How to get .pdf of Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles?
  • JLOliver
    Greetings, I just stumbled upon this forum. I saw a reference to .pdf copies of this hymnal--can anyone tell me how I can go about getting a copy in .pdf?

Many thanks.

Jeannette Oliver
    St. Mark the Evangelist
    Hyattsville, Maryland
  • Jeannette,

Although there are scanned copies of the hymnal floating around, they are illicit. Yet, I think it's safe to say you will not be sued if you download one, particularly since the hymnal is fighting for survival on its home turf in Cambridge - amid great controversy I might add.

Perhaps someone with an electronic file will contact you via e-mail.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'd be grateful to get the same if anyone comes along. Just message me.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    You will be contacted before too long by generous souls offering a PDF copy of this out-of-print book.

It works just like magic! I had like 5 people offer them to me. Be persistent.
  • expeditus1
    Now you got me all excited, too! Keep me in the loop, as well.
  • rich_enough
    It's available on Scribd under nicholasjordansherwood8993.
  • Liam
    I should note that, while the scanned version is at least a second printing that reflects some corrections to the first printing, there are further minor corrections that the musicians at St Paul's in Cambridge have for the past 25-30 years been rather obsessively been handing down, too, so if there's something that doesn't seem right to you, it might be the object of one of those.... (That said, the editorial quality is quite high compared to most commercial hymnals, and this hymnal covers far more ground than they typically do.)
  • chonakchonak
    Liam, if you have a list of errata, that would be of interest to other readers!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Liam
    Not really: I just have pencilled annotations on applicable pages, and even mine is not as comprehensive as some others for a variety of reasons. The wonderful couple who were long working diligently on the engraving of a new edition probably have the best list, but I will leave things at that for now.
  • JLOliver
    When going to www.scribd.com and doing a search for nicholasjordansherwood8993 nothing comes up. Can you let me know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
  • JLOliver
    Never mind--found it.
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Aaaha! Wonderful! I own a one choir edition of this hymnal and enough pew versions for a whole church - but I would also love a pdf. version. Can I get in the loop? Thanks!
    Nevermind....posted too soon. I'll try suggestions above.
  • Above, Chonak asked Liam if there was a list of errata. One error is found in the sequence for Corpus Christi (No. 150 in the hymnal). Verse four begins with "Tu-que cuncta" when it should read "Tu qui cuncta."

This shortened version of the sequence begins with the verse "Ecce panis angelorum" and is therefore particularly useful for church environments that might be, shall we say, resistant to a sung Latin sequence. The hymnal provides a clear English translation.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yeah, HSSC is now out of print. I am fortunate to have taken over at a parish and school where the old director had several pew and choir editions of various hymnals, including the Adoremus Hymnal, and of course the HSSC. Since the new translation of the Roman Missal occurred, the HSSC is no longer usable at our parish, especially since we never purchased an entire set of them. I was lucky enough to find an organ/choir edition in the music room, and the principal let me keep it!
  • bonniebede
    I see the one on scribd but can't afford to subscribe to scribd. Anyone care to share a free version?
  • LarsLars
    anyone have a pdf? scribd is not very helpful.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I have the actual book. Let me see about scanning it. FYI:my favorite Catholic hymnal....
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • LarsLars
    p.s.: got it sorted
  • rich_enough
    @Lars - I sent you a message.
  • chonakchonak
    For what it's worth, there's a copy of the choir/organ edition out there at
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qkpam79q6bt5x7x6usdnd/HPSC1983Choir.pdf?rlkey=1xsznqe5gdgai2zgnpw78rbdp&dl=0
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • Also, for what it is worth, back in February of 2019, I contacted (then Director), John Robinson. "I recently found a copy of Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles online. I would like to use a few pieces from there at my parish. Could you point me in the right direction to secure copyright permission? I'd like to be able to print the pages that I wish to use for the choir, and refrains as needed in order of worship booklets for the congregation. Is this a permission that can be granted?"

The response - "The copyright is owned by St. Paul's Choir School, so yes, I'm happy to give you permission for internal use. Please don't publish anything for sale or wider distribution."

Now, granted, I cannot just post here a blanket permission, as it is not mine to give. However, calling the PDF "illicit," may be a stretch, I'm sure that Mr. Robinson was (or became) aware that it is floating out there digitally.

My 2 cents (fwiw), would be to contact the choir school and ask similar for your own use. To this day, I retain that email in my digital files, and a physical copy of the email in any folder of the music library in which is kept any music printed from the source.

Also be aware that the collection contains several pieces whose copyright is owned by other, and sometimes even major 3-letter publishers. So, depending on what you find there, be sure to trace the original copyright of the music and get it from the source, if possible.

Best!