Ordination of a Deacon
  • Where can I find the Propers for a Diaconal Ordination Mass?
  • Assuming you mean in the OF, I'm pretty sure they're the same for all Masses for the Conferral of Holy Orders.

Graduale Romanum, page 644, in the Missae Rituales section. There are quite a few options.
  • Thanks. Yes, I found it just prior to reading your post. Thanks again.
  • Well, actually, the proper chants have been updated since the 1974 Graduale. I'll post everything I have collected for my students at my seminary.

If I can help in any way, please ask.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thank you so much!
  • Paul,

Is it possible to upload your Word files as PDF? I can't open the Word files...
  • What font do I need to read the Euntes in mundum?
  • steven van roode, open office is free and opens and saves in all types of files, including microsoft word
  • The problem is that Word doesn't recognise the Euntes in mundum as a readable file. And from ClemensRomanus I understand that there is a font issue. PDF solves both problems.
  • Dr. Ford,

Thanks for the updates! Are there any other parts of the 1974 Graduale that have been updated since? Where can I find these updates, generally?
  • It looks like it's the encoding I'm actually having trouble with. A pdf version would be awesome. Thank goodness Microsoft has the save-as-pdf plugin for free.
  • Here are the two PDF files you asked for, ClemensRomanus.

Andrew, you can find these updates in the various ritual books that Rome publishes. My seminary library has most of them. Which ones would you like me to consult for you?
  • Thank you so much, Paul. By the way, you can call me Gerry. May God bless you and your ministry.
  • Thanks, Dr. Ford. I didn't have anything particular in mind. I was just curious if there was a master list of "errata" to the Graduale. Are most of the changes to the ritual masses or are there quite a few in the yearly proper as well?
  • Is the Litany of Saints any different from the one sung at the Easter Vigil?
  • Yes, Gerry, the Litany is different. Do you need it in English or Latin?

Andrew, I would not characterize them as "errata" but refinements. In the rituals the Vatican demonstrates greater and greater sensitivity to the authentic chant repertory and the treasury of antiphonal and even psalmic materials.
  • I'm not sure which my bishop prefers for the Litany, may I please have both English and Latin versions? Thanks again. I'm still very new at chant, and I really appreciate all the help you've given.
  • Here is the Latin OF litany. English coming soon.
  • Many thanks.
  • Dr. Ford (or anyone else who might know), I've got a diaconal ordination for May 12 (Saturday in Wk 5 of Easter) and we're trying to use the full Gregorian, Latin Propers. We don't want to sing anything in English, we don't want to sing anything from the Graduale Simplex, and we don't care about the Missal antiphons; we just want to use the Roman Gradual.

I've got the chants for the Beati Qui Habitant and Si Quis Mihi ready to go. I was a bit confused by your list given in the Euntes in mundum/Ecce Ego document, so I'd instead ask if you have any way just to find the titles of the chants from the Graduale Romanum that I'm supposed to use for Introit, Gradual or Paschal Alleluia, Alleluia, Offertory, and Communion. Or could/should I just use the options presented on pg. 644 of the Roman Gradual for conferring Holy Orders? I figure I could also just use the propers for the day.
  • nknutson
    and all these years later, the question remains.

Understanding that many Ordinations may have historically used propers of the Saints, votives, etc...it is easy to see why the Propers as listed by the "Transitional" Pontifical and 2002 MR are not being used...they do not exist in regularly attainable Latin settings. When one finds them, it is discovered that they are in fact simplex style Office Antiphons!

The Graduale options still remain the best options, as we continue to await the revised Pontifical.