People who time Masses.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    There are some experiences that you hope never end.

And today, Mass is not one of them for most people. You can tell by their complaints about the length of homilies.

A blogger mentions:

In 2007, The Washington Post conducted an experiment with the help of renowned violinist Joshua Bell. Bell, in street clothes and unidentified, busked a Washington Metro station and played for 45 minutes. During his 45 minute performance he made just over $32 and was largely ignored by the approximately 1,100 people who passed him by.

What’s different about Bell on stage and Bell in a subway station? Certainly not his playing. The difference is the environment. And I think that plays here as well.

When people attend Mass today they are not looking forward to being uplifted, no matter what the folkies say, they are looking to do something they have to do, like going to the dentist, and getting it over with.

It's like group confession. Isn't there an air of sneaking by, not directly facing your confessor and getting shriven anyhow?

They've destroyed the environment that was the church in many ways, including ruining the acoustics for music and as a result being forced to amplify everything just to be heard.

Thank you to those who have seen through this and gone on to create better things.
  • GavinGavin
    It seems strange to me that people design church to meet the desires of people who don't want to go to church. Shorter services, popular music, weak theology.

And then they wonder why people don't want to go to church, when that's the kind of attitude they feed.
  • Claire H

Wow, this strikes a chord. The comparison to the Joshua Bell scenario (which I am familiar with) is a good one...

Yes, people "timing" Mass is a real struggle. Our pastor, who can get a little carried away at times in his preaching and who loves to use lots of incense on holy days (which can lengthen things by just a couple minutes, you know), has gotten raked over the coals when the Mass started extending beyond 1:10...
  • IanWIanW
    Noel: I agree with your wider point, but not with the instance. Other things being equal, a lengthy homily is likely to be out of balance with the ritual context unless it is so well done that we don't notice the passage of time. Also, if a priest or deacon can't make his point in 3 minutes, he probably isn't too sure what it is.
  • canadashcanadash
    We have to time masses. Parking is a HUGE issue. So is beginning the next mass on time. The last mass of the day is longer. The faithful know this and choose accordingly.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CharlesW
    Our masses are closely scheduled and emptying the parking lots for the next group is quite important. However, as a Byzantine accustomed to liturgies at least twice as long, I don't worry so much if the mass runs over a bit. Aside from the practical considerations such as parking, it is a matter of perspective as to what is too long.
    Thanked by 2Gavin ContraBombarde
  • GavinGavin
    I was out for dinner recently with members of the local AGO chapter. I was very amused to hear them complaining about the length of sermons, "I just wish they could give a good short sermon, under 15 minutes!"

15 minutes would cause a riot in the Catholic church. For my part, I prefer a bad long sermon to a bad short sermon. At least the priest with the bad long sermon is making an effort.
  • Liam
    Parking indeed is a major factor for this in many American parishes, and has been for decades (though it would have been even worse had the noon cutoff for Mass lived on into the 1960s). And minimalism (just focusing on satisfaction of preceptual obligations) has been a foundation for this far far longer than that.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    But do we as musicians work to create an environment in which their expectations are for better than the average fare?

After I left the last parish a lady who wrote a scathing letter to me and the pastor about the changes I put into place and how they adversely affected the PIP four years earlier was heard to ask the second week I was gone, "Where did the lovely music go?".

Lady, it went out the door with me. If we do not work to establish and create the hot house environment in which sacred music will flourish, it just won't happen.
  • PMulholland
    Gavin,
    I must disagree with the long v. short bad sermon. If the priest can't preach, then please make a simple exhortation on the liturgical day. Less than 5mins of that could be far more effective than most of the sermons I hear. (I do appreciate your thought about effort, but when the effort hurts....)

Practicality aside, the spiritual life needs the Mass, (Source and summit of the Spiritual life?) So due time should be taken to carry out the Sacred Actions, that being said as musicians, we should not prolong the Mass due to our efforts as the music should flow with the timing of the liturgy.

