Psalm Psources...
  • I'm developing a "Responsorial Psalm, It's Your Choice" workshop and intend to introduce, explain and perform the multiple forms of what is available and possible from the Graduale Romanum on down to the commercially produced OCP/GIA which I have my hands on, Psalitte and whatever WLP offers I am ordering this afternoon.

Our choir and members of the choir who are psalmists will sing...and that includes Mary Weaver. who is leading the formation of an East Tennessee CMAA Chapter right now....

It will follow the same psalm through:

Graduale Romanum
    The American Gradual
    The Anglican Use Gradual
    Graduale Simplex
    Latin Text chanted using Psalm Tone
    Latin Text chanted Recto Tono
    By Flowing Waters
    Chabanel Psalms
    English Lectionary Text - Chanted Using using Psalm Tone
    English Lectionary Text - Chanted Using Meinrad Psalm Tones
    English Lectionary Text - Chanted Recto Tono
    OCP
    GIA
    WLP
    Psallitte

so what other generally available sources have I failed to include, please. Your help is appreciated.
  • And, I will receive, when ready, postings objecting to and in support of each version from list members, to be compiled and shared with participants so they get more than just my opinion....fair enough?
  • fromCA
    I think that is a real neat idea. Just F.Y.I. many artists have been posting Psalms on the Chabanel Psalms site recently. I don't want to mention who they are (because I don't want to forget anyone) but I would say that Sam Schmitt will have posted (in the next few weeks) a Psalm for every single feast day in the three year Cycle, and his work is excellent and inspiring. Arlene Oost-Zinner also posts her antiphons every week. Chabanel Psalms has lots of different options, and continues to grow every day.
    I hope you record your sampling and make it available online for all to see!
    What a fascinating project!
    from Jeff O. in California
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Hi Noel (and all),

Last fall I asked for some advice regarding the Responsorial Psalm (and lots of other things) from Jeffrey and Arlene, who kindly forwarded my queries to Prof. Mahrt. I was privileged to receive a very detailed reply.

I had stated that I thought the Owen Alstott settings were rather dignified, as far as OCP things go, and that I appreciated the fact that they adhered to the Lectionary text. I mentioned that I rather liked them, to some extent. His most thoughtful reply:

The answer to this question depends upon how seriously you take the injunction that Gregorian chant have pride of place, and whether you would take that principle to the point of preferring a Gregorian gradual over a responsorial psalm (which GIRM does allow). If you do, and I do, then what you do there should at least point in that direction, and the use of a psalm tone might be a step in that direction. Likewise, I would experiment with the English settings of the Graduale Simplex (such as By Flowing Waters). I do not find these ideal in any sense, but they are probably better than the OCP things.

In my view, the problem with the OA settings is partly in the texts; the texts are so short that it is hard to compose a refrain melody easy enough for the congregation to pick up on the fly that has substantial musical coherence, this coherence depending upon elements of repetition and of establishing a clear tonal or modal center. Thus so often you hear a final cadence in these melodies that is not very final. In such a short space a very final cadence seems trite and a not so final cadence seems incoherent.

The more serious question about the responsorial psalm or gradual is what is the purpose of that part of the Mass proper? That is something that I addressed a little bit at our colloquium last summer, and will address in Sacred Music in a future issue.

I'll mention that I really admire Jeff O.'s wonderful efforts in the Chabanel Psalms project (and have used them occasionally). I also like seeing Arlene's antiphons there as well, and have used them, too.

In the meantime, I'm still using OCP here more often than not. One "benefit" (?) is that it's what's printed in the Missalettes.
  • incantuincantu
    Please be sure to include some of the English modal psalms from Columba Kelly and St. Meinrad. The Advent-Christmas and Lent-Easter psalms may already be on your GIA list.

I have just finished going through year B and choosing the best setting from a variety of composers. In addition to being easy to sing from memory, there following are my selection criteria, in order of importance:

1) modal
    2) free rhythm
    3) versatility (works unaccompanied, optional parts for organ or choir)

More often than not, I have ended up choosing the setting by Theodore Marier, as found in Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles. The downside is that the verses use a different translation than the Lectionary. The upside is that the verses, set to Gregorian psalm tones, can easily be sung with the Lectionary texts. This volume might not be easily available, but it's worth tracking down.

