Eucharist: "celebration" vs. "sacrament and sacrifice"
  • teachermom24
    I listened to a lecture on music recently that distinguished between types of music as suited for different occasions, particularly sacred music fitting for church vs. folk music (in the best sense) fitting for celebrations (such as weddings). Then I read something by Pope St. Pius X with his emphasis on the Eucharist as "sacrament and sacrifice", and found the word "celebration" only three times in the 1903 document on church music. Now it seems the emphasis is on the Eucharistic "celebration". Does it make a difference?

Kathy
  • gregpgregp
    Kathy, my own opinion is that this idea of "celebration" is a phase, part and parcel of the hoo-haw of the last 40 years, which is going away as people realize that you can get a lot more "celebration" for yourself at your favorite restaurant - good food, good friends, sounds like Miller Time! People need more than superficial happiness of celebration; they need the deep joy that comes from worship.

For celebrating, I'll take the Magic Kingdom! ;-)
  • chonakchonak
    "Celebration", in the context of liturgy, doesn't refer to throwing a party, but to carrying out a ceremony.
  • gregpgregp
    chink, I agree that is true, but in many, if not most of the cases I've seen, people who say they want the Mass to be a "celebration" mean they want to par-tay.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I believe too many "liturgists" use that word as a simple excuse to exclude "dreary chant" whenever they possibly can. It's nothing but a trap. It's the "Mass". It includes both Good Friday and Easter Sunday. You cannot separate the two. We are a ritual society. It's just that we've grown lazy in performing the rituals of the Church.
  • chonakchonak
    "Celebration", in the Church's documents, always refers to carrying out a rite, and it doesn't refer to parties and entertainment. After all, priests commonly "celebrate" funerals.

So if there are confused people looking for an atmosphere of frivolity in church, there's a need for some education there.

On laziness in performing the rituals of the Church: that is a good way to put it. A more deliberate and studied celebration of the rites cannot help but move people.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Judging by the replies above, a summation and direct reply to the original question: There is no particular relevance within the Pope St. Pius X document so far as using "celebration" as opposed to other words. Today's proliferation of "celebration" likely represents a misunderstanding of what that even refers to.

As a personal comment: Is it possible that "celebration" in the document you read referred to weddings as such, which do not necessarily contain a Mass? In that case, it would be inappropriate to refer to all weddings as a "sacrifice."

(Well, sort of.)
  • teachermom24
    I was wondering about the use of "celebration" more along the lines that Greg mentioned. There's a religious ed curriculum used at a former parish titled, "We Celebrate!", which I don't recall ever used the word "sacrifice", at least there was no emphasis on the "Sacrifice of the Mass". It does seem to me that the "party" connotation of "celebration" is more commonly used in our culture, and the meaning in the church documents of "carrying out a rite" is lost on the common Catholic.

EAF: By "wedding", I meant the party afterwards, not the Mass. The lecturer said good folk music is very appropriate to cultural celebrations, weddings being one of the clearest examples. So I was distinguishing between the Mass, as "sacrament and sacrifice" and the celebrations of the party type.

Kathy
  • CharlesW
    That's always a difficult distinction to get people to realize. There is a difference between Mass music, and devotional music. Devotional is much less restricted.

Celebration. It must be a liturgist term as currently used. My pastor never uses it. He always says, "The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass."
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    I was wondering about the use of "celebration" more along the lines that Greg mentioned. There's a religious ed curriculum used at a former parish titled, "We Celebrate!", which I don't recall ever used the word "sacrifice", at least there was no emphasis on the "Sacrifice of the Mass". It does seem to me that the "party" connotation of "celebration" is more commonly used in our culture, and the meaning in the church documents of "carrying out a rite" is lost on the common Catholic.

Well, that Pius X uses the term only three times is somewhat immaterial then. "Celebrate" could be used thirty times thirty times in his instructions on the Missal and still not mean what someone using it today once means by it. This and "social justice," appropriated code words as thin as tissue paper. It's high time to reclaim the technical meaning of word, at least in these contexts.

One video at RCIA we were shown contrasted how in those dirty Middle Ages the Mass lost a personal dimension and was called a "great and terrible sacrifice." This may be true or false; I am not competent to judge it. Just after this, however, came the "but now, since Vatican II ..." part of the video.

So... that definitely was a problem.
  • jpal
    "Celebrate" was used well before the 20th century. (e.g., Thomas uses it in the Summa, in his Eucharist discussions, and he quotes liturgical texts which themselves use the word "celebrate" in reference to carrying out the Mass). Remember that the English "celebrate" is a translation. The Latin celebrare has particular connotations of solemnity (at least in traditional ecclesiastical usage), whereas the English cognate has a much broader range of connotations.

