only occasionally to brush up and recruit new people. Since your group is new, go ahead and have one next year.

moconnor
  • Another question along the same lines of my first question... in order to help the parishioners to learn more of the basics, we have discussed the possibility of offering a short (2 hours or so) mini workshop intended for parishioners to learn to sing the ordinaries, Mass responses and the basics of reading the notation. We thought of offering it on a weekend afternoon or morning and leading this effort ourselves. Any thoughts on this? Have others tried this idea with their own parishes?

Also, your mention of having the schola members attend other workshops is something we have also been trying to do... unfortunately, there aren't that many scheduled, particularly in our near area. Luckily, we aren't too terribly far from Auburn. One thought we have had is that it may be more cost-effective for us to have one speaker come here to train our entire schola (plus encourage interest in others in the area at the same time and thus help with recruitment) than to send several members elsewhere (travel costs, etc.). We are trying very hard to shorten our learning curve.
  • AOZ
    I think it would pay off for the director of any given effort to take a more extensive chant class and bring the goods home. This allows for more in depth study which can be transferred to the schola after the fact and over time. Not sure what the plans are for 2008, but the Ward Center at CUA usually offers a three week course in the summer. The costs are great, of course. But the benefits are proportionally generous.
  • Wish I could take 3 weeks and go to learn myself... maybe when the kids are bigger :) Don't think our paid musicians would be interested... just got a big announcement to the entire choir distribution list giving info. about all the upcoming NPM events.
  • Jan
    janetgorbitz

Fr. Anthony Ruff OSB at St. John's Abbey in Minn puts on 2 one week (Mon-Fri) workshops each summer (one basic/one advanced Gregorian Chant).

For more info contact:

Fr. Anthony Ruff - awruff@csbsju.edu (or)

St. John's School of Theology & Seminary
    Collegeville, MN 56321
    (320) 363-2102 or (800) 361-8318
  • Thanks for the information. I have emailed Fr. Ruff for more information about the schedule this coming summer. Do you know more information about just how basic or advanced the workshops are?
  • AOZ
    Janet -

You will probably want to talk with Fr. Ruff about his stance on the semiological v. Solesmes approach to chant instruction/interpretation.
  • Jan
    janetgorbitz

Best to contact Fr. Ruff r/t what's covered in the 'basics' course. The 'advanced' course emphasized interpretation based on the notation of the early neumes in the Graduale Triplex. It also included the evaluation of various schools of chant interpretation, melodic correction (semiological approaches) of the published editions, use of chant in the postconciliar liturgy & rehearsal and conduction techniques.

This was in 2005. Since Summorum Pontificum he might cover the EF liturgy, who knows. The semiologic material was interesting and presented as an option, not a 'dogma'.

Just before the course began, Fr. Ruff offered an optional (free) review of Gregorian Chant basics for
    advanced course participants. It presumed one already knew the basics & just wanted to make sure.

When you hear for Fr. Ruff, I'd be interested in how he structures his courses these days.
  • Jan
    AOZ

When I took Fr. Ruff's course, his use of semiologic corrections was minimal and to my mind, minor. The emphasis
    in his course work was on Solesmes. We learned how to read St. Gall & Laon notation from the 'Triplex' which
    was very educational. He did not suggest we all adopt semiologic correction but that we be aware that there are
    other schools that continue to do research in the chant. I use Solesmes in my own practice. However as an
    educator, I was glad to have a better understanding of other options (even thought I would be very reluctant to
    apply them with my schola).

P.S. (off the topic) What chant notation program do you use? I really like your layout & need to get one going
    'yesterday'!! (I am a postulant at this)
  • AOZ
    Jan - Good to hear your report on Fr. Ruff's course. You seem to adopt a balanced approach when looking at the scholarly value of semiology, and the practical value of using the Solesmes method with your choir.

I use the Meinrad fonts.
  • Jan
    AOZ - Tx. I try to be. (Please go to Chant Notation thread...I've got a few more questions on Meinrad fonts).
  • Here is the reply from Fr. Ruff... an excerpt:

Thanks for writing. Yes, I am offering basic chant I and then more advanced chant II. We will start Sunday, July 20, 7-9 pm, and then Chant I will run Mon-Wed, either all morning or all afternoon (it’s not set yet), but whichever it is, there will be optional singing practice either in the morning or in the afternoon when the class is not meeting. So that means each day there is 2 ½ hours of class and 1 ½ hours of singing practice. There will be suggested readings and also CDs to listen to for those who want more to do. This class will run for sure on Wednesday morning; then Chant II will start Wednesday afternoon at 2 pm. It will have a similar schedule – a mixture of class and optional singing practice, and will conclude with all-morning class on Saturday. The details of this and exact times may be adjusted slightly – but for now, you have the dates and the basic times. I would suggest that, if you’re interested, you put it in your calendar, and then in about March write me again for registration information and I will direct you to the admissions office for that.

Oh – and do spread the word to others who are interested. I think this will be a good opportunity to acquire, in one week, a pretty solid overview of Gregorian chant and real confidence in singing it well.
  • I forwarded this info. to Fr. Ruff...

"Best to contact Fr. Ruff r/t what's covered in the 'basics' course. The 'advanced' course emphasized interpretation based on the notation of the early neumes in the Graduale Triplex. It also included the evaluation of various schools of chant interpretation, melodic correction (semiological approaches) of the published editions, use of chant in the postconciliar liturgy & rehearsal and conduction techniques.

This was in 2005. Since Summorum Pontificum he might cover the EF liturgy, who knows. The semiologic material was interesting and presented as an option, not a 'dogma'.

Just before the course began, Fr. Ruff offered an optional (free) review of Gregorian Chant basics for
    advanced course participants. It presumed one already knew the basics & just wanted to make sure."

Here is his reply:

Hello – yes, this is all very accurate. The emphasis will be even more on actual singing, but the other issues will be covered as well. My approach is for the Vatican II liturgy, but I think the interpretation principles and all the practical information would apply very well for those using the pre-Vatican II liturgy. I hope this helps.

Fr. Anthony
  • Jan
    janetgorbitz - Thank you for your f/u posting from Fr. Ruff. Good to here he continues with his work I learned a lot from both the course and the person!