Faure's Requiem: what to do for the Benedictus?
  • john m
    Does anyone here know why Faure omitted the Benedictus in his Requiem? If it is sung in the context of the Liturgy, any suggestions as to what to sing for the Benedictus? I have heard of inserting a chant or polyphonic Benedictus and then taking up Faure's Hosanna again. I would be interested to learn of others' experience in this.
  • Assuming it's being sung separately from the Sanctus, I've generally heard it sung in several polyphonic settings, generally from polyphonic Requiem Masses....unfortunately, I've also heard it simply be omitted.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Why is it omitted? In the Rite formerly used in France there were times when the Benedictus was omtted : Because the Sanctus and Benedictus were separated by the Consecration, the custom arose of replacing the Benedictus with an 'Elevation' - the Pie Jesu is the Elevation motet which replaced the Benedictus at Requiems. Franck's Panis Angelicus was originally an Elevation as well, for Corpus Christi, I think. This is a custom in France that goes back to the Middle Ages (the chant Ave Verum was orginally sung as an Elevation. The thing is, it didn't matter too much since the priest recited the whole sanctus text at the end of the preface anyway.

What to do? I would consider three options :

1 : Benedictus from Mass XVIII, with or without Faure's Osananna.

2 : I'm not too familiar with the complete oeuvre of Faure, but you could substitute a Benedictus and Osanna from another Faure Mass (transposed if needed/possible), it's not uncommon for the Sanctus and Benedictus of the same mass to have different Osannas. The Messe Basse might work (organ/strings double the parts, ad lib).

3 : If you're a composer or know one (try a university professor or student), you could compose/commission a Faure 'pastiche' for the missing Benedictus, which would resume with a da capo of Faure's Osanna.
  • Mark P.
    Salieri's posting is very incisive and uncovers a little-understood concept in French liturgical practice.
  • john m
    Very helpful indeed. Now I can proceed with some confidence. Many thanks!