Bottom line: only Americans automatically think of Kool & the Gang when they hear the word "celebrate!" ;-)
  • teachermom24
    Yes, the confusion for me was in the use of the word "celebrate". Understanding the Latin and realizing that is the meaning used in the church documents, clears that up.

Thanks! Kathy
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I've always understood the problem not of sacrifice vs. celebration, but sacrifice vs. sharing of a meal. Over the 40 years of well-intentioned but ultimately false ecumenicism, the sacrificial aspect has been obscured and you get the standard understandable but erroneous objection: "Inviting me to your church but not permitting me to have communion is like inviting me to dinner and not serving me food." And lo and behold the "sharing of a meal" doctrine has predictable results. Namely naves loaded with idle chatter by grown adults in shorts and flip flops before Mass like its Friday night at the mall.
  • teachermom24
    Perhaps a better juxtaposition would be "celebration & meal" vs "sacrament and sacrifice". Celebration and meal go hand-in-hand in our culture, thinking again particularly of wedding celebrations. And how do we celebrate holidays, including birthdays? With a big meal! (And, if I'm not mistaken, this was the very idea promoted in the religious ed curriculum I mentioned--comparing the Eucharist to a big holiday meal)

Kathy
  • Perhaps you don't understand my question.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The Most Holy, August, Solemn, and Ineffable Sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Sacrament of His Body and Blood, is Celebrated by an Priest of the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

When a priest Celebrates the Holy Sacrifice in a diocese he is not incardinated in he must produce a 'Celebret', not a 'Sacrificet'.
  • TM24(Kathy)
    I pray you simply mistook Adam's response as being in direct reply to your opinion. I assure you, it wasn't. There was a simple coincidence that his referral to a post he authored at the Cafe simply followed your comment. So, I hope you don't think it was a personal comment directed at you.
  • francis
    The idea of the Mass as mainly a "celebration or a meal" is a largely misguided leaning often promoted by "new theology". I have many sources to help us in understanding the true nature of the sacrifice, but start here.

http://newadvent.org/cathen/10006a.htm

it's a long read, but if we want to truly understand the essence of The Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we as ministers of this most splendid mystery certainly owe it to God, the Church and ourselves to know this truth to the depth of our being.

more coming soon.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Charles is correct. I used the occasion of this conversation as a jumping off point to talk about something different, but related.

I do think there is one fallacy with your question/post, though- it assumes that people are "doing liturgy" based on one faulty premise about it's nature, and that if people changed their premise, we would see better music and liturgy.

The fact of the matter is, most bad liturgy suffers not from wrong thinking but rather lack of thinking at all. Pseudo-theological babble from "liturgists" about Mass being a community feast tends to be a cover for "we do what we like, so whatevs, yo."

Communities that ACTUALLY treat Eucharist like a community meal (modeled after, for example, a reconstruction of the Early Church's Agape meal) don't look anything like what happens at the average suburban American parish. They are intimate, reverent, prayerful. You might disagree with the theology being communicated, but you wouldn't mistake it for thoughtlessness.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    From the start of this thread, I wondered where Liam was with his usual reprimand about "shibboleths".
    Thanked by 1Charles in CenCA
  • Now that's funny!
    Liam's vocabulary is exponentially larger than both the Oxford Dictionary and the former Soviet Union's nuclear (nuke-YOO-ler) arsenal before the collapse! Thus he has become an enabler of my verbosity and loquacious pomposity for which the likes of many on this board have garroted, pilloried and gibbeted (can it be verb'd?) me for years! I actually saw some guy on the TV yesterday (EWTN) who said a "shibboleth" was some visual totem by which its bearer gained access to guarded territory. I just thought it meant some sort of distraction! Silly me, Twix are for kids.
  • Liam
    Because I thought you would have internalized the caution by now, that's why.... And shibboleths are first and foremost verbal totems.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When over-employed by my liberal friends ("truth to power," etc, etc) I like to call them shibbolefts.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Liam
  • I do think there is one fallacy with your question/post, though- it assumes that people are "doing liturgy" based on one faulty premise about it's nature, and that if people changed their premise, we would see better music and liturgy.

The fallacy is in your misreading of my question and assigning assumptions which are not present. If you want to answer your own questions, go ahead, but you have not answered mine. I received a number of very helpful replies which have fully answered my original question.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Liam
    Adam

Indeed. I started out with my progressive peers. For a long time. Still do it to them. Shibboleths are shibboleths on all sides: precisely because they are markers to signify which side one is on, and that they tend become more observed than reality.