Peter
  • If they have to count the minutes, have they really participated in the liturgy? have they really participated in Christ's sacrifice? These are the real questions. Homilies long or short,,, good or bad,,, and there are plenty on both ends of the spectrum, but the point to worshiping is to glorify the Trinity, and if we must sit there and look at the clock,,, hmm,,,, seems like they really didn't care, and saw it just as a nuisance, obligation that they had to do, much like brushing teeth, getting an oil change, going to the store.... just another chore.

I used to sit through 1 1/2 - 2 hr Masses, Spanish ones can tend to get long..... Where I am at now, they are very careful because of back to back Masses, and parking. It's understandable.... Really we just have to let God worry about that... the weeds among the wheat..... as long as your intentions for participating in the Mass are genuine.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Whoever above said in effect that liturgical style was determined to appease those who really would prefer to be somewhere other than mass is spot on. These are the ones who always seem to be the beneficiaries of 'pastoral considerations'. These are the ones who must be coddled and entertained with pop music.

And parking? Well, perhaps if masses were scheduled two hours apart instead of an hour or an hour and a half, this would not be a problem... either for parking or for seemly liturgy.

Did anyone ever hear of timing football games?
    Do enthusiasts ever worry about parking at sporting events?

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    "At least the priest with the bad long sermon is making an effort."

I'm not so sure about that. Choosing what to say requires effort.
  • If people have to time the masses for no other reason that to get out to be somewhere else, then why bother going at all? This bothers me to no end. Most people only go to mass once a week on Sundays. I can't help but wonder if the same people who say, bowl once a week, or play bunco once a week, time that. "Better hurry up and deal, as I have somewhere else to be". Just this morning I received an e-mail from a singer regarding my solicitation for singers for Confirmation mass on Saturday. His answer: "I will be there if something else doesn't come up". Don't bother.
  • You should write him back and tell him, the next time trouble strikes in his life, maybe God should tell him, he might be there if nothing else comes up.
    Thanked by 1Musicteacher56
  • GavinGavin
    Eh, I was making the sermon comment as a personal opinion. Everyone else can agree or disagree.

I was thinking, "I can count all the good short sermons I've heard on one hand." Then I tried. Couldn't remember any. I guess it's association from growing up Catholic and later in life attending protestant churches - I've heard a LOOOT of bad short sermons. And most of the long sermons I've heard have been good. Even most of the bad long sermons I've heard have been from otherwise good preachers, just having an "off" day.

To the point, some of the most holy services I've player for was probably at an historic black Anglo-Catholic church where I played organ. They did EVERYTHING deliberately, and with extreme attention to detail. And they didn't do anything until that moment was good and over. From the vesting of the priest to the prayers of the people, to the last note of the postlude. Services were regularly an hour and 30 minutes at a minimum, if not over two. It was an intensely spiritual experience, and I always looked forward to it. I've only ever found the same experience in an Antiochian Orthodox mission.

This is church for people who like church.
  • Amen, Gavin. I don't believe in getting people to "fill the seats", just for numbers sake, etiher. My parish is big on numbers for anything.......CHRP, Cursillo, ministries, etc. As long as there are 25 people signed up for "this", or 40 people signed up for "that", they are happy. I don't agree with that at all and it hurts my heart. I wonder if one of the apostles was absent for the Last Supper, if the Eucharist wouldn't have taken place? People should go to mass because they need to be fed, not because they are encouraged to keep up the numbers, and just go "because I feel I have to go, but get nothing out of it".

Again, church should NOT be for "people who like church", but rather be something everybody looks forward to to be nourished. If people felt that way, then every mass would be a new experience and engaging in it would be something to look forward to, not something that "has to be done because the Third Commandment says so".
  • chonakchonak
    To give credit where it's due, a long sermon that shows some structure does show some effort. But most of the bad long sermons I hear seem like just rambling streams of semi-consciousness, so I suspect that they didn't get much prep.
  • Perhaps the most significant person who ever clocked a mass was Palestrina, who wrote each Missa Brevis in a way so as to not impede the flow of the ceremonial of the Mass. He must have had a Renaissance version of a stopwatch at hand as he composed. :)