Quinceanera Music
  • Aaron
    I am playing my first Quinceanera Mass in a few weeks. Wondering on ideas for music. Traditionaly, are certain pieces played at particular times in the Mass? I am a music director but this will be my second spanish Mass. The Mass Ordinary will come from Flor y Canto as well as any hymns sung. Not sure on ideas for organ instrumental music (if used in the procession?) Open to suggestions.
  • henry
    I'm not Hispanic, but from what I've learned the Mass is closely affiliated with Masses for the BVM. I usually play a march for the entrance and recessional, a setting of the Magnificat (in Spanish) for the Psalm, and generic Offertory and Communion hymns. Hymns which are about dedicating oneself to God, thanksgiving to God for blessings received, and the Eucharist are what I generally use. Ave Maria or other Hispanic Marian hymn for the flowers to BVM after Communion.
  • What is Quinceanera?
  • A mass of thanksgiving for a usually hispanic girl's 15 years of age. It's like the US equivolent of a sweet 16. Except in central America is predominent, and is usually also marking a right of passage into becoming a woman.

Music is usually music of thanksgiving to God, and music in honor of the Blessed Virgin.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    It's a fascinating subject really. This is a HUGE deal in the Hispanic community, and yet there is no real liturgical or sacramental significance here. It is purely cultural. Priests who have not served these community before find themselves absolutely startled at what a gigantic event this really is. On the other hand, it's my understanding that the USCCB fairly recently relented and approved certain prayers and rituals for the event, which strikes me as very smart indeed, an accomodation with a rich precedent in history.
    Thanked by 2Claire H Adam Wood
  • Definitely. They spend sometimes more money on Quinces, sometimes upwards of 10-30,000 dollars, than is spent at some weddings. We do about 40-60 quinces a year, and it's amazing what they will spend money on. One nice thing about doing them is, rarely do you have to sit down and go over music, most times they just give you free reign to pick.
  • Maureen
    Here's the USCCB Quinceanera/Fiesta de Quince page. Just info.

Here's the Ft. Worth diocesan page on it, which includes the actual Blessing words and such.

Being a debutante is a big thing, too, in places where they still do that. The difference is that, instead of pooling the Season, each family is holding a small ball of their own, or with likeminded friends, to launch their girl/s into society. Very Regency, which isn't surprising when you consider when Mexico and most quinceanera countries split off from Spain. In this country, it's holding together immigrant pride and showing that each family has been able to do well by their girls (and thus by their boys, too), and letting people know that their girls are a good catch. Thanking God with a Mass and begging Him for continued blessings is consonant with the occasion.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that the identification with Maya and Aztec and Toltec maiden ceremonies is total BS, similar to people claiming that Mexican and English Morris dances are actually ancient pagan ceremonies, instead of something brought over fairly recently by a vogue in Spanish pop culture. But it probably makes people happy to have the illusion of indigenousness, out of pride. But it's sad that USCCB doesn't research better.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • benedictgal
    Actually, for the Ordinary, you could try to the Ordinario that Fr. Spencer composed. It is the correct Spanish text (no responsorial Gloria) and it is set to the ICEL chant found in the Roman Missal.

As for the hymns, Manuel Garcia's Buenaventurara Eres, Virgen Maria, which is the Magnificat, is excellent. I can scan the copy that I have and send it to you. This could be for the Offertory.

For the entrance, I would pick the Spanish version of "All Creatures of Our God and King" as this might be long enough for a lengthy procession. For Communion, I would pick something traditional like "Altissimo Senor". Trust me. There will be someone, more than likely an elderly woman, who knows that hymn and can help carry it. For the recessional, you could try something like "Cantemos al Amor", which is also traditional and the same scenario for Communion would apply here.
  • Just a point of clarification: Quincenera is the term for the honoree; the Quince Anos celebration would be used to describe the event.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    Here is a thread with organ accompaniments for the ordinario by Fr. Spencer which benedictgal mentioned. They are identical to those you would find for the English chants of the 3rd Roman Missal translation.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6631/accompaniments-for-spanish-ordinaries#Item_1
  • Hey!

You may want to check out this YT video, it's a mix of quinceanera songs (or so it says at least :x). Maybe you will like something you hear there. When I was organizing a quinceanera for my daughter though, I remember dress to be the biggest challenge for me. Finding a good and not expensive one was really troublesome. But we succeeded, everything went smoothly, and the music was great as well. Cheers!