Recordings from Colloquium 2012!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Sadly, I won't be able to make the Colloquium this year, even though it's closer than ever.

BUT... I'd like to still make my website available for audio recordings that others make. We have 4 years available there, and I'd love to have a fifth.

If you're interested to provide recordings, please let me know. I have limited time to do the audio processing, but I have some help thanks to gracious volunteers. That's actually the hard part of the work!

If you're doing recordings, lossless files (like WAV format) would be appreciated, so we can hear the full glory of the music.

Thank you!
    Carl
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sadly, I will not be able to attend the Colloquium either. I've found recordings of past Colloquia useful, instructive, and uplifting. So I add my plea to Carl's that people in attendance make every effort to make recordings and provide them to Carl for documenting the magnificence of the music that this Colloquium will provide.
  • BenBen
    Those recordings are great! In addition to being cool to listen to and giving me something to look forward to when I am able to attend one day, they are also used regularly by a local men's group during prolonged periods of adoration. I asked the organizer what CD the recording was from, and he responded that he had downloaded them off this site for some awesome colloquium thing! I almost fell out of my seat! :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a1437053a1437053
    I have a portable recorder (requires 3 AA batteries) if anyone volunteers to record. I can mail it if you promise to mail it back.

It records MP3 and WAV files. I'd really like to hear the speakers give classes.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I am glad to announce that the recordings from the 2012 Colloquium are starting to arrive. Thanks to Justin's gracious contribution, you can listen to them right on your PC. Please be patient, though, I expect it'll be a couple more weeks before this project is done.

Please let me know if you find any mistakes, or have other recordings you'd like to contribute.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A Hymn to the Mother of God is by John Tavener (not Taverner). Confusing since there is also a work by John Taverner in the same Mass.

Thank you for making these available, especially for those of us unable to attend.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks, Carl: I've added that link to the Audio page on musicasacra.com.
  • Richard R.
    Not that I don't appreciate the homemade recording, but I did notice more professional equipment present during Tuesday's Madeleine Choir School concert. Any chance that version will be available or linked to at some point?
  • Carl DCarl D
    Does someone have a contact at the school who we can ask? I'd be glad to post the professional recording, or a pointer to it, if they'd share.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I was wondering about that, Charles!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Did anyone record Jeffrey T.'s lectures about the history of sacred music in America?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I don't think so... there were only 5-10 people in those lectures and I saw no recording equipment.
  • Chris Allen from California City, CA. had his rig in a bag. Didn't see components, but bag looked like it held a boom stand, so Chris likely had a decent digi recorder. He'll probably check in pretty soon.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Charles--sorry, just a tripod for my camera. Didn't get much of a chance to video anything, either, other than Vespers and Friday morning Lauds (I didn't want to climb over other people, especially Msgr Wadsworth Tuesday evening, to tend to the equipment).
  • WendiWendi
    My mother recorded two of Jeffrey Tucker's lectures and part of a third on her phone...I can ask her to send it to me...the quality isn't fabulous, but you can certainly hear what he's saying...we listened to them on the way home.

Thanked by 1chonak
  • WendiWendi
    We really need to take up a collection to get one of the Catholic media companies to come in and record the sessions. There were so many I wanted to attend, but not being able to bi-locate I had to pick and choose.

• janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    The choir school did record with professional equipment for their concert. I don't know if those recordings will be made available for free dissemination or not. They were having them edited and mixed, I believe. They may end up on a CD eventually. Revenue from the CD's helps to support the choir school, so that may be the intention.
  • chonakchonak
    I just spruced up the CMAA Audio page a little and found that some of the Colloquium 2007 recording files were missing. But (happily) I had made copies of them for home use, and was able to upload the missing files.

That was my first year attending, and the last time we stayed at Catholic U. The Colloquium was maxed out at 125 participants, and we formed one polyphonic choir, under Horst's direction.

Videos of that year's English Mass are on-line here, the Requiem Mass here, and the Sunday Mass here.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Wendi, I was thinking more on the lines of setting up a volunteer AV crew, but I'm with you on having as much as possible recorded--most professional-level conferences and such publish their proceedings, so here's an opportunity for CMAA to follow suit. Jeff Ostrowski would probably know best how much it'd cost to have pros come in and do the job, since Corpus Christi Watershed filmed the documentary of the 2009 Colloquium.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I second Chris's suggestion.

I would go with a volunteer group and a coordinator with a sign-up sheet or web-page to keep track of everything, in order to cover as much as possible.

Chuck
  • Carl DCarl D
    @chonak - let me know if you think there would be value in combining your 2007 archive with the ones I have for 2008+.

Chuck, Chris - That approach can work for audio, and it's the reason my archive is as complete as it is. But I got very little response here on the forum this year, so clearly a more active (arm twisting) approach is needed if you want it more complete. Some instruction would also help, because many people aren't comfortable with how to do it.

And I wouldn't even attempt that with video. You want serious people with CCW level talent and equipment. But the editing time is what really costs.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks Carl ... you've been a real asset in collecting and posting all the recordings in the past!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I saw some pretty incredible photos of the inside of the cathedral, but I'm struggling to find them. I'd like to grab one of the most colorful to use on the archival page. I'm thinking maybe I saw those photos on Facebook, not here.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I saw Mary Rose's album that she posted the other day, but it didn't have the one I was looking for.
  • Carl DCarl D
    A quick update: The audio archival page now has all the Masses through Saturday, Vespers, Morning Prayer, Compline, and some lectures. I'll see if I can get through Sunday's Mass recording today, but the New Compositions probably won't be until tomorrow. Then I can go back through and pick up the homilies, produce the uncompressed and Zip files.

Unfortunately, my hard disk is complaining about space, so it looks like I'll have to go archive some old files. Sure glad this isn't video!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Ah, found the images. Thanks be to our great Google overlords!
  • Carl DCarl D
    The recordings from the final Mass on Sunday 1 July have been posted. Could someone verify which Credo and Communion Motet were sung?
  • Carl DCarl D
    All the homilies from the Masses have now been archived; look for them at the bottom of the page.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Carl and/or @Wendi… any luck on getting JT's lectures?
  • Thank you so much for posting so many of the recordings! They are very much appreciated by those of us who weren't able to attend the Colloquium this year. Did anyone happen to record Rudy de Vos' organ recital?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I don't have JT's lectures, nor the organ recital. If anybody captured these, please send me a note and I'll be glad to process and post them!
  • Carl DCarl D
    The recordings from the New Compositions Reading are uploading now - what great hope this gives us for the future of sacred music!

I should be able to upload the Zip packages for the MP3 files this afternoon, I'll let you know when that's done.

Anybody who has other audio recordings not mentioned on the page, please let me know!
  • Carl DCarl D
    OK, for those of you who need your serious fix of great music: I've now posted the Zip packages of the MP3 files. If you have geek tendencies, the page describes how to grab the files directly with ftp.

Here's the magic instruction page

Next step is to clean up some space on my hard disk - the WMA files are a bit larger.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The recordings from the 2012 Colloquium are now archived on this page. I would appreciate knowing if you find this useful and whether you see mistakes.

Saving each file individually to put on your iPod is quite a pain, so I recommend downloading the Zip files if you want to grab a whole bunch at once. Use the WMA files rather than MP3 if you are able, as the quality is noticeably better.

And please, if you know anybody who has other audio recordings, please send them my way.
  • WendiWendi
    My Mom is sending me the Jeffrey Tucker lectures she recorded, I'll send them to Carl as soon as I get them.
    Thanked by 2gregp Mark M.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Yes!!! Thanks!!!
  • WendiWendi
    You are most welcome. I'm sorry I didn't get them sooner, I thought for sure someone else had made a better quality recording.