Your favourite mass setting (new translation)?
  • canadashcanadash
    Does anyone care to share their favourite mass setting for the new translation?

(I edited this post after I realized that it was not specific enough.)
  • CGM
    My favorite is the luminous, impossibly beautiful six-voice "Requiem in memoriam Josquin Desprez" by Jean Richafort. Having sung it at a few memorial Masses over the years, it only gets more miraculous each time. As with all great music, words fail.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Here's a gorgeous recording of that Requiem by Vox, an early-music ensemble based in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
  • benedictgal
    I love the ICEL Mass chants and I especially love Fr. Matthew Spencer's adaptation of the ICEL for Spanish. These are certainly far superior, in my opinion, to the Spanish-language stuff that OCP offers.

As far as revised settings go, I love the revised Gloria from a New Mass for a Congregation and the revised Community Mass Sanctus and Memorial acclamation by the late Richard Proulx. They are easy to sing.
  • CGM
    On the revised topic, I really like this one:
    http://www.benesonarium.com/roman-missal/
    Thanked by 2canadash chonak
  • Missa Papa Marcelli, hands down
  • BenBen
    I really like Missa Salve Regina, which is based on the solemn tone of the salve regina. I heard it a while back, and I absolutely loved it. I don't know if it's my favorite (there's so many!), but it's certainly high on the list.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    My own, of course. ;-)
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Pärt's Missa Syllabica
  • Heath
    In the Diocese of Peoria, we chose the ICEL setting and Janco's Mass of Wisdom for all to learn. The Janco is quite nice; the Gloria is the best I've found (at least, in settings that can "bridge the gap", so to speak . . . can be done in a contemp. or traditional manner), the Sanctus is quite nice, and the rest is serviceable.
  • I agree about the Janco "Mass of Wisdom." Not the best thing in the whole world, but it's singable and melodically interesting, not to mention adaptable to traditional or contemporary performances.

We've also used a bit of the Steve Warner "Mass of Charity and Love" (which I liked quite a bit more when I bought it than I do now) and the Proulx "Gloria Simplex." Looking for a new setting to introduce and I am stuck between the "Mass of the Angels" (CNP Publications) and the "Mass of the Immaculate Conception" (from the Basilica in DC).
  • Heath
    I know that the big question when we selected the Janco was, "Will this wear well with time?" That's a hard question to answer at the outset . . . I think that was one of the contributing factors to the success of Haugen's MoCreation. I probably played it 1000+ times, and I was sick of it by last November, but I didn't want to bash my head on the organ each time I had to play it.
  • canadashcanadash
    Jeffrey, would you provide a copy? Maybe you already have?
  • kevinfkevinf
    I really wonder if this "bridge the gap" attitude is a lowest common denominator notion. This was discussed heavily in this part of the world as an acceptable determining factor for mass settings. For years I accepted this notion, but have grown weary of it of late because it tends to cheapen the whole experience.
  • Charles in CenCA
    One of the things I do agree with our friend Todd Flowerday is that it may take many years for the pre-eminent equivilent of the so-called "default" American Mass such as MOC. However, I don't think that "all things to all people" aesthetic that was embraced and touted necesssarily needs to be the first and foremost concern for such a Mass to ascend. Mike Joncas' recent new Mass is a kind of boullabaise version of that which few parishes could really adopt and appreciate for years.
    What I believe would help the process would be for the BCL/USCCB to articulate some addendum recommendations that would give composers some clear notions of when it's appropriate to write for choir alone, or in alternatim with congregation, and when and how to include the congregation's voice and participation without sacrificing artistic integrity and beauty.
    Thanked by 3canadash Ally kevinf
  • MairiMairi
    We use the Missa Simplex... Which, I must confess, is rather grating. For anyone who has not heard it, it is essentially the same motif over and over again. It is beneficial from the perspective of the congregation, but I would love to have something else. I honestly haven't heard many other settings.
  • ralvarez
    You can listen to the aforementioned National Shrine settings here.
  • Mike R
    I like the Gloria from the Missa Simplex a great deal, but I'm with Mairi that it's a bit too much for an entire setting.

Since Palm Sunday, we have used the Mass in Honor of St. Dominic by Matthew Still. It's probably the best "mainstream" setting I've heard, and is really quite versatile.

I have a whole spreadsheet with my thoughts on the various settings I've heard, but it's on my other (broken) computer.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Marc Cerisier
    We've used the Mass for the City (Proulx) for diocesan masses with brass and it's been quite nice.

In the parish, we've also used the Keil Francis Cabrini Mass and Janco's revised Mass of Redemption.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I haven't heard the Francis Cabrini Mass before. It is quite lovely on first hearing. Have the parishioners liked it?
  • That was the only mass setting from OCP that I loved. I got voted down on using it by our pastoral comittee. Now I'm stuck with storrington.

I think that Cabrini mass would have been excellent in our parish. I personally ordered the music myself, to have a copy ready for the next opportunity that I can put a better mass in, without having to have everyone's yeh.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Marc Cerisier
    We went from all refrain-based Gloria's to all through-composed with the new translation, so that was the only real complaint. Other than that, the Keil Mass has been well received.

It really stood out among other non-chant Mass Settings for the quality of choral writing. We must have played through 40-50 settings that day. When you see them all in close proximity things like that really stand out.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • canadashcanadash
    Yes, when I listened to it, the choral writing is what struck me. I am also looking for a through-composed Mass setting and I may have found something that fits the bill. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Yes, I have to say, he wrote that piece really well. You know what's funny about that though?? OCP seems to have really given it, very little attention. In fact, it's not in any of their missalettes or music issue. It's the same old Schutte/Hurd klan, dominating the spot light.

For a regular mass setting, non-chant, it defintiely fits the bill, as canadash suggested. I may sneek it in one day, and see if anyone says anything to me.
  • Marc Cerisier
    It also was not available in print form in time for the early implementation. We had to print our own, which was a pain.
  • At the English Masses, we have been using the "ICEL settings." We also use the updated
    Eucharistic Acclamations from Proulx's "Community Mass," "Festival Eucharist" and the
    Schubert "Deutsche Messe." Later this month we will start using Fr. Weber's "Mass of
    Saint Thomas More" (Kyrie Option I & Gloria Option II). I introduced the two movements to the children at rehearsal today- they "picked them right up." Teach the children!!!! They will teach the adults.
  • Kevin_Keil
    Thanks for the kind words about the Mass of St. Frances Cabrini. I agree that OCP needs to promote it more. At least they finally put it into printed form. If enough people call OCP and request it in a missal, it might happen.