WLP publishes three volumes (one for each liturgical year) of Psalms and Ritual Music. Pros: Verses are set to psalm tones (both Gregorian and composed), the antiphons will appeal to the "contemporary" crowd, making this collection an improvement over the soloistic Haas and Haugen settings. Cons: The antiphons are tonal, have regular time signatures, often repeat text, and employ frequent syncopations.
  • OlbashOlbash
    I would also include a segment on Gelineau psalmody. Sure, the Grail psalms aren't approved for Mass, but any parish that has Worship hymnals is pretty much stuck with them -- and, furthermore, if the stuff OCP/GIA/etc. publishes can be used as a responsorial psalm, then surely the Gelineau repertoire is legal. The reason I bring it up is because, as an organist, I am astounded at how many cantors have no clue how to sing them properly. (And, conversely, as a cantor, I am astounded at how many organists don't know how to PLAY them properly.)

And do get your hands on some Marier psalmody from Hymns Psalms & Spiritual Canticles. I can hook you up if you need copies. The Boston Archdiocesan Choir School owns the copyright to all of Marier's work and are always very generous in allowing them to be reproduced. (There is non-Marier stuff in the HP&SC -- those pieces have some tricky copyright issues, and that's one of the big reasons we've never seen a second edition.)

Finally, does anyone have a recording of Mahrt's lecture on this topic from the 2007 colloquium? It was inspiring, and it would be an excellent model for Noel's project.
  • incantuincantu
    Olbash, why don't you twist someone's arm over at BACSto post just the psalmody on-line? It would be an invaluable resource.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Mght be awkward while I have an outstanding application for employment there. But I've got the whole hymnal scanned as a pdf, thanks to Beaker -- perhaps I shall twist said arm over the next few weeks.
  • All good suggestions. I'm going to zero in on a particular psalm....thought 23rd, but have rethought that for a number of reasons. Once I have picked one as a sample, I will post, and will appreciate any materials, along with availability for it.

And tank you, Musica Sacra for a Forum that has excellent spell checking and editing after posting enabled....
  • rich_enough
    Thanks to Jeff O from CA for his kind comments. My psalm settings are for cantor and choir - the choir part being conspicuously absent from most lectionary psalm collections (unless one chooses to sing the parts given in Alstott psalms, for example).

My settings are modelled after Theodore Marier's from his hymnal (which I sang at mass for a number of years), with a chant-like antiphon and a cantor alternating with choir for the psalm verses. I decided to take a shot at my own settings since Marier's texts often do not match the current lectionary. I have written my own antiphons but have adapted Renaissance faux bourdons for the choral parts in the verses.

I found Dr. Mahrt' s presentation on the responsorial psalm at the 2007 colloquium enlightening and fascinating, as I am sure others did as well. I hope that frogmusicnj was there or at least has the handout. I agree with Dr. Mahrt that the gradual is the preferred option. However, given that one has to do a responsorial psalm, I have found that a choral setting lends it wonderful dignity in the context of the liturgy of the word. It also leads to benefits for the choir in terms of discipline, enunciation, and also the "pride" in singing such an integral part of the liturgy.

BTW, I would love to see a reprint of HP&SC - if only of the psalter. There is the problem of the texts, however.

Sam Schmitt
  • incantuincantu
    Sam, I would love to see more of your work. After going through all the published psalms I could find for year B (including the praiseworthy work of Marier and Ostrowski), I still haven't found settings for Sundays 5,6,7,14,and 17 of Ordinary Time; and Sundays 3 and 4 in Lent that are a perfect fit for my congregation and choir.
  • fromCA
    Sam,

The fact that you are making your wonderful settings available is HIGHLY to be commended. THANK YOU!
  • Olbash wrote:
    I would also include a segment on Gelineau psalmody. Sure, the Grail psalms aren't approved for Mass, but any parish that has Worship hymnals is pretty much stuck with them -- and, furthermore, if the stuff OCP/GIA/etc. publishes can be used as a responsorial psalm, then surely the Gelineau repertoire is legal. The reason I bring it up is because, as an organist, I am astounded at how many cantors have no clue how to sing them properly. (And, conversely, as a cantor, I am astounded at how many organists don't know how to PLAY them properly.)

