Gloria required during a Funeral in the octave of Easter?
  • Claire H

??

Answers/sources please?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I haven't looked up the rubrics myself, but I asked my pastor about this yesterday, and he said that it was not required. Consequently, I did not do one at the funeral I did yesterday.
  • Ally
    It appears to be just at the Mass of the day ("Wednesday within the Octave of Easter"). My pastor also said it is not required for funerals.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • ryandryand
    Funeral Mass does not include a Gloria.

I would personally assume this to apply to all funerals, but I have not been to 8 years of seminary.

The two priests I worked with at funerals this week, however, have had their 8 years - and told me (independently) that there is no Gloria in a Funeral Mass.
  • No Gloria at all Masses for the Dead, whenever celebrated.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Resurrecting. I have a funeral on Tuesday. Are we sure there is no Gloria? I was under the impression ritual Masses were not allowed during the Octave and that the Gloria was required for all Masses during the Easter octave.

Also, how is this handled? I'm assuming it's a Mass for the Day with elements of the Ritual inserted (namely, the commendation). I'm thinking, based on how I had to handle the wedding this week:

- Reception of the Body
    - Procession
    - Penitential Act
    - (Gloria?)
    - Reading from Acts (of the day)
    - Psalm of the day
    - New Testament Reading from the Ritual
    - Optional Easter Sequence
    - Alleluia and verse from the day
    - Gospel of the day
    - Typical Liturgy of the Eucharist
    - Postcommunion Prayer
    - Commendation
    - Solemn Dismissal
    - Procession to the cemetery.

Thoughts?
  • ronkrisman
    GIRM 380:
    Among the Masses for the Dead, the Funeral Mass holds first place. It may be celebrated on any day except for Solemnities that are Holydays of Obligation, Thursday of Holy Week (Holy Thursday), the Paschal Triduum, and the Sundays of Advent, Lent, and Easter, with due regard also for all the other requirements of the norm of the law.145

Days within the octave of Easter are solemnities, but they are not holydays of obligation.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    THANK YOU, GOOD SIR!