• GavinGavin
    Need to throw together music for Assumption and just can't handle the Gregorian music? Check out my project and the English translation of the Introit I made! Try it out with a real live choir and let me know how it goes!
  • GavinGavin
    So a friend just told me that in fact "Gaudeamus" is the historic Introit for the Assumption. He's at an extremely Roman Lutheran church which does the propers from the Anglican Gradual. Don't ask me what he's doing celebrating the Assumption; it's not my job to tell anyone how to be Lutheran. Anyone else got any info on that? He suggested it was pre-1945 for some reason.
  • rich_enough
    Yes, the chant "Signum Magnum" was introduced for the feast when the doctrine of the Assumption was defined by Pope Pius XII in 1954. It is a modern adaption of new words to an older chant melody. At that point the original chant "Gaudeamus" was dropped. For the OF (1979 Graduale) "Gaudeamus" is again an option as the introit for the feast.
  • Geoff
    Signum Magnum is so beautiful! I got my first real taste of chant when I was given a CD as a gift from a friend of the family: Assomption, as rendered by the monks of Notre-Dame de Fontgombault. One day, God willing, I'll be able to make it to a Mass on the Feast of the Assumption (August 15th) with the full chant repertoire. The Vespers of the Feast are quite beautiful as well.
  • JDE
    Luther was very devoted to the BVM in his personal life. In fact, there is a bas-relief of the Assumption of the BVM on his sarcophagus. I told that to a Lutheran pastorette once, and she looked at me as I were from Mars, but it's true.

As far as Vultum Tuum, there's a lovely and simple setting of it by Josquin. I can post it later.

What do you all think about doing the antiphon from the Gradual first, then a verse of the Psalm, then the Josquin, a verse of the Psalm, and (if time allows) another repetition of the chant antiphon?
  • JDE
    Here's the Josquin. I nabbed it off the CPDL and fixed it up in Finale a while back, planning to use it for Assumption until Fr. told me he didn't want any more chant for at least three or four months.
  • Kathy
    The Alleluia is crazy; there's a do re mi fa sol la motif (same in 1938)
  • urli
    Signum Magnum was composed by a monk of Solesmes.
  • Kathy
    Am I right in thinking the Gaudeamus is an "introit of the day" for several days throughout the year? Slightly adapted, the same introit is proper for November 1, for example, and it's an acceptable common introit for all feasts and solemnities of the BVM. See GR p. 405.
  • GavinGavin
    You are correct, Kathy. It MAY be the same for St. Michael and All Angels as well (I'd have to double check).
  • "Gaudeamus" was originally composed for the feast of St. Agatha. It is used on All Saints' Day as well as on the feasts of several saints, but not on the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels, which has its own introit, "Benedicite Dominum."