The approval of 1963 Grail for Mass appears to be unofficial, but as I understand things, the USCCB has given them the same kind of approval that Rome gave to having women’s feet washed on Holy Thursday: they declined conspicuously, to smack-down on the practice, which in all ways but technicality legalizes the practice.
  • rich_enough
    "I still haven't found settings for Sundays 5,6,7,14,and 17 of Ordinary Time; and Sundays 3 and 4 in Lent that are a perfect fit for my congregation and choir."
    incantu,

I'm in the process of copying these very psalms and will be submitting them to the Chanabel Psalms website in the next few weeks. I hope you find them helpful!

Sam Schmitt
  • Alteration...the Psalm of choice for the workshop is now Christmas...and Christmas Year B where it applies. I have gotten lots of advice on and offline, all of which is appreciated. Anyone doing their own psalms, please get this one to me and full information on website and availability and I will do my best to include it.
  • incantuincantu
    I think Christmas is a good choice. I remember having to do a seasonal psalm for some of the Christmas Masses because the setting of the hour was so poor. On that note, please do not judge all of the Gelineau psalms based on the antiphons (which have been set by various people, Proulx among the best). As I recall, one of the Christmas antiphons is particularly weak.
  • What an interesting workshop yours will be! In your list of chant 'styles', however, you did not mention Anglican chant. The most readily available source, of course, would be back of The Hymnal 1940 or the front of The Hymnal 1982. Another good source is The Parish Psalter With Chants (Faith Press). And, there are numerous books of just chants, many of which, such as The New Cathedral Psalter Chants (Novello), can be easily had from Lois Fyfe in Atlanta. I have often used Anglican chant with the Resp.Ps quite successfully - this as well as the remaining lesser propers, using an 'approved' Biblical translation into English. Also, one can use, for the psalm, an Anglican chant in alternation with a Gregorian Tone as one would a faburden. This, obviously, requires careful matching of tonality-modality.

Gelineau is, of course, very beautiful when done well. It would seem to have a relationship with Anglican chant and faburden.

I am glad to see The Anglican Use Gradual on your list. This is an excellent alternative, though (being AU I can say this) like most settings other than Gregorian, they really need to be given a rest once in a while. And, the Tudor English would, I think, be somewhat jarring against the current language of the Novus Ordo - one could, of course, always substitue modern pronouns.

Another outstanding source for the psalter in English set to Gregorian psalm tones is Saint Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter (Lancelot Andrewes Press). This current book is a badly needed substitute for the famous Plainsong Psalter edited by Canon Winfred Douglas and last published by HW Gray. I am disappointed that singing the psalm to a psalm tone is all but unheard of in our Catholic churches now. Rarely does one meet a 'cantor' who knows what one is!

By Flowing Waters is on your list. This is, I say in much company, a fine and well-grounded contribution to the repertory. There is only this problem: it falls far short of providing Propers for all the Sundays in Tempus per Annum. Why? (Do I have a faulty copy?)

Good luck with your workshop! The lesser propers are terribly overlooked, as are ways of singing them which are grounded in our heritage.

Jackson Osborn - Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston.
  • incantuincantu
    Jackson,

Do I detect a tongue in cheek regarding BFW? If not, the issue of propers vs. seasonal antiphons has been addressed extensively on this forum by the editor himself. The fact that so much confusion remains about this resource and its inspiration, the Graduale Simplex (which I now only refer to in Latin so as not to confuse it with a different publication called The Simple Gradual), is further reason we should invite Paul Ford to speak at the next Colloquium!
  • Olbash, contact me at moconnor09 aT comcast dOt net. I'm interested in your pdfs!

Mike
  • Paul F. Ford
    Jackson,

I see that you are new to this list. Welcome.
    By Flowing Waters is on your list. This is, I say in much company, a fine and well-grounded contribution to the repertory. There is only this problem: it falls far short of providing Propers for all the Sundays in Tempus per Annum. Why? (Do I have a faulty copy?)

As "incantu" says, we've talked about this before. See Gregorian Chant: Graduale Simplex: notation and translation

Blessings,
